Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danbcooper

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2015
I also have a 6s on 10.3.3.
What's your feedback so far?
Is iOS 12 as fast as 10.3.3?
And what about battery life?
Thank you so much!

It’s definitely faster. Buy I think the battery life took a hit (my battery is at 84% health tho, so it’s bad anyway)
[doublepost=1537935627][/doublepost]
Thanks @danbcooper ; BTW, are you suffering any overheating with the new iOS12?

iPhone 6s overheating after upgrading to iOS12

No overheating. The phone is definitely faster, but the battery took a hit.

torakaru

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Canada
It’s definitely faster. Buy I think the battery life took a hit (my battery is at 84% health tho, so it’s bad anyway)
[doublepost=1537935627][/doublepost]
No overheating. The phone is definitely faster, but the battery took a hit.

Thanks Dan! ;-)

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I also have a 6s on 10.3.3.
What's your feedback so far?
Is iOS 12 as fast as 10.3.3?
And what about battery life?
Thank you so much!
I'm the same as you by sounds of it :)

Battery life is my #1 concern with any OS upgrade. I upgraded my Air 2 to iOS 11 and remember the battery life just sucked. Jury is still out on the Air 2 battery life under 12. My rule of thumb is to never update the shipping major iOS build on the phone so I'll stick with 10 for the next 3-4 years. Doesn't stop me trying to see if it has improved though!

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Thought id post a quick update after a weeks use. Friendly FYI, the battery is at 100% on this device as it was a replacement device.

I use the device on and off from 7am throughout the day. Various apps, and at around 6pm i had 38% battery life (approx as im trying to recall my day, and looking at the graph apple now offers)

the OS, itself. i find WORKS great and is indeed a NICE improvement over iOS 11 on the SE, apps and boot time feel faster, the OS seems smoother and even texting no longer lags.

my only beef is the Bluetooth. It seems rather spotty, and the icon by the battery no longer appears. Its a tad frustrating. Hopefully thats something that apple fixes.

Again, this was a clean install via DFU mode, through iTunes. Hopefully this helps. Thanks for all your feedback.

Sacha Baptista

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
Hi guys,

I'll probably look like a caveman to you all, but I am still using iOS 8.1.3 on my 5s and it works perfectly. My motto is : never update (unless there clearly is a problem with the version you're using for which you NEED a fix)! I have found that updating brings more issues than fixes (slower speeds, less battery life and even loss of compatibility). For example, my iMac is still running osx 10.5 and everything works great!

I've been reading your messages and apparently most of you are at iOS 11 and wondering whether 12 is a good fit or not.

Well, my issue is a bit different. When I said my iOS 8.1.3 worked perfectly, it was true... until today. I've been kicked out of Facebook Messenger because I need to update the app in order to continue using it, which I can't do because the latest versions of the app are not supported in 8.1.3... So, basically, if I want to continue using messenger (which I would really like to as it is my main mean of conversation with family / friends / work), I'll have to upgrade from iOS 8 to 12. I hate that idea!

Now you all seem to be more expert than me... What will I encounter if I decide to take the leap? Will it be slower / faster? etc...

Thanks in advance for your help!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I don't think anyone around here has made that big of a jump : 8-12, but everyone seems to be in agreement that iOS 12 works fine (enough) on the 5S.
Will it be slower? Heck yeah. But the phone is still "fine" according to those who're on 12.

At some point your going to have to either buy a new iPhone or update the OS. You can't stay on iOS 8 forever. As you're well aware, more and more apps require the newer versions of iOS to function.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Hi guys,

I'll probably look like a caveman to you all, but I am still using iOS 8.1.3 on my 5s and it works perfectly. My motto is : never update (unless there clearly is a problem with the version you're using for which you NEED a fix)! I have found that updating brings more issues than fixes (slower speeds, less battery life and even loss of compatibility). For example, my iMac is still running osx 10.5 and everything works great!

I've been reading your messages and apparently most of you are at iOS 11 and wondering whether 12 is a good fit or not.

Well, my issue is a bit different. When I said my iOS 8.1.3 worked perfectly, it was true... until today. I've been kicked out of Facebook Messenger because I need to update the app in order to continue using it, which I can't do because the latest versions of the app are not supported in 8.1.3... So, basically, if I want to continue using messenger (which I would really like to as it is my main mean of conversation with family / friends / work), I'll have to upgrade from iOS 8 to 12. I hate that idea!

Now you all seem to be more expert than me... What will I encounter if I decide to take the leap? Will it be slower / faster? etc...

iOS 12 runs fine on my SE. I guess if you need that app, then upgrade.

But, given the chance to use iOS 8 again, I would do that.

iOS 8 seemed to be the last great iOS version imo, I wish I would have never upgraded my iPad Mini 2 from iOS 8. It went from solid experience to a painful one with iOS 9. 10 was a little better, 12 even better than 10, but nothing quite as stable as iOS 8 and iOS 6.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
So, basically, if I want to continue using messenger (which I would really like to as it is my main mean of conversation with family / friends / work), I'll have to upgrade from iOS 8 to 12. I hate that idea!
Families will always be relatives. You can make new friends. You can get a new job.

But upgrading iOS is a forever event. There's no going back.

Reactions: Juicy Box

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Hi guys,

I think you would be better off buying an older device that supports iOS 12 fine (a used 6s, or SE, for example), and keeping your 5s as a backup or selling it to recoup some of the difference. Performance will be worse and battery life will be absolutely horrible, compared to iOS 8.
I have the 6s on iOS 9, gets the same 8-9 hours as the iPhone 7 did on iOS 10. Now the 7 on iOS 12 gets 4-5, and the 5s from 8 to 12 is even a larger leap. I can't say for sure how much will you be getting, but I would expect it to be around half or maybe even less. I used a 5s on iOS 8 (now a family member uses it... Still on iOS 8), and battery life and performance were - and are - great.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
i've got a different issue on ios 12.1 with SE

sometimes when the phone completely charge. i cut off the charge and swipe right to the widget screen, and all of them are loading from scratch, like their processes are ended during charging period. and all my background apps are loading from start too. excluding stock apps. i don't see this on iphone 7,especially the widget reload issue.but happening too much on SE. is that a ram management or something else? anybody see this on their device?

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
My iPhone SE still feels like a current device with iOS 12 – no memory of long waits or repeated hiccoughs. Battery life easily lasts through nighttime.

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
i've got a different issue on ios 12.1 with SE

sometimes when the phone completely charge. i cut off the charge and swipe right to the widget screen, and all of them are loading from scratch, like their processes are ended during charging period. and all my background apps are loading from start too. excluding stock apps. i don't see this on iphone 7,especially the widget reload issue.but happening too much on SE. is that a ram management or something else? anybody see this on their device?

This isn’t phone related. I have this on my SE and on my iPad 2017. It’s not even connected to the charging process, i sometimes experienced this after some hours in standby.

I think this started already with the last versions of 11.

About topic:

On my SE 12 runs as good as the version did it was released with. I replaced my battery myself and now the phone gets two days with moderate usage and even some more days if just in standby.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
This isn’t phone related. I have this on my SE and on my iPad 2017. It’s not even connected to the charging process, i sometimes experienced this after some hours in standby.

I think this started already with the last versions of 11.

About topic:

On my SE 12 runs as good as the version did it was released with. I replaced my battery myself and now the phone gets two days with moderate usage and even some more days if just in standby.

so there is nothing to worry about..it's a ram management process..

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Faster than 11. Battery life somewhat less than the last version of 11.

Hopefully battery life will improve with the next point version of 12.

The SE is an incredible phone. The SE and the 6s+ are the two best mobile phones ever made. Pity they took away the headphone jack after that.

Reactions: Rhino1 and max2

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
It was on ios 10 on iphone 6, it automatically updated to ios 11 and was so slow I had to get rid of my iphone 6... I got a 6s since it's 2 gig of ram, and that 6s ran great on ios 11. I'm saying that ios 11 RUINED my iphone 6 as made it horrible, so I had to get a 6s which ran good in ios 11. I wouldn't update to 12 on a 6s or se until you are 100% sure it's not slower.

I now have a Xs and there is a BIG with ios 12.1.

The issue with scrolling in the text thread after hitting"info" and trying to scroll through the images of a LONG thread.

When the other member mentioned this always happened, this isn't true. This is a NEW ISSUE. In the past, on older IOS's since ios 11 at least, sometimes the pics wouldn't load right away and you'd have to scroll up or down to make them load. The new issue is, as soon as you scroll down a little, it shoots you straight to the bottom instantly! It's horrible.

I came from an Iphone 6s on ios 11, and there issue wasn't there. Now in a XS with 12.1 and the issue is there and shoots you to the bottom. I've tried an iphone 6 on 12.1, same thing. Restoring is NOT going to fix. ANd I think a cloned image may be better than an icloud backup. Personally I've restored from backup every since I had an iphone 3gs! That means everytime I get a new phone, I'm restoring from backup on my computer for the past 7 years and my phones always work good.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS. the beta firmware, that any of you can sign up for, HAS THIS SCROLLING ISSUE FIXED!! You can download it now and have this problem fixed, and it also fixes the delayed loading of pics all the way back since ios 11!!! You're welcome.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Greetings.

Before i update i always like to check between the previous and current IOS versions on their speed and performance. So far, on youtube there are a lot of videos comparing Beta ios 12 to 11 but not todays most recent release. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Got a "new" (replacement with 90 day warranty SE) cause the other one looked like a NES game cartridge had been put it in wrong and it artifacted. Kinda want this to last, and if 12 is going to slow it down, i don't want to be apart of it. Dont need a repeat of the iPhone 4s getting iOS 9.

Best regards,
Comda

Top slowest IPhones on their last iOS
1. iPhone 4S iOs 9 is disaster, 4s did not get features of iOs 9 only for security
2. iPhone 3GS iOS 6 is somewhat cripples the performance of 3gs cuz of ram issues
3.iPhone 4 well, it lacks dual core the ui starts to fail
4. iPhone 5S - iOS 12 on 5s is berry slightly better than 4s for launching apps but most heavy apps starts to crash cuz its nearing the death

As of now only iPhone 5 did not get that much slower on its last update vs iOS 6 in fact in some apps iOS 10 is faster than iOS 6 like a roller coaster sometimes iOs 10 is in the bottom sometimes iOs 6 on the top vice versa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.