iOS 12 to Allow iPhones to Unlock Doors Via NFC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is expected to expand the NFC capabilities of its iPhones beyond mobile payments, allowing users to securely unlock doors equipped with the technology, according to The Information. The company is said to be planning to announce the new functionality "next month," suggesting it will come at WWDC as part of the iOS 12 unveiling.

[​IMG]
    The Information reported nearly four years ago that Apple was looking to expand NFC capabilities to building security and transit ticketing, working with its campus security vendor HID Global on the technology.

Today's report notes that while Bluetooth is already used to manage some smart locks using iPhones, NFC offers a more secure method for connections and authentication, an important consideration for companies and government agencies in particular.

Article Link: iOS 12 to Allow iPhones to Unlock Doors Via NFC

2. Villarrealadrian macrumors member

3. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

This needs to be on the Apple Watch and not so much on a drop potential, glass shatter device as the iPhone.

4. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

It's always good for Apple to guinea test new tech like this on its own employees first. Although internal Apple tests is not an adequate sample, since most of them are already privileged tech nerds, they in no way represent the average "Apple consumer", and how they react and use new technologies will not be the same as how the average Apple consumer reacts. Maybe limited testing (regional?) might be next?

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Is there any reason Apple took so long to provide a complete NFC API? Were they worried people would do Bad Things(TM) with it?

It just seems odd because other smartphone vendors have had an open API for NFC since they started having NFC, and Apple took four years to even start doing the same thing.

6. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Makes sense since NYC is currently working on a digital metro card implementation

7. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Don't forget how long Apple took to even add NFC to their phones, when their competitors had it years earlier.

8. RedGala macrumors regular

RedGala

The first time I saw an NFC reader react to my phone on Apple Pay 2 summers ago, I knew that Apple was holding back an amazing feature. This has to happen.

9. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

As in like a beta...for developers? And then perhaps after that...a multi-month beta for the public before maybe a public launch say...in the fall? I like it.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

probably only for the next year model.

---------

My building has rfid so IDK if they will support everything? doubtful.

11. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Yes, something like that. It needs to be a lengthy beta with thousands of testers. THAT is the only way they will be able to catch dozens upon dozens of potential security glitches and flaws.

This is software feature will may unlock your house. Or unlock your $75,000 luxury car. These features need to be tested extensively! And potential bugs and glitches and flaws need to be hunted down and revealed and addressed as much as possible….. before a release version ever sees the light of day.

12. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Doesn't seem at all odd, because Apple is extra-cautious. They certainly would rather avoid headlines about people doing Bad Things™ with it. "iPhone Let Rapist into Hotel Room" is not a headline they'd want, and with "Apple" and "iPhone" far bigger clickbait terms than "Android," the potential consequences of an incident are much larger. If it takes them a while longer to be satisfied that they "got it right" before releasing to the public... that's SOP for Apple.

13. Paul_W, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018

Paul_W macrumors member

Money on this only being available on 2017 iPhones and newer?

14. architect1337 macrumors member

Agree. The maths will be sound but it’s the implementation that will need to be looked at.

15. tooloud10 macrumors 6502

It'll probably come to the AW at some point, but not everyone has one. If it made any sense to limit functionality on the iPhone because it could be dropped, you could pretty much apply that to everything.

The day that Apple withholds a feature I want because they're afraid I'll drop the phone, I think I'll just move on.

16. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Honestly, no digital solution for our door lock.

17. wolfshades macrumors 6502

wolfshades

Why not both?

18. Danoc, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  19. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

Hopefully it works on the watch too. I'd like that very much!

20. unsynaps macrumors newbie

Uh... you have a work ID don't you?

Where I am our ID is our keycard. Heck we use the same swipes as the one in the particle picture.

21. Der Keyser macrumors regular

Der Keyser

Easy now... I’m 100% sure it will not be a full NFC API - that would make people able to create things apple does not want on their phones (other payment systems fx.). So it will likely only be some NFC features, and they will probably require Apple authentication on the other end as well (fx. Door systems upgraded with licensed Apple Software to authenticate and allow the API call to complete on the phone).

22. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Agreed, eventually. First they need to figure out why sometimes the AW doesn't ask for my unlock code when I put it on. Bad guy getting into my data is one thing. Bad guy getting into my house is another.

23. ayrat macrumors newbie

ayrat

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you can also melt the plastic off w acetone or something and put the antenna on the phone case.