iOS 13 Can Auto-Close Safari Tabs for You Based on When You Last Viewed Them

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In iOS 13, Apple has added new functionality in Safari that should enable iPhone and iPad users to better manage their open tabs.

Because of the way Safari for iOS displays tabs in a vertical array, the amount of open tabs in the browser can often get out of hand, and sometimes number in the tens or even hundreds.

[​IMG]

However in iOS 13, Safari will offer to automatically close tabs that have not been viewed recently after one day, one week, or one month. The new Safari function can be changed later in the Settings app.

Apple unveiled iOS 13 last week at WWDC. The newest version of the operating system for iPhone (and the iPad, though the iPad version has been renamed to iPadOS) introduces a long list of new features and some changes that are quite exciting. Be sure to check out the video above for more.

(Thanks, Chris!)

Article Link: iOS 13 Can Auto-Close Safari Tabs for You Based on When You Last Viewed Them

2. gigapocket1 macrumors 65832

3. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

Unfortunately since iOS 11, Safari already automatically closes some of my tabs randomly & intermitently even when my device is locked. It doesn’t happen often but it has happened enough times to be an issue.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I’m I the only one who opens at most 2, rarely 3, tabs in a browser, then closes them when I’m done?

5. now i see it macrumors 68040

After one hour would have been a nice option.

6. Spartan Weaver macrumors newbie

Spartan Weaver

7. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

They need a setting to close all tabs when terminating safari.

8. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I went to use my wife’s xr and she had 300+ tabs open. I looked at her like ??? She said, what’s wrong with that?

So when iOS 13 comes around I’m setting this option on her phone.

9. Phillyfinest89 macrumors member

I do the same thing. My ocd get me every time lol.

10. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

11. KALLT macrumors 601

So… what is wrong with that?

12. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

That's the best response I've heard.

13. B4U macrumors 68010

B4U

You are not alone on this.
    I can never understand why some of my family members can have over 15 tabs opened at the same time.
    And the icing on the cake is, they say they don’t know when I asked them why so many tabs opened.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2019 ---
    At least you took the time to count. :p

14. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

I guess I’m a weirdo. 95% of the time, I have one tab only. The other 5% I may have two. And when I lock my phone, Safari and any open apps get swiped away.

15. Focusx0131 macrumors member

Focusx0131

Funny thing is it was probably just the same few sites just over and over again.

16. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Me too.

17. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Anyone who has had to play tech support for family over the holidays will love this feature. For some reason having 50+ open Safari windows and being unable to close them is the norm for iOS users.

18. dz5b609 macrumors newbie

I think a lot of people (including myself) are using tabs as reminders for stuff.

19. Grey Area macrumors regular

I just counted (and closed) the tabs on my SE: there were 506 of them. :) And yes, what is the problem with that? I do not think they are doing much in the background, they sure aren’t updating themselves.

To be honest, I have never really thought of them as tabs, given that they neither look nor behave like desktop browser tabs. Rather, to me they were something like a browser history.

I’m not even sure why there would be so many open ones otherwise, it is not like I create them by explicitly opening links in a new tab.

20. diego.caraballo macrumors member

We also need this for apps...auto close them if not used in X hours/days

21. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

You don't have to count...the display lists the number of open tabs.:confused:
    How could one find a previously open tab within 300? Safari became a digital garbage can. lol.

22. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Every few weeks I have to hold it down and click on the "Close 500 tabs" button. That is the limit. I am a tab whore.
    If you tap to go to the top of your tabs, and then pull down, there is a search bar.

23. cecil444 macrumors member

cecil444

One other nice Safari feature is the ability to search the open tabs (by page title) which makes it a helpful way to return to content you didn’t finish reviewing.

I definitely use Safari tabs on iPhone as a secondary to-do list...not important enough to add to my primary to-do list/app, but worthwhile enough not to simply close and forget.

24. neliason macrumors 6502

Probably not the only one. I tend to accumulate open tabs. Most often that is because I think I need to go back and reference the tab later. When that is so the information (url) is probably better kept in a note or to do list. So for me it is often a problem of organization and workflow. It isn’t too different from my problem of a pile of mail to go through.

My wife had that problem. When I ran into it I also learned this was all in private browsing mode, which she had no idea how she got into. Many of the tabs she said were important. I decided it was best to not get involved.

25. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

A necessary feature for my wife. It’s insane how many tabs she has open... and isn’t aware of them at all.
    We must be married to the same woman.