Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmarttu24

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Do you think iOS 13 could allow support for external storage or do you think its a hardware thing and that they will have to release a new iPad to support it?

I have always wanted an iPad, but the lack of external storage support, has always kept me from buying one. If there is ways around it, please offer your ways of backing up your device without another computer.

Not saying they will even support external storage, just wishful thinking...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Do you think iOS 13 could allow support for external storage or do you think its a hardware thing and that they will have to release a new iPad to support it?
Actually, the new iPad Pro is the first iPad that might actually be able to do this from a hardware perspective. Why? It can output a lot of power over USB-C and charge other devices. If any device is going to support external drives, it would be this one. Not saying it's going to happen in iOS 13, just saying that it's more likely than it has ever been up until this point. I can even confirm that the Samsung T5 SSD using it's supplied USB-C to USB-C cable does indeed power up the device with the indicator light blinking until iOS tells me it can't be read.
[doublepost=1541777316][/doublepost]Okay, so I just tested an older spinning USB 3.0 external drive (2.5") and it didn't even power up. It has one of those weird, flat, but longer USB 3.0 connectors (is it USB-B Mini or USB-A 3.0 Micro with the extra connectors?). I had to use a USB-C to USB-A female adapter, so IDK if that was causing problems, or if I had a single cable if it would work, but right now it's not. I don't have a USB-C drive that is non-SSD to test for higher power usage. Anyone else tried?

Reactions: afir93

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
If they wanted you to just use iCloud (Kerching $$$) then why did they allow dropbox etc to be incorporated into the Files App?

I think we could eventually see file storage devices allowed. With Photoshop coming and the associated file sizes it would be ridiculous not to

jmarttu24

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Cloud services or an NAS. I use a QNAP TS 251+ and it’s basically my own personal cloud. I also use it to host my Plex server and Homebridge.

so by using a NAS or QNAP TS 251+ I could get a 64gb storage iPad and I could access my personal server and be able to save and download the files basically anywhere as long as I have a wifi connection? sorry I am not familiar with these services.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
so by using a NAS or QNAP TS 251+ I could get a 64gb storage iPad and I could access my personal server and be able to save and download the files basically anywhere as long as I have a wifi connection? sorry I am not familiar with these services.

Yes and no. QNAP has apps for server management, but also a web based option as well. This houses a download tool where you can drop download links and download any files you want to your server. It also has its own files app called QFile that you can access anywhere with a network connection. I’ll usually acess this right through the Apple Files app though, so I pretty much just do all file management through the Files app, between iCloud and my server. Hope that makes sense, not as complicated as it may sound.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
If they wanted you to just use iCloud (Kerching $$$) then why did they allow dropbox etc to be incorporated into the Files App?

I think we could eventually see file storage devices allowed. With Photoshop coming and the associated file sizes it would be ridiculous not to

Because I am sure that a lot of people in the Apple ecosystem are using iCloud already.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I go to far too many places for extended periods of time where Internet access is really poor or nonexistent. I never count on availability of cloud services so I use my own wireless device + HDD. I'd prefer a direct connection for speed.

I understand that, I was just answering his questions of how you can backup your device without a computer.

Reactions: secretk and sparksd

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
File browser app it’s like $6 and a usb hdd connected to your router works fine also iCloud.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Cloud services or an NAS. I use a QNAP TS 251+ and it’s basically my own personal cloud. I also use it to host my Plex server and Homebridge.

Likewise. A multipurpose NAS makes a big difference in going iPad-only (or iPad-primary). I do wish Apple would add native WebDAV and SMB share support into Files though (obviously it can be incorporated with other apps, but it seems like the kind of thing that should be included).

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
To answer @jmarttu24 question though: I actually DO think Apple is going to add mass storage device support in iOS 13. Otherwise the move to USB-C is largely stupid.
[doublepost=1541805654][/doublepost]
iCloud and/or a local NAS are still a bottleneck in terms of throughput compared to hardwired storage, since they use Wi-Fi.

What? You mean you DON'T want an Ethernet dongle hanging off your iPad all the time? :)

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami

I have always wanted an iPad, but the lack of external storage support, has always kept me from buying one. If there is ways around it, please offer your ways of backing up your device without another computer.

Rumor has it iOS 13 will have a huge revamp with the user interface on the iPad hope it turns more into a computer and away from iOS

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Likewise. A multipurpose NAS makes a big difference in going iPad-only (or iPad-primary). I do wish Apple would add native WebDAV and SMB share support into Files though (obviously it can be incorporated with other apps, but it seems like the kind of thing that should be included).

Absolutely agree. I can make it work, but it would be a whole lot better with both incorporated.

Ken Magel

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
I think it is th elack of drivers that is limiting the use of external storage and direct connections to printers. I hope these will be included in IOS 13.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I think it is th elack of drivers that is limiting the use of external storage and direct connections to printers. I hope these will be included in IOS 13.
I think Apple needs to recognize and acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of a pure tablet. If they did that, then people wouldn't be clamoring for hard-wired peripherals.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think Apple needs to recognize and acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of a pure tablet. If they did that, then people wouldn't be clamoring for hard-wired peripherals.
Interesting.

What exactly is a "pure tablet"? How is Apple not recognizing and acknowledging the strengths and weaknesses?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Interesting.

What exactly is a "pure tablet"? How is Apple not recognizing and acknowledging the strengths and weaknesses?
I would categorize a pure tablet as "not a 2-in-1" and "does not have a mouse". Maybe that's too simplistic.

As far as strengths and weaknesses, the more I think about it the more I feel that it is the Apple fanatics who position iPads as laptop replacements, more so than Apple themselves. Whenever somebody on this forum says "but why can't I copy a file from an SD card?" or something similar, people say they're doing it wrong.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

I just hope iOS 13 is fully optimized for the 8 Core A12X cpu in the new iPad Pro. iPad Pros should be hella faster than any iPhone loading apps and opening web pages compared to my iPhone 6s Plus. It’s way too close. And unacceptable than an iPhone 6s Plus gives you similar performance to a 2018 iPad Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesrick80

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I would categorize a pure tablet as "not a 2-in-1" and "does not have a mouse". Maybe that's too simplistic.

As far as strengths and weaknesses, the more I think about it the more I feel that it is the Apple fanatics who position iPads as laptop replacements, more so than Apple themselves. Whenever somebody on this forum says "but why can't I copy a file from an SD card?" or something similar, people say they're doing it wrong.
From day-1, Apple provided a physical keyboard option for the iPad. They have always given the vision that the iPad was more than just a screen that one can touch.

But Apple wants to slow-walk the advances of the iPad as a laptop replacement because the longer it takes, the more iPads they can sell. They only advance when market forces cause them to. Android tablets, early on, were able to do more (in terms of laptop replacement) than the iPad... support for mice, removable storage, file system, extensive support for USB peripherals, extended displays, etc. But Apple was able to conquer Android tablets without having to offer any of those things.

The only possibility of Apple providing support for mice, removable storage, etc. will be if there is a viable competitor. If no competitor is forthcoming, Apple will not offer those things on the iPad.

Reactions: Ludatyk

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I’m surprised no one in this thread has mentioned that there are a number of wireless hard drives that *can* interact with iOS devices, both through the Files app and 3rd party apps? Western Digital’s My Passport Wireless is probably the best solution. You can transfer files from the SD card straight to the drive, and then the drive can be seen by multiple apps across iOS, pretty much anything you’d need to use for working on large files.

Sure, those wireless SSDs are more expensive than a regular one (although HDD versions exist that are pretty much the same price these days), and that’s not ideal. Plug and play is what mostly people want. But it is 100% possible to access files on an iOS device from a hard drive. I do it all the time.

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.