iOS 13 Concept Envisions Dark Mode, New Volume Indicator, iPad as Extended Display for Mac, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2019.

1. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

To be honest, dark mode doesn’t interest me, I know many are infatuated with Apple finally on the verge of releasing it, I’m actually looking more forward to watchOS 6, as it seems they will be offering a heap of additions/improvements.

2. JoeCassara macrumors member

3. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I agree with adding text prediction and a better autocorrect–but I don't know what you mean about Spotlight. I can swipe down on any home screen to search.

4. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Wait, this had to be debunked?

I went in to it very clearly thinking it was a mock-up by some graphic artist wanting a showpiece.

5. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Agreed - a concept doesn't need to be debunked. Maybe people weren't paying attention and thought this was a preview or something.

6. FairlyKors macrumors regular

FairlyKors

Whining about what?
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2019 ---
    This is so true— I don’t care about any of these “awesome new updates” a fraction as much as I’d appreciate better handling of grammar and word prediction. Just try typing “i.e.” regularly without losing your mind. There are also so many words that Apple won’t suggest—not because they’re “bad”—but because they’re controversial or uncommon. I don’t pride myself on my vocabulary, but I’ve had to open my dictionary many times just to make sure the word that I thought was real and spelled correct, actually is. At least provide an option to turn on adult language, FFS.

Google is embedded in all kinds of Apple processes (like the “fraudulent website” detection), which is crappy, but if we’re giving all our data to Google anyway, why is the spelling correction 10-20 times better when you search for a word using Google? There’s no excuse for this.

And if you have two languages installed on your keyboard I don’t even need to go into this...it’s awful. The toggle between languages doesn’t fully turn off the other one—which could helpful if it didn’t wreck the experience in the language you’ve chosen...but it does. I have to uninstall the other language to restore full functionality to English typing.

Talk about a low-hanging, obvious and potentially massive improvement. Well, at least for people who input text on their phones, working on this “experience” would be worth the new features in iOS 12 and 13 put together.

And file management. As brilliant as Apple’s software can be, there are some things that are absolutely retarded... My iPad Pro could be so much more useful if getting files onto it and off of it were simple (or just doable).

7. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

I always thought dark mode was a bit of a “meh” feature. Until I tried it. It’s so much more helpful especially when you’re dyslexic. Reading black on white text just messes with your brain.

8. Spacetime Anomaly macrumors member

Spacetime Anomaly

DC movie universe mode: Dark, muddled, and not very good.

9. Frantisekj, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

Frantisekj macrumors regular

Frantisekj

In prior versions of iOS you can swipe screen from top in any app and you had search in place. Now you have to make second swipe screen to right to get search. Just want similar functionality as on mac. command + space anywhere and you have Spotlight.

Thee is one thing that could help as well. When iMessage apps would become keyboard apps so available anywhere you can trigger keyboard. That would be usability breakthrough. For that my 2% of contacts that have iMessage it is useless. Other people I message on other apps where i can message them for free. And they can message me for free as well.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2019 ---
    There is ability to use two languages in bilingual environment. It can be probably turned off. It is on other way helpful if you do not need to switch keyboards all the time, But may have some issues as you pointed.

But imagine if you have for example 6 language keyboards. And iOS/apps do not remember well what language you used in that particular place/conversation last time. You are constantly typing or dictating on wrong keyboard. Some Apps I guess do remember so it may be apps problem.

10. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Looks nice, but will wait and see in a few days. I never really understood the point in creating these. Trying for a job maybe? Who knows.

11. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 65816

TheSkywalker77

People always find something to whine about when it comes to Apple.

And I'm personally happy that the Dark Mode most likely won't be a pitch black. I don't have an OLED device, and even if I did I wouldn't want this. I like the darker grey look that the macOS dark mode has. Pitch black ones are ugly.

12. urnotl33t macrumors member

urnotl33t

We had dark mode. It was iOS 6, 5, 4, iPhone OS 3, iPhone OS 2, iPhone OS 1...

13. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

There’s actually a ton rumored to be coming to iOS 13. Dark mode is just addition. No need to go all doom and gloom because of one feature.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...19-ios-13-macos-10-15-watchos-6-tvos-features

14. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

I’ve always been on the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mantra, but the iOS 1.0 grid is definitely getting boring. I know this is the layout all phones use but, is this the most efficient, user-friendly option? Guess I need to change my wallpaper or something...

15. AppleFan91 macrumors 68000

AppleFan91

Haven’t heard much around this but since they are supposedly fixing the volume hud, I wish they’d also fix the phone app taking up the entire screen when a call comes in and you’re using the phone

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

This freelance designer has been VERY close to real on-point layout with iOS7 and more with Files and other iOS releases with iPad Pro focus on the original release.

The Volume indicator is STILL intrusive .. .it should be heavily opaque and all on-screen notifications for volume, Pic has been saved, etc should be very faint and small WITHOUT blocking the user from still using touch on the screen.

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I don’t get the point of rumor sites publishing concepts like this. Is somebody looking for a job and wants to show off they know how to use Photoshop or something?

18. Konigi macrumors member

Konigi

It might be good for a portfolio. You know, if you would like to get hired somewhere, you could show off and say "Look, I'm actually better than Apple".

That, and also for the dreamers among us.

19. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

...Which I would want very much, as an artist as well as someone who has wanted a screen for a headless Mac

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

21. juiz206 macrumors member

It's a little too late.

I don't understand these concept videos, when iOS 13 is already fully ready to beta launch next week and we already know most of the features. We can be sure Apple never changes its OS drastically.

Why not make an iOS 14 concept?

22. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I hope we can invoke control center from both top left and top right corner, especially on iPhone. It is so stretching to invoke control centre from the top right corner when using iPhone with left hand, almost forcing me to use iPhone with right hand all the time.

23. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

These are concepts of one person who is creating something to say, 'Hey, look at me I think I can do UI design, employ me!" So to put any idea of it could look like this, moan, shout hooray etc., is just pi$$!ing in the wind.

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Federico Viticci just published an iOS 13 wishlist from Steve Troughton-Smith. Why do people publish these things a week before WWDC? Why not publish 6-9 months ago? Especially if they’re trying to get Apple’s attention. And some of the stuff that’s on this wish list - Xcode for iOS, terminal for iOS, scripting, mouse support, virtual machines/emulators - aren’t trivial things. And are mostly for developers/power users. So what is the point of this article when in all likelihood most of these won’t be announced at the keynote?

https://www.macstories.net/stories/wwdc-a-wish-list-2019-edition/

25. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I agree it is far too late for anything like his list if they have not been in progress for a long time. But I'd love to have all of the things on his list!