Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 13, the Home app has received a few notable updates that will make it easier than ever to control and identify your HomeKit devices.

The main Home app screens are the same in iOS 13, but the control options for specific HomeKit devices have been revamped and streamlined. Available controls vary by device, but in general, the change makes options you check or use frequently (such as various light colors) easier to access.

homeaccessoriesios13-800x772.jpg

With HomeKit lights, for example, there's a main display with brightness controls front and center (as it was before), but now, if lights have multiple colors, you'll see a selection of favorites at the bottom rather than having to tap on the color button at the bottom. Settings have also been hidden away a bit and are now accessible from the corner.

Small changes like these have been made for all device types, putting the information that you need at the forefront. There are also several new icons for different HomeKit types such as water sensors, motion sensors, and air quality sensors, making it easier to identify what's what at a glance.

homekitnewaccessoryicons-800x772.jpg

Certain devices, such as the Hue Motion Sensor, will display more information in one place rather than splitting up information. In iOS 12, for example, there are separate HomeKit entries for the motion sensing portion of the Hue sensor, the light measurement, and the temperature measurement, which is confusing and clutters up your Home app. In iOS 13, these are all combined into one.

homekitios13combinedaccessoryfunctions-800x634.jpg

Controls for your HomeKit devices are also now shown in a card-style view so you can swipe them away to get back to the main Home app screen, which is an improvement over the full screen view in iOS 12.

Notably, your AirPlay 2 devices can be used in HomeKit Scenes and Automations for the first time in iOS 13, a major change from what's possible in iOS 12.

airplay2scenes-800x772.jpg

With automations support, your AirPlay 2 devices like the HomePod can be set to do things like play music when you arrive home, or turn off when you leave. You can also have music come on when a HomeKit sensor detects something like motion, or at a specific time of day.

In scenes, HomePod and other AirPlay 2 devices can be paired with other HomeKit devices, so you can do something like have your HomePod and lights come on all with one button press or Siri command.

homekitdevicescenes-800x511.jpg

Controls for speakers in Scenes and Automations include Play Audio, Pause Audio, Resume Audio, Don't Change What's Playing, Use Current Volume, and Set Custom Volume.

homekitsceneautomationoptions-800x634.jpg

These new controls for AirPlay 2 devices will apply to everything from HomePod and Apple TV to HomeKit-enabled third-party TV sets and speakers, providing new ways to integrate audio devices into your home.

Apple also announced other HomeKit-related changes that are worth noting. In-home security cameras are becoming increasingly important, but these introduce privacy concerns related to unauthorized access. Apple has a solution -- a new Secure Video feature.

Secure Video is a new HomeKit API that offers on-device video analysis, sending an encrypted stream to iCloud, so you can be sure that no one is spying on your in-home security cameras. Companies like Logitech and Arlo plan to release cameras that use this technology.

Apple is also adding HomeKit support to routers from companies like Linksys, Eero, and Charter/Spectrum for the first time in iOS 13. With HomeKit controls, users will be able to prevent accessories from accessing their entire home networks.

homekit-routers-800x500.jpg

All of these HomeKit and Home app features will be available in iOS 13, which is limited to developers right now. Apple plans to release a public beta in July, and the software will see an official launch in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 13 Includes Updated Home Interface, Support for AirPlay 2 Devices in Automations

Reactions: h00pak

rdogg125

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2017
Did they update the control center home app? I’m hoping for more than just 9 devices. Or even better, a groups tab that would allow me to group multiple lights.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
It's small, but having the Hue motion sensor information all in one place will be nice. I have never cared about the brightness or knowing in real time when motion is detected. It is nice to see the temperature of a specific room though.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
My problem with beta 1 confining a motion sensor with temperature and humidity on the home screen it is that it seems to only give one number with the unit I’m using. And that number is just the humidity.

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Did they update the control center home app? I’m hoping for more than just 9 devices. Or even better, a groups tab that would allow me to group multiple lights.
You can group lights together. I have two pot lights over my fireplace that are now joined. I don't remember how I did it, but a google search can find you what you want. Now I have one icon for those two (Hue) lights that can be turned on and off with a click.

k1121j

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
i love my hue and homekit things. Anyone figured out why often when i ask siri to turn on a light its not doing it at 100% its so annoying. Also i hope routers out now can be uddated via software to support homekit

gaximus

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I have most of my house running on HomeKit, but the one thing I really really want is to be able to turn off my AppleTV via HomeKit. I can turn it on, but not off.

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
How does the AirPlay 2 automation work for 3rd-party devices (e.g. a Sonos One speaker).

HomePod and Apple TV have native Apple Music playback (i.e. if you ask Siri to play a song on them, the playback is initiated from the HomePod/Apple TV themselves, and does not require your phone anymore). But currently, if you AirPlay music to a 3rd-party speaker, the music is beamed from your iPhone/iPad to the speaker.

So if you create a trigger to automatically play a certain song/playlist on a 3rd-party speaker, in iOS 13, does it requires you to have a compatible device present that can AirPlay to the speaker? Or will AirPlay now also support native playback on 3rd-party devices (à la Spotify Connect)?

Counterpoints

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
Hold up. Does this mean that the Mac version of this App is getting updated too since it's Marzipan based?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This update is absolutely chocked full of excellent meaningful/will be used features. They’re finally adding powerful features to HomeKit and Shortcuts. You’re truly only limited by your imagination!

Where tf is the public beta at
They said it’ll be out in July. Major iOS update beta’s always work this way. Dev only for a few weeks first, then public.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Finally. It made no sense that the AppleTV and HomePod — of all devices — didn’t work with HomeKit. Waking up to the TV or arriving home to a music playlist are major missing features. Glad that that’s been corrected now.

Reactions: j1mmyjm

Tivoli_

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Well, some good news about HomeKit!
Have to wait and see if things will work for my system. Is it July yet (for public beta release)?

bgiuriceo

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
Maryland
Excellent! Apple should work to make Homekit the de-facto standard....just add a few echo-styled mini HomePods and I would leave Amazon in a minute. Apple should work hard and quickly to own the space that all those other guys have.

Reactions: j1mmyjm

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006

In iOS 13, the Home app has received a few notable updates that will make it easier than ever to control and identify your HomeKit devices.

The main Home app screens are the same in iOS 13, but the control options for specific HomeKit devices have been revamped and streamlined. Available controls vary by device, but in general, the change makes options you check or use frequently (such as various light colors) easier to access.

homeaccessoriesios13-800x772.jpg

With HomeKit lights, for example, there's a main display with brightness controls front and center (as it was before), but now, if lights have multiple colors, you'll see a selection of favorites at the bottom rather than having to tap on the color button at the bottom. Settings have also been hidden away a bit and are now accessible from the corner.

Small changes like these have been made for all device types, putting the information that you need at the forefront. There are also several new icons for different HomeKit types such as water sensors, motion sensors, and air quality sensors, making it easier to identify what's what at a glance.

homekitnewaccessoryicons-800x772.jpg

Certain devices, such as the Hue Motion Sensor, will display more information in one place rather than splitting up information. In iOS 12, for example, there are separate HomeKit entries for the motion sensing portion of the Hue sensor, the light measurement, and the temperature measurement, which is confusing and clutters up your Home app. In iOS 13, these are all combined into one.

homekitios13combinedaccessoryfunctions-800x634.jpg

Controls for your HomeKit devices are also now shown in a card-style view so you can swipe them away to get back to the main Home app screen, which is an improvement over the full screen view in iOS 12.

Notably, your AirPlay 2 devices can be used in HomeKit Scenes and Automations for the first time in iOS 13, a major change from what's possible in iOS 12.

airplay2scenes-800x772.jpg

With automations support, your AirPlay 2 devices like the HomePod can be set to do things like play music when you arrive home, or turn off when you leave. You can also have music come on when a HomeKit sensor detects something like motion, or at a specific time of day.

In scenes, HomePod and other AirPlay 2 devices can be paired with other HomeKit devices, so you can do something like have your HomePod and lights come on all with one button press or Siri command.

homekitdevicescenes-800x511.jpg

Controls for speakers in Scenes and Automations include Play Audio, Pause Audio, Resume Audio, Don't Change What's Playing, Use Current Volume, and Set Custom Volume.

homekitsceneautomationoptions-800x634.jpg

These new controls for AirPlay 2 devices will apply to everything from HomePod and Apple TV to HomeKit-enabled third-party TV sets and speakers, providing new ways to integrate audio devices into your home.

Apple also announced other HomeKit-related changes that are worth noting. In-home security cameras are becoming increasingly important, but these introduce privacy concerns related to unauthorized access. Apple has a solution -- a new Secure Video feature.

Secure Video is a new HomeKit API that offers on-device video analysis, sending an encrypted stream to iCloud, so you can be sure that no one is spying on your in-home security cameras. Companies like Logitech and Arlo plan to release cameras that use this technology.

Apple is also adding HomeKit support to routers from companies like Linksys, Eero, and Charter/Spectrum for the first time in iOS 13. With HomeKit controls, users will be able to prevent accessories from accessing their entire home networks.

homekit-routers-800x500.jpg

All of these HomeKit and Home app features will be available in iOS 13, which is limited to developers right now. Apple plans to release a public beta in July, and the software will see an official launch in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 13 Includes Updated Home Interface, Support for AirPlay 2 Devices in Automations

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
Does this mean that the "night lights" in iDevices switches will show up under the main device instead of having it's own HomeKit entry. *squee*

j1mmyjm

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2018
You can group lights together. I have two pot lights over my fireplace that are now joined. I don't remember how I did it, but a google search can find you what you want. Now I have one icon for those two (Hue) lights that can be turned on and off with a click.

Select the first light, go into settings and choose “group with other accessories”
[doublepost=1559768794][/doublepost]
i love my hue and homekit things. Anyone figured out why often when i ask siri to turn on a light its not doing it at 100% its so annoying. Also i hope routers out now can be uddated via software to support homekit

If you just say “turn on the light” it will resume the last used colour and brightness. If you say “turn light to maximum” you’ll likely get the result you’re after.

Reactions: scottlitch

vipergts2207

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Sad to see HomeKit still missing the concept of device ownership by individuals within the 'Home'. This would enable several features like locking other users out of controlling certain device(s) and Siri understanding which device you mean when you say "[action] my [device name]".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.