iOS 12 Said to Feature Animoji in FaceTime, Deeper Siri Integration, and Do Not Disturb Improvements

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's alleged plans to double down on the quality of its iPhone, iPad, and Mac software platforms, rather than rush to introduce new features, have been revealed in more detail by Mark Gurman at Bloomberg News.

[​IMG]

The report claims that Apple's software engineers will have more discretion to delay features that aren't as polished, with the company essentially shifting to more of a two-year roadmap for iOS and macOS, rather than trying to release major feature-packed upgrades every single year without question.
    The report describes Apple's new strategy as a "major cultural shift," and an admission that its recent software updates have suffered from an uncharacteristic number of bugs, ranging from a critical root superuser vulnerability on Mac to iMessages appearing in the wrong order across Apple devices.

Apple's commitment to a fast-paced iOS release schedule already led some features to be delayed regardless, including Apple Pay Cash and Messages on iCloud, so the new strategy would likely involve not announcing or testing those features in beta until they are much closer to being ready for public release.

Despite the increased focus on under-the-hood refinements, iOS 12 is still expected to include some significant new features, including Animoji in FaceTime, which will enable people to place virtual faces over themselves during video calls.

Additionally, in iOS 12, Apple is planning deeper Siri integration in the iPhone's search view, Do Not Disturb improvements that will give users more options to automatically reject phone calls or silence notifications, a redesigned version of its Stocks app, and a multiplayer mode for augmented reality games.

As previously reported, Apple is also expected to make it possible for developers to release apps that work across iPhone, iPad, and Mac, starting with iOS 12 and macOS 10.14, which should be introduced at WWDC 2018 in June.

Last month, Gurman reported that developers will be able to design a single third-party app that works with both a touchscreen, and a mouse or trackpad, depending on whether it's running on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Apple would presumably also streamline its own apps on the desktop and mobile.

The report didn't reveal exactly how the process will work, but Apple could be planning to release a new SDK with new APIs that enable true cross-platform functionality. Right now, Apple's UIKit and AppKit frameworks provide the required infrastructure for iOS and macOS app user interfaces respectively.

Today's report reiterates other features that are delayed, including redesigned home screens on iPhone, iPad, and CarPlay, tabbed apps on iPad, and the ability to view two screens from the same app side by side on iPad.

Article Link: iOS 12 Said to Feature Animoji in FaceTime, Deeper Siri Integration, and Do Not Disturb Improvements

2. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

So, they will focus on more Emojis and will highlight the weakest feature of the current ecosystem -- Siri.

Sounds like a winner...

3. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

4. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

Sure would be nice if do not disturb could handle multiple entries. I’d like to have a different dnd setting for weekends. Not sure why that has been overlooked for so long.

5. brian3uk macrumors 6502

Ok so iOS 11 was a mess and they are going to polish it with 12 that's good, but iOS also feels stagnant. How are they going to fix that if they can't reliably update their OS?

6. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

The iPad needs multi-user support. Even if they limited it to iPads with 4GB of memory, that would be fine.

7. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

You’re kidding right? iOS Yawn. These $1k+ phones and tablets and we can’t even get exciting updates once a year.

8. Sharkoneau macrumors 6502a

Sharkoneau

Obligatory “for me” opinion disclaimer: this seems like the lamest major update in memory. There are bugs to be ironed out, and I hope performance improves, but this is 11.4.

9. cuwickliffe macrumors member

cuwickliffe

(Emphasis, mine)

This is honestly a smarter move by Apple. While we get excited by annual updates (and some get annoyed by the ramifications of this), it isn't a terrible move to bring back responsible practices in this era where Chrome is at version 64 and other companies release new versions constantly just to provide the appearance of rapid development. Rapid development, when not done responsibly, causes chaos, produces security issues, and erodes user confidence.

Focus on stability, security, and then feature enhancements.

macOS does for me right now what it needs to. iOS does for me right now what it needs to. I don't have this insatiable need to always see a new major version every year based upon some arbitrary calendar schedule.

10. profets macrumors 601

I'm very curious what this rumoured home screen redesign was all about (that's getting pushed back to 2019).

11. Avieshek, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

How about, turning off Mirror-selfies in iOS 12?

From a company, dedicated more towards emojis - animojis and rainbow watchbands; Let’s hope, atleast not to miss Dark-mode & AOD this year.

12. pete2106 macrumors 6502

pete2106

"I'm sorry, I don't understand what that means"

13. urkel macrumors 68030

Does Animoji require the iPhone X camera system?

With the X then I'm able to cover all the sensors except the camera and Animoji face recognition was still spot on. So does that mean Anomoji can exist on ANY current iOS device?

14. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Surely Apple has enough money, talent and resources to dedicate a team to quality control while also working on new features.... Maybe they can borrow from the huge department they apparently have designing emojis.

15. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Who wants Emoji's on FaceTime?? We want multi conference calls!!!

16. YaBe macrumors 6502

YaBe

They should go to a 2 year schedule, keep improving each month with small update and a new major version every 2 years.

There's no need for a new .x release each year for the sake of it, slower major update, faster bug fixes.

17. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

"Here's what I found on the web"

18. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Just need revamped notifications. You can put the rest of the team working on performance and bugs

19. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

20. rocknrolldoggy macrumors member

rocknrolldoggy

Glad that Apple has nailed notifications. No need to immediately update. ;)

21. Dr.SL macrumors member

Dr.SL

Emoji, Animoji... c'mon Apple use the manpower for something more useful ...

22. pete2106 macrumors 6502

pete2106

I'm hoping we'll start to see a bigger focus on customisation, probably not in iOS12 but at least in iOS13. Now that the phones are just rectangle screens with nothing around them, there's not really a lot more that they can do to differentiate new iPhones from the old ones.

23. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Hoping to get rid of the square icon grid and do widgets like on android

24. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

so, animoji integration == quality, not features?

Also, what, animoji was not in FaceTime already? I mean aren't all competitive video chat platforms have mask overlays already?

25. klunernet macrumors member

klunernet

Technically, that is not a fix in iOS, but in the cloud backend that has to parse the commands.