Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I wonder if Apple is going to fix this one, or people should just upgrade. I texted my mom that Apple will either fix this bug or she may need to upgrade her iPad Mini 1. No big deal. The iPad Mini 1 is very old and its due for an upgrade. Cant expect old devices to work forever. If Apple decides not to fix this bug then so be it.
[automerge]1585930419[/automerge]
I just tested Facetime on iOS 7.1.2 (iPhone 4) with 13.4 for fun. Guess what... it also doesn't work. It does however work with 13.3.1. So they broke that as well. Obviously a related issue.

As someone mentioned above, it does work if you're on the same local network (where I'm assuming the devices talk directly to each other.) So, it's not an actual communication issue with the devices, but has to do with sending the data over the internet. It's likely an easy fix and I'm sure they will do it shortly.

You cant expect old devices to work forever. My first exposure to FaceTime was back in 2012 on a iPhone 4S and it worked well over 3G for that small screen but I remember it only worked over WIFI and not cellular at first.

kopesetic

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
DC Metro Area
Is there a thread on the apple support pages for this "issue".
I have an iPad2 and the one thing that it was still good for was facetime.
It seems like the hardware is still capable, but it is slowing being crippled by software restrictions.
It seems wasteful.
BTW, I tried Zoom on the iPad 2 and it works fine.

ceriess

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Easy to talk but not so easy in reality with shelter-in-place, economy having imploded, stores closed, parents/grandparents hospitalized so they can't leave and you definitely can't visit and the burden of them learning a new device with foreign finger gymnastics gestures when already under duress. Plus Facetime was working fine prior to the update so wasteful to upgrade the device when all they use it for is to Facetime their children/grandchildren.

The ethical thing for Apple to do is to unbreak it otherwise they face fines, lawsuits and negative PR for interrupting a service and for preying on seniors during a crisis. Confident Apple will end up unbreaking it.

You need to try harder. And by harder, I mean you should have done it 2 years ago. Shame on you for neglecting your mother like this. SHAME ON YOU.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
You need to try harder. And by harder, I mean you should have done it 2 years ago. Shame on you for neglecting your mother like this. SHAME ON YOU.

Victim shaming. How cute. My mom says Apple can unbreak what they broke and no commission for you. :p

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
So now that Apple has fixed the BUG that prevented FaceTime calls with people on iOS9, are people saying it was planned obsolesence of the worst kind going to admit they were wrong?

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
So now that Apple has fixed the BUG that prevented FaceTime calls with people on iOS9, are people saying it was planned obsolesence of the worst kind going to admit they were wrong?
@aevan exactly my thoughts and also related to to people shaming others because they where still using old devices.

PS/ Anyhow, I'm still missing the fix for macOS 10.15.4 They also released and additional update for that one too!

Last edited:
Reactions: aevan and CarlJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.