Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the new features set to officially launch in iOS 13.1 next week is "Audio Sharing," which lets you share the audio that you hear from your iPhone with another user.

airpodsvspowerbeatspro-1.jpg

While this feature was initially announced as being supported only for AirPods and Powerbeats Pro with Apple's H1 chip, it will also be coming to all Beats headphones that use a W1 chip, including Beats Studio3 Wireless, BeatsX, Powerbeats3 Wireless, and Solo3 Wireless (via Engadget).

Engadget says the update for Beats headphones will arrive on September 23, although iOS 13.1 won't be released until the following day.

Article Link: iOS 13 Audio Sharing Feature is Coming to All Beats Headphones With H1 and W1 Chips

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I wish they would port back the Announce Messsages with Siri to W1 devices. Not looking likely, though.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Similar to the audio sharing I occasionally encounter on public transit where someone either simply plays their music loudly through their phone’s speaker or use a Beats Pill to share their audio with the extra oomph.

Joking aside, this will be pretty cool and I’m looking forward to it. There’s been a few times at work where I have wished I could share music with a friend/colleague who sits next to me (we talk about music a lot), but she doesn’t have Apple Music so she goes off to YouTube to try to find what I’m talking about. It will be kind of cool to be able to listen along together, etc. Another use will be when I’m flying cross-country to visit the husband’s family— it will be nice to be able to both watch whatever I have on the iPad simply by linking up two sets of headphones.
[automerge]1568989773[/automerge]
Because its not September 24th yet

Not with that attitude it isn’t. ;)

(Side note: OMG. I’m happy to see the MR forum upgrade finally updated the emoji.)

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I wish they would bring this feature to Apple TV
Why is not available for Apple TV?
They will, probably with the upcoming tvOS 13 release. Streaming to two different audio devices is a function of BT 5.0 (and software that implements it, since the current ATV 4K has BT 5 but can’t dual stream) regardless of your headphones having a coprocessor such as a W or H chip, somthis article is a little confusing.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I was very much expecting this and would be demanding some hard answers from Apple why first gen Airpods W1 chips were more equal than my Studio 3's W1 chip.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Looking forward to this functionality for the next time I fly with my wife and we want to watch something on my iPad. One of the few advantages of wired headsets is about to be removed.

Reactions: playaproved

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
As much as I like Apple, I hate when they put up a wall. Why can't we do this for non Apple headphones? Just allow for multiple BT devices. The technology exists. Samsung has been doing it for a few years now. BT5 makes it easy. Just allow 2+ BT connections!

Reactions: Jimmy James

dillacom

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2006
So it will work with Beats headphones with the W1 chip but not the first gen AirPods with a W1 chip? That stinks.
it works with both Gen of AirPods per dev notes
  • Audio sharing is compatible with AirPods (1st generation or later) and PowerBeats Pro. iPhone 8 or later, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, iPad Pro 10.5-inch, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad mini (5th generation), or iPod touch (7th generation or later) is required. (51331268)

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Given that my #1 use case for this is watching a movie on an iPad Pro on a flight, I'm sad that there aren't more (non-Apple) options for noise-cancelling headphones, as the only ones I own are a pair of Beats Studio 3s. I'm really disappointed by the lack of isolation on the Powerbeats Pro; I had to stop using them on the subway because I was developing tinnitus.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
This is unexpected and awesome.

Its been a published feature and was in the keynote, so not unexpected, but yes awesome
[automerge]1568995409[/automerge]
As much as I like Apple, I hate when they put up a wall. Why can't we do this for non Apple headphones? Just allow for multiple BT devices. The technology exists. Samsung has been doing it for a few years now. BT5 makes it easy. Just allow 2+ BT connections!

I think the key message is BT5, yah? Not all devices are BT5 which has not been out that long. Samsung drops too much for me, I like smooth consistent, no interference when I listen

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008

Think about it for two seconds. They are a closed ecosystem. They want to sell stuff in their closed ecosystem, and make stuff work together as much as possible.

Therefor. They release features that are for their closed ecosystem.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Think about it for two seconds. They are a closed ecosystem. They want to sell stuff in their closed ecosystem, and make stuff work together as much as possible.

Therefor. They release features that are for their closed ecosystem.

Think about this for a few seconds, you simply cannot use any non-Apple products with an Apple product, you know closed ecosystem! Wait, that is not true. Now I'm confused at your statement, it seems false on the surface.

It is a good question why this feature is not available on BT5 (actually we don't know that it is not, or won't be, we are just guessing), But the W1 and H1 chips were developed to provide better Bluetooth i.e. better range, fewer drops, more fidelity, and not Qualcomm. So the capabilities are not part of BT5, but are actually Apple specific. It does seem obvious that once this gets released, that BT5 if it is stable, will also be fully supported as it also meets the original objectives of the W1 and H1. Let's hope

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.