iOS 12 wishlist

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by BiGG DIESEL, Feb 16, 2018.

1. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

Why can't 3D Touch on Desktop app be used to

Clear app badges
    Perform actions based on app
    NOT have to shake to uninstall
    Uninstall app from it's Setting listing AND
    Uninstall from App Store

Don't wake the screen for a notification
    Notification would be cleared from all devices with same Apple ID

Revamp entire desktop grid, icons, size, position, etc.

Remove need to swipe up to unlock.

2. 827538 macrumors 65816

Agreed on the Bluetooth/WiFi things, Apple don't treat us like idiots.

- An option in settings to have Portrait Lock not apply when viewing videos
    - Siri being able to control Spotify (sorry Apple Music but you just aren't as good)

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

How hard can it be to create and edit smart playlists? That needs to make it's way into the music app.

4. utilitas macrumors regular

utilitas

1) optimized for battery life

2) faster animations and transitions (like on the Pixel 2)

3) doesn't slow down older devices

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

That’s a paradox, if you improve performance battery life will decrease. There are technical limitations.

6. utilitas macrumors regular

utilitas

By that, I don't mean the overall performance but rather the animations. The animations were in fact faster on older iOS versions. For example when you open an app in iOS 11, there will be a short animation where the app icon is getting bigger until it is completely opened. This looks smoother for the transition but I prefer a faster transition. You click on the app icon and then you see the full app window instantly. This has nothing to do with the overall phone performance, it is about the software and how for example the opening process of an app is designed. I liked it better on older iOS versions where it felt a bit faster.

Also the new iPhones are so powerful that this is definitely possible even if it has to do with the phones performance. With the A11 chip we are getting close to laptop benchmarks with these phones. This is overkill for a lot of people that are using the phones. And battery life could also be improved while improving performance. Best example for that would be the step Intel took from skylake to kaby lake. kaby lake has better performance and battery consumption compared to skylake.

But I was really more talking about the animations and interaction design in the OS. Sorry if this was confusing.

7. AppleFan91, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018

AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

In no particular order:

• Different sounds for camera snap and screenshot. I screenshot a lot, people think I’m creeping.

• Download iOS updates and large app updates over Cellular. Most carriers offer some sort of Unlimited plan. Let us use them.

• Improve Siri. After seeing what Google rolled out with Google Assistant, there’s simply no excuse being this far behind. Don’t give me the “privacy” speech. I’m all for it, but Siri isn’t 1/10 as good as GA because Apple respects my privacy.

• Improved Volume UI

• Always-On Display for iPhone X

• Fast Charging indication (other than sound) and time remaining until full charge.

• Increase iCloud storage free tier. 5GB on a 256GB iPhone or 512GB iPad is just sad. Match the storage with the device or something. If you pay $1,000 for a phone, surely Apple can afford to bump the free tier to 64GB to cover said phone.

8. Askinas, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018

Askinas macrumors member

I just want to see the new UI and when you need to change the sound, there is no such big logo coming up and filling most of the screen. Do like YouTube, etc. Or take a look at Android P. Damn that OS is nice :D

9. keatth macrumors 6502

I want a Reply option in iMessage like what’s app has, for group text

10. Comed1an macrumors newbie

Comed1an

My top wish is to do something to this notifactions mess.
    There should be some kind of grouping option per app or something.
    And option to choose do you want certain notifications grouped or not.

11. Askinas macrumors member

Tru that mate.

12. Vanilla35, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018

Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I honestly just want 2 things:

1) Stability/Speed/Smoothness
    2) Cohesion across platforms with actions performed.

I want Force touch/3D touch to be consistent throughout the entire OS with what it can perform. If that means replacing most long press actions with 3D touch so be it.

I want there to be clear actions as to what can be performed. No more swipe left, swipe right, sometimes you have to swipe halfway, sometimes you have to swipe fully. Make it a full swipe (hard to trigger accidentally), but then make that a heavy action, like permanent deletion. Or if you go the other way, choosing to make the gesture a light/half-swipe (which could more easily be done accidentally), then add in a "are you sure you want to delete" action, so that it can be prevented.

I don't like how iOS is completely littered with inconsistencies between gestures, and actions throughout the OS, and it could be fixed rather easily. It looks, feels, and acts like it is iOS 7 with features built on every year, without any consideration for how things already work; simply a new gesture or action squeezed into the existing interface.

They probably should have redone the rest of the OS this year when releasing the X, but instead it appears they did the bare minimum again, which was to redesign only what the home button touched. i.e. home gesture, and multitasking.

My close 3rd wish would be actual AI enhancements/integration and better communicating between devices in general, similar to what google has been shown to be doing (and I'm sure is coming with iOS eventually, since they have a good foundation for it already), but it's very 2016 to have some of these things, and we're living in an exponentially progressive world in tech, so it gets a little bit more annoying every year when I see a lack of what I would consider progress from Apple.

13. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

My one and only wish: Desktop mode. Where you can get a dock and use your iphone/ipad as a computer, much like samsung has done with Dex, and Huawei with EMUI Desktop.

14. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

I’d like to be able to swipe to delete a contact. You can do it in messages and mailroom delete them (though not consistently between the 2) so would be logical for contacts too.

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Contacts are likely generally seen as more important and less temporary information as messages or emails are, so that might be why they are a bit more "protected".

16. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

3 weeks until we have a peak at what Apple has in store for iOS

hopefully... it's something :D

I have been significantly more impressed with the A-chips and hardware, than software the past couple years. Feels like software is lagging behind

17. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

I feel the exact same way. iOS 11 has made the past 9 months on the new iPad Pro rather lackluster bewtween inconsistent performance and application instability notably in stock apps like Music, Podcasts, and News. I wish I’d stayed on iOS 10 as it was pure joy to use.

18. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

True,so they could have an “are you sure?” message like when you try to delete a message thread now.

19. Direk macrumors newbie

Direk

Sir, Apple is almost getting it right at the moment with 11.4 (beta4) for me.

Still, i using this oldie Iphone 6 Plus and with the latest IOS beta mentioned, someone already say this, it’s like having my oldie unit runs like it was from the beginning i’ve used it.

- battery is more than 11hrs normal usage time ( plus no runaway draining during night standby from the last charge)
    - current frequency is max-out up to 1400Mhz (using CPU DasherX).
    - no crashing of any apps
    - maximum speed frequency maintains beyond 20% of battery life
    - best of all, all features on-board on this iOS version and i’m still using my old battery.

Only thing, I turned off, Share iphone Analytics.

20. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

• Better text selection, navigation, and search of text / webpages.
    • Interruptible animations / transitions. Microdelays slow everything down.
    • No more censoring apps like Gab in the App Store.
    • Picture-in-picture video on iPhones.
    • Better gesture for undo/redo. Shaking my device in cumbersome and looks dumb.
    • Open up iTunes Store content and let 3rd party apps play it.

21. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

What new features are you hoping Apple will introduce in iOS 12? We'll be doing a wishlist series starting next week with your most desired features, so I'd love to hear what you want to see.

22. Breezygirl macrumors 6502a

Breezygirl

Dark mode and more customization. The ability to set a background photo in messages and change SMS bubble colors. Would also love to be able to theme our phones with colors of our phone cases similar as you can now with with the Apple Watch with the Apple bands.

23. chabig macrumors 603

I want a FaceID camera on the backside of the phone that can auto recognize food and using phased array antennae direct microwave radiation directly at the food to cook it.

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The one feature I wanted in iOS 11 when they announced it 11 months ago... iCloud Messages. It's in the recent betas, hopefully they don't yank it again like they have previously.

Music App
    - Ability to turn viewing of cloud purchases on or off. It's a nice feature, but not nice to have forced on you. I only want to see local music on my device. I don't like having to use the "Downloaded" tab to do that, as its not persistent. Close the app or restart your device, you have to do it again.

-Better syncing of playcounts. One reason why I only use local music is because I rely on playcounts/last played date quite a bit. If you have automatic downloads turned on, and buy a song on your iPhone and listen to it, your computer may have already downloaded the song automatically. When you sync your phone, the playcount data is not reflected in your iTunes library. The same goes for redownloading a purchased song on your device that is already in your iTunes library. As far as I know, the only way to get playcounts to sync is to download to only one device, then sync and either put the song from iTunes on the phone, or use the "Transfer purchases" option when syncing if the song was downloaded to the device first. For this reason, I don't use cloud music or automatic downloads.

-Better cloud services for music. iTunes Match wreaked havoc on my library when it first came out in 2011. If you don't care about metadata, playcounts, smart playlists, etc, then I suppose its fine. If you have a music library you've meticulously built only to see iTunes Match wipe playcounts, playlists, alter your metadata, etc.... it stunk. Since then, I've been afraid to touch iCloud Music Library or iTunes Match again. I've heard they still aren't compatible with smart playlists that reference other playlists. These functions are what made iTunes so great.

-Playlists that I don't choose to sync are on my device anyways. I utilize smart playlists to separate certain types of media for convenience. For instance, if I have a playlist called "Audiobooks" that contains all of my audiobooks, and I choose to sync all of my audiobooks to my iPhone, that playlist will sync over even though nowhere in my iPhone sync settings is that playlist selected. So I have an entry on my iPhone for this playlist, and even worse, since Audiobooks are now in the iBooks app, the playlist appears empty on my iPhone.

-Editing playlists on the go sometimes results in two playlists in iTunes. If I have a playlist in iTunes and my iPhone called "Classic Rock", and edit that playlist on the go, sometimes, when I sync back with iTunes, I'll end up with "Classic Rock" and "Classic Rock 1". So then I have to clean up that mess.

-Syncing still sucks in general. Every time I connect my iPhone to my Mac, I get the "iTunes has found purchased items..." message. I always choose to sync them over, but it never tells me what these items are, and I get the message every time.

Random

-The Settings app needs trimmed down and streamlined.
    -In the app closer screen (to force-close apps), there needs to be a "Close All" button. There's plenty of room.
    -Would like an ability to delete messages on my Apple Watch from my phone.
    -The Notes app is great, but the workflow for scanning documents leaves a lot to be desired.

25. Feyl macrumors regular

Feyl

I want them to focus on UI and UX. No new features but to focus heavily on how we use our devices. I use my iPhone but I don’t love the experience since iOS 7.