iOS 13 Concept Envisions Dark Mode, New Volume Indicator, iPad as Extended Display for Mac, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just days ahead of WWDC 2019, freelance graphic designer Álvaro Pabesio has shared a new iOS 13 concept that envisions many features and changes rumored for the software update, including a long-awaited Dark Mode, a less obtrusive volume indicator, and the iPad serving as an extended display for the Mac.

Dark Mode can be toggled in Control Center and is applied systemwide for a darker appearance that is easier on the eyes. Several rumors suggest Dark Mode is coming to iOS 13, following in the footsteps of macOS Mojave.

[​IMG]

The redesigned volume indicator concept is far less obtrusive than the current one, which has become the subject of memes. Apple's software engineering chief Craig Federighi recently suggested that a new volume indicator is finally on the horizon in an email to a customer and it looks like it is a lock for iOS 13.

[​IMG]

The concept imagines several productivity improvements on the iPad, including a multi-tabbed Files app with a new sidebar and a rumored desktop extension feature that would enable the iPad to be used as a drawing tool for Mac apps.

[​IMG]

Other redesigned apps include Reminders, Music, Mail, and Messages, many of which are in fact expected to receive makeovers in iOS 13.

[​IMG]

Pabesio also envisions several other features that are not guaranteed for iOS 13, at least not exactly how he imagines them, including a redesigned Notification Center and Control Center, multi-user support on the iPad Pro with Face ID integration, and expandable folders in the iPad's dock.

[​IMG]

Apple is widely expected to unveil iOS 13, macOS 10.15, watchOS 6, and tvOS 13 at its WWDC 2019 opening keynote on June 3 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. MacRumors will provide live coverage of Apple's annual developers conference.

Álvaro Pabesio's complete iOS 13 concept can be viewed on Behance.

Article Link: iOS 13 Concept Envisions Dark Mode, New Volume Indicator, iPad as Extended Display for Mac, and More

2. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

There’ll be immense whining, I’m sure, about how this implementation of Dark Mode is not fully black especially for the OLED displays. Apple’s likely won’t be, either, because it’s poor UX design with increased eye strain and leads to OLED smearing, which is just ugly.

3. Peepo macrumors 6502a

Guess if Apple doesn’t make iPad Pro more capable as a real computer replacement, we will at least be able to use it hooked up as display to a real computer LOL.

4. Joniz macrumors regular

“What’s a computer?”

“It’s that thing attached to your iPad by that dongle.”

5. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

Looks really nice, but not getting my hopes up of getting all that. But if anybody has found those wallpapers he used, please let me know!

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

If iOS gets this kind of file management added, I may actually use an iPad!

7. mkammerer macrumors newbie

mkammerer

8. now i see it macrumors 68040

Only a few days away and we'll see the real deal.

9. jeff275 macrumors newbie

10. ZachBeo macrumors newbie

ZachBeo

ios is falling behind in some key areas, critical for the future, for example for support of PWAs.
    Dark mode etc are nice things, but gimmicks. PWAs are the future of apps, and it would be a shame if Apple, who introduced the concept of webapps in iphone 1, misses the pwa train...

11. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

The widget page looks like a less-useful Windows Mobile.

...holy crap, I can get Windows Mobile on my iPhone without Jailbreaking.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2019 ---
    I have a 512gb phone. I don't need to be pulling things from the web constantly.

12. GregJohn macrumors regular

GregJohn

I’m hoping they do have a true black and the “like dark mode on mac” are the tiles, widget backgrounds, apps. But a true black in places like settings - hopefully not just a dark grey... unless you’re using a non OLED display, then fine as it’s not possible anyway

13. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

14. Frantisekj macrumors member

Frantisekj

All great but we are still missing keyboard with prediction for our language. That comes before any other request or desire. And correctly working autocorrect as well. No rocket science but daily little things makes usability.
    And I want to get spotlight search on one swipe away back from anywhere. Making it two step action ruined iOS ergonomic especially on Touch ID iPhones.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

What degenerate(s) designed the existing volume indicator? Who let it stay?

It’s currently like a practical joke. “They want to change the volume. Let’s block the screen. People are going to be rewinding their shows and restarting their games like crazy. Haha.”

16. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I always wonder why people spend so much time coming up with these concepts. Some of the ideas and concepts would be great ideas, but Apple will do their own thing and ignore these so it seems like a pointless exercise.

17. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I can't wait to be really disappointed at the real thing!

18. Hauss316 macrumors member

Exactly. Can’t wait to hear for 5 minutes about them moving the volume indicator to the most aesthetic spot on screen...which should’ve been done years ago.

19. pweicks macrumors regular

pweicks

Man, the people who do all these stupid “concepts” have a loooooot of time on their hands.

20. Octavius8 macrumors member

Octavius8

The best idea Apple can come with for IOS 13 is "the best ever" and "by popular demand", iDark mode. Wow. Really innovative. I guess this level of innovation clearly required to block the Chinese competition.
    All the reviews about iOS 13 are going to focus on "dark mode", how many magazine and site covers this "step forward in iOS" is going to get. Really sad Apple considers this a major feature in Ios. And even worse, is that we believe them...

21. sos47 macrumors regular

sos47

i use iPad remote for a long time with Apple Main Stage and Logic Pro. Very cool that Apple extends the possibilities. But what i really wish is more functionality on iPads without a host

22. AppleFan91 macrumors 68000

AppleFan91

Not to rain on anyone’s parade but Mark Gurman on Twitter has already shut this down. Other than dark mode, he said this concept is not accurate.

23. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

24. Focusx0131 macrumors member

Focusx0131

It’s always good to have multiple perspectives and use cases. Who knows if it’s good enough they may get inspired enough to incorporate certain aspects into iOS. If it’s great, send em a damn job offer.

25. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I'm guessing most of the UX work is already done by now and we'll just see some minor polishing from now until the release. The concepts are nice, but way too late in the cycle to be considered.