Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
probably they will release only the gm’s ipsw, not ota

That’s possible, but again that seems really unlikely. As of right now they are essentially saying that they are done with 13.0 and that it is ready for release as no more beta’s will be released with 13.1 out there. Beta 8 is ok, but its not ready to be released to the public.

If Apple releases a public beta 13.1 today they are essentially saying that they are clueless and don’t know what they are doing in regards to this software. If they don’t then who knows what they are thinking.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
And they released they public beta 13.1. If 13.1 isn’t the launch day release Apple is going to have a lot of unhappy customers who are going to lose all of their data because they won’t be able to use a backup.

Reactions: btrach144

poool88

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2014
Italy
That’s possible, but again that seems really unlikely. As of right now they are essentially saying that they are done with 13.0 and that it is ready for release as no more beta’s will be released with 13.1 out there. Beta 8 is ok, but its not ready to be released to the public.

If Apple releases a public beta 13.1 today they are essentially saying that they are clueless and don’t know what they are doing in regards to this software. If they don’t then who knows what they are thinking.
we don’t know how much work apple will put in 13.0 development until the release..the fact that will be not tested doesn’ mean that is finished.
[doublepost=1567016309][/doublepost]
And they released they public beta 13.1. If 13.1 isn’t the launch day release Apple is going to have a lot of unhappy customers who are going to lose all of their data because they won’t be able to use a backup.
forgive me, but all those “unhappy customers” are people that doesn’t know the difference between a beta (unfinished, unsupported, unreliable, not ready to production) and an official release

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
we don’t know how much work apple will put in 13.0 development until the release..the fact that will be not tested doesn’ mean that is finished.
[doublepost=1567016309][/doublepost]
forgive me, but all those “unhappy customers” are people that doesn’t know the difference between a beta (unfinished, unsupported, unreliable, not ready to production) and an official release
I think Apple knows public beta testers could be anyone. For that reason, it would be rather crummy of them to leave PB testers high and dry if 13.1 isn’t public on iPhone release day.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think Apple knows public beta testers could be anyone. For that reason, it would be rather crummy of them to leave PB testers high and dry if 13.1 isn’t public on iPhone release day.

Apple's answer: Restore to iOS 12.

Xyzlor

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019

This is an inaccurate statement. It was also described earlier in the post... You setup your new phone as a new phone, install the beta profile, upgrade, then erase and restore from backup. Many of us have been doing this for years. It's not hard.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
This is an inaccurate statement. It was also described earlier in the post... You setup your new phone as a new phone, install the beta profile, upgrade, then erase and restore from backup. Many of us have been doing this for years. It's not hard.
If there isn't a version of 13.1 on launch day, what's your plan then?

Reactions: briankeith513

poool88

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2014
Italy
anyone who take the risk to install a pre release software
[doublepost=1567022285][/doublepost]
“Be sure to back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch and your Mac using Time Machine before installing beta software.”

directly from apple beta software program web page

Xyzlor

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019

you install the beta profile on the new device — then erase it and restore from backup. Whatever version your current device is on, at least for me, has always been available. I’ve not seen the beta profile be ripped away.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
you install the beta profile on the new device — then erase it and restore from backup. Whatever version your current device is on, at least for me, has always been available. I’ve not seen the beta profile be ripped away.
Last year there wasn't a version of the current beta OS until 2 days after the XS released, there's more to beta's than just the profile, there actually has to be a version of the OS for the new phones too, which on day 1 usually isn't the case, if there is no version of 13.1 for the iPhone 11 then you won't be able to update it on day one.

Xyzlor

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019
Last year there wasn't a version of the current beta OS until 2 days after the XS released, there's more to beta's than just the profile, there actually has to be a version of the OS for the new phones too, which on day 1 usually isn't the case, if there is no version of 13.1 for the iPhone 11 then you won't be able to update it on day one.

that case I can see (haven’t run into myself) but I’d also take/understand that to be part of the beta downsides and associated risk.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

I’m sorry but that’s Incorrect. And you haven’t been doing this for years because it’s never been done before. You’ll have to install the beta 13.1 no matter how buggy it is and continue to use that until Apple makes it final in order to restore from backup. You aren’t going to be able to load the dev 13.1 and then erase and restore from backup for anything other than 13.1 because you can’t restore a previous os from backup. So if 13.0 is the release software you will have to use the dev until Apple releases it which could be weeks down the road.

What you’ve been doing for years is updating to the current OS and then restoring and loading your backup. Unfortunately this time the most current OS is going to be a Beta if you upgrade to 13.1 because 13.1 is not going to be the release date software so you are stuck in the beta program whether you want to be or not for several more weeks.

Xyzlor

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019
We're saying the same thing essentially - My response is based upon the idea that if the release version didn't match the current beta, I would install the current beta and stay there. If the current beta isn't available ... then yes, that's a setup as new. Either way - to me this is a 'risk' of running beta code.

m.wttfld

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2019
Germany
That makes absolutely no sense. Why not just keep it at iOS 13 Beta 9? It won't be available on launch day. This entire process is just a further example that Apple is clueless on what its doing a lot of the time. I guarantee you they thought that as dev account holders that we'd be thrilled with the 13.1 release. On the contrary, they are too stupid to realize that its going to make it impossible to use a backup now on any 13.0 phone.

The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing half the time with this company.
Just wait and see
New iPhones are already in production right now..

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Unless we hear from Apple that beta users on 13.1 will be able to restore from backup to the new phones on day one, whether that be the 13.1 backup is compatible with 13.0 or 13.1 beta available, then I'll stick to beta 8.

What a faff.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
We're saying the same thing essentially - My response is based upon the idea that if the release version didn't match the current beta, I would install the current beta and stay there. If the current beta isn't available ... then yes, that's a setup as new. Either way - to me this is a 'risk' of running beta code.

Im sorry but It’s never in the past been a risk of running a beta, so I’d disagree with you. In the past you’d move to the gold master and be good to go. Now, if 13.1 isn’t the release day software, then you are essentially locked into the dev program whether you like it or not if you want to restore from backup. And 13.1 could still be a buggy mess then, but too bad if you want to use a backup on your brand new iPhone.

There is no way of spinning this. Apple screwed this up and doesn’t know what the hell they are doing.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
As @johnyslats mentionned, I strongly believe it will be available for the new iPhone. The reason is that there is now a Public Beta and AppleSeed, which means that non-developer people install the betas. The iOS 13.1 β didn't come with a warning about the new iPhones not supporting the backups. It would be a bad experience for users. It will likely be released on release day like last year (https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/03/apple-releases-ios-11-2-beta-2-iphone-x/).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
an interesting twist is that when I downgraded from 13.1 to 13 beta 8 I did not have to restore from backup. It just downgraded the phone and nothing else was needed. Basically it seems like Apple realized this would confuse people and 13 beta 8 and 13.1 somehow work together. Hope that makes sense.

downloaded the ipsw, restored through iTunes, and when my phone was done loading everything on my phone was right where I left it on 13.1, but I was back on 13.0

Reactions: Pipper99

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
Gotta love the apple apologist here defending an obvious screwup of a software launch

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Gotta love the apple apologist here defending an obvious screwup of a software launch

No question. I’m a huge Apple fan but trying to spin this as anything other than a screw up is ridiculous.

The other thing that bugs me is that 13.1 is BS. It’s just a delay for Apple to try and fix things that they should have had ready for 13.0.

poool88

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2014
Italy
Im sorry but It’s never in the past been a risk of running a beta, so I’d disagree with you. In the past you’d move to the gold master and be good to go. Now, if 13.1 isn’t the release day software, then you are essentially locked into the dev program whether you like it or not if you want to restore from backup. And 13.1 could still be a buggy mess then, but too bad if you want to use a backup on your brand new iPhone.

There is no way of spinning this. Apple screwed this up and doesn’t know what the hell they are doing.
it is always a risk running beta software because, by definition, is unfinished software.

apple didn’t screw up nothing, maybe this was their plan from the beginning, maybe there was a change of plan, we will not know, but the beta release cycle is up to them, if you can’t sustain the risk of running be5a software well, next year wait the final release.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Fyi regarding beta 8 being Gm: Apple has released a beta as a GM before. I remember times where I ran e.g. beta 9 of a release and the GM did not show up for me because it was the same build as b9. So it can very well be that b8 is this years GM.

What‘s new is the fact that they pushed out the .1 beta before the keynote / GM is available. That‘s a first.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
The other thing that bugs me is that 13.1 is BS. It’s just a delay for Apple to try and fix things that they should have had ready for 13.0.
That's simply the issue you have with fixed release dates where the next major version absolutely has to be ready. If certain features aren't ready for prime time, they're taken out and they'll get released as part of a future update. In the past the new operating system as a whole would be delayed until everything was ready. Sometimes by many months or even over a year. I kinda prefer what they're doing now over the old way of doing things.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
it is always a risk running beta software because, by definition, is unfinished software.

apple didn’t screw up nothing, maybe this was their plan from the beginning, maybe there was a change of plan, we will not know, but the beta release cycle is up to them, if you can’t sustain the risk of running be5a software well, next year wait the final release.

You are without question wrong. As I said before, its absolutely not a risk of running beta software so stop trying to paint that picture. We signed up to run the beta software of 13.0. If the release software is 13.0 then Apple has without a doubt screwed up here because you are going to have a plethora of people who won't be able to use their backups on their new phone if they've upgraded to iOS 13.1. They are going to have to use 13.1 (which is a buggy mess) until Apple makes it final and then they will be able to restore and use a backup. You can do it on a computer before hand but most people will have no clue how to do that using iTunes and XCode. Stop trying to explain their actions here because they do not make sense and they have without a doubt messed up here.
[doublepost=1567086719][/doublepost]
That's simply the issue you have with fixed release dates where the next major version absolutely has to be ready. If certain features aren't ready for prime time, they're taken out and they'll get released as part of a future update. In the past the new operating system as a whole would be delayed until everything was ready. Sometimes by many months or even over a year. I kinda prefer what they're doing now over the old way of doing things.

I understand that, but you don't start on the next version until the first version is complete, which is the entire point. Beta 8 should not be classified as a GM. It still needs a lot of work and its baffling to me that Apple has decided that that is the final software.

Reactions: icloudUser

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019
You are without question wrong. As I said before, its absolutely not a risk of running beta software so stop trying to paint that picture. We signed up to run the beta software of 13.0. If the release software is 13.0 then Apple has without a doubt screwed up here because you are going to have a plethora of people who won't be able to use their backups on their new phone if they've upgraded to iOS 13.1. They are going to have to use 13.1 (which is a buggy mess) until Apple makes it final and then they will be able to restore and use a backup. You can do it on a computer before hand but most people will have no clue how to do that using iTunes and XCode. Stop trying to explain their actions here because they do not make sense and they have without a doubt messed up here

It looks like they have indeed. At least from what we know today it looks messed up.

The last PB of iOS 13 has a broken mail app among other problems so its hard to imagine it can be a GM build.

I wouldnt be surprised if the newer phones come with 12.4.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.