Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianM_CAN

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
anyone with an iPhone 6, I recommend updating - so much smoother than iOS 11 - and even better than late iOS 10's where I think I started noticing things getting more sluggish.
I'm still upgrading to the iPhone XS I ordered through a carrier here in Canada, but iOS 12 really has breathed new life into my iPhone 6 that I was getting increasingly frustrated with, it's going to make the next week or two I have to wait much less painful :)

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I appreciate people not liking Apple, not liking their products or their prices. But you have to give them credit where it's due, they do a really good job of maintaining, patching and securing their products, it's one of the biggest reasons I've not even considered Android.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Won't these stats be diluted on Friday with the release of the XS and XS Max preorders and later with the XR?
Well in a way, since newer devices can’t use iOS 11. Similarly, a good portion of the 7.5% that are running iOS 10 or earlier are older devices that can’t be upgraded to 11/12.

But the stat is not actually tracking the upgrade rate, it just reports the installed base. So it’s as accurate now as it will be after Friday. Mixpanel's method of gathering the stats gives them slightly different results from Apple though, since Apple tracks OS version via visits the App Store.

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017
I can’t even blame those who hesitate to upgrade. iOS 11 was a disaster for many months. iOS 12 seems to be quite the opposite though. At least my X doesn’t feel like I’m using a 5-year old device lol

Exactly. From my anecdotal chats with friends, they were pretty disappointed with how iOS 11.0 ran. Ars Technica's data backs this conclusion up. iOS 11.0 was a bad upgrade for "day to day usage" on most iPhones.

kfi9UNt.png

If you went iOS 10.3.3 to iOS 11, you were in for a bad time. Notes took 33% longer to open. Safari took 25% longer to open. Mail took 28% longer to open.

Apple has no one but themselves to blame for a below-average iOS 12 uptake. iOS 11 was awarded Apple's "We are proud to stand behind this software" moniker. You--without question--immediately lost a lot of hard-won goodwill, Tim Cook.

It'll take ordinary consumers a significant amount of time to "regain trust", which will happen more by word of mouth than another 'iOS 12 is super fast!" YouTube video.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm waiting to hear from someone who installed this on an iPhone 5s as IOS 11 was a complete disaster for mine that I'm still aggravated and wish I could go back to IOS 10. :(
I have this update, 12.1, installed on two iPhone 5s and am very pleased with the update. I have never been burned by an iOS update although iOS 8 did brick peoples’ phones, I wasn’t affected. But to me an update is “damn the torpedoes full steam ahead”.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacBorn

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Had zero issue with iOS 11 on my SE. I read about reports of people experiencing lag and slowness, but I never had any of that. It has been performant every day since I got it. iOS 12 is now installed and working well.

The only bug that I experienced with iOS 11, and it still happens with iOS 12, is that sometimes I'm not able to swipe into the Camera from the Lock Screen. It just refuses to slide to the left. The only fix seems to be to restart the phone, which thankfully is very quick under iOS 12. Phone boots up in 10 seconds.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's too bad since iOS 12 brings a lot of benefits to older devices. Hopefully it will pick up. Might get a small bump when the new phones ship out this weekend too. Android Oreo came out over a year ago and is only at 14.6% total between 8.0 and 8.1, so it won't take long for Apple to pass that number up.

I think part of the problem with iOS 12 is that there aren't a lot of landmark new features that make people think "I have to get that right now!" I just checked and I don't think iOS 12 includes all those new emoji, so maybe that's why, lol. When people start getting weird icons is when they wonder what they're missing out on and update. Also I feel like once parents start talking to other parents about screen time that a whole lot of family devices are going to be upgraded!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Exactly. From my anecdotal chats with friends, they were pretty disappointed with how iOS 11.0 ran. Ars Technica's data backs this conclusion up. iOS 11.0 was a bad upgrade for "day to day usage" on most iPhones.

kfi9UNt.png

If you went iOS 10.3.3 to iOS 11, you were in for a bad time. Notes took 33% longer to open. Safari took 25% longer to open. Mail took 28% longer to open.

Apple has no one but themselves to blame. iOS 11 was awarded Apple's "We are proud to stand behind this software" moniker. You--without question--immediately a lot of hard-won goodwill, Tim Cook.

It'll take ordinary consumers a significant amount of time to "regain trust", which will happen more by word of mouth than another 'iOS 12 is super fast!" YouTube video.
In reality, imo, ios 11.4.1 was perfectly fine for an iPhone 5s!as I have two that I use for testing. However iOS 12 has an inexplicably fluid quality that feels great.

The adoption rates for iOS 12 will be parsed until the cows come home.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I jumped on the public beta GM solely for the performance improvements. My 6s is running like a champ coupled with a new battery!

Reactions: martyjmclean

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Android installs can barely hit 10% a year after launch.

Having a Galaxy S8 myself, I don't think the issue is people updating their phones, but more of us waiting for the manufacturer and the wireless provider to make the latest update available. Then you have all the different manufacturers and their line of devices.

In other words, it would be more fair to compare iOS12 adoption to Samsung TouchWiz 10 adoption rather than Android.

Not that anyone cares, but having switched to Android over a year ago, I may never go back. I do think Apple still has the better apps in general, but definitely not a better OS. I still update my wife's iPhone with iOS updates and shudder on how locked down and dumbed down it is.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
So far definitely the best .0 version update in a looonnnnnng time. Digging grouped notifications but notice that as new ones come in the new ones don't fall into the group. Not sure if this is a bug or Apple singling out the most recent? I'd still rather it say grouped and just move up the entire group of notifications for the app that last received a notification (like Android).

But pretty stoked so far. If ios 13 can clean up that springboard, some other UI things and some more customization (never gonna happen but would be nice) would make it easier to forget about Android.

Oh and Siri. Pooor Siri. :(

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Fantastic update on my 6+.

It's very early, but I feel hopeful that iOS 12 will be what Snow Leopard was to macOS. The one that didn't add many new features, but dang it's quick, efficient, and stable.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009

kfi9UNt.png

Apple has no one but themselves to blame for a below-average iOS 12 uptake. iOS 11 was awarded Apple's "We are proud to stand behind this software" moniker. You--without question--immediately lost a lot of hard-won goodwill, Tim Cook.

Thx. These are pretty meaningful stats (over adoption rates that reflect the platform’s sheepiness index...)
Staying on jailbroken iOS11 with accelerated animations seems a win over imminent adoption (with the added benefit of avoiding stupimotions/screentime fluff)

Last edited:
Reactions: ikjadoon

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
Hilariously, every year I hold off (iOS 10 was on my 7 Plus the whole way through until I was forced into iOS 11 a month ago because of an Applecare phone swap) because I hear about phones bricking / major bugs.

The one year I installed it within the hour of release, and it’s been near perfect (only a couple of minor things to be fixed- nothing that cripples the device, and so much more that made my phone remarkably faster).

I think people don’t trust the updates as much because they either heard of, or were personally burned by a major glitch after updating- ironically, the year they knock the update out of the park.

There isn’t a x.0.1 update 48 hours later. I feel like that might be a first. Well done Apple. Now go tell your friends lol

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
Updated on Monday as fast as humanly possible. Very happy with iOS 12 on my X.

The stat is not surprising as "stability" doesn't sound too sexy. Btw it seems to me that iOS 11 was not that bad after all, as the stat would have been much more favorable to iOS 12 if people were really complaining about it.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
iPad air 2, iPad pro, iPhone SE, and iPhone 8 all upgraded no fuss no muss. Battery seems to be okay, haven't pushed any of them enough to comment further.

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
Too much business travel to tend to, I'll need to hold off for a couple of weeks before upgrading.
Just can't take a risk - regardless of the glowing reviews, enticing commentary, and utter prodding by you crazy people... oh the torture... must restrain myself....

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I've spoken to two types of people and I'm a third. I update immediately every year. Friends with older phones were reluctant because of either iOS 11 being buggy or because they think it's going to slow their phone down because of that whole fiasco.

iOS 12 is great, so I've been telling them to upgrade. It'll put some life into old phones and even my X is noticeably snappier on certain tasks. Also, fewer bugs than even 11.x that was the most up-to-date after all the attempted fixes. Hopefully people will realize that it's better and that Apple didn't mess it up again.

Reactions: ikjadoon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.