Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PetterPan

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
I’m surprised no one in this thread has mentioned that there are a number of wireless hard drives that *can* interact with iOS devices, both through the Files app and 3rd party apps? Western Digital’s My Passport Wireless is probably the best solution. You can transfer files from the SD card straight to the drive, and then the drive can be seen by multiple apps across iOS, pretty much anything you’d need to use for working on large files.

Sure, those wireless SSDs are more expensive than a regular one (although HDD versions exist that are pretty much the same price these days), and that’s not ideal. Plug and play is what mostly people want. But it is 100% possible to access files on an iOS device from a hard drive. I do it all the time.
So a with a USB-C SD card reader attached to an Ipad Pro, I can transfer all pictures and videos from SD card to the Passport wireless HD?
[doublepost=1551267630][/doublepost]So I can connect the apple USB-C SD card reader to an Ipad Pro 11 and transfer all jpg and raw files and videofiles on the SD card, to the Passport wireless HD?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
So a with a USB-C SD card reader attached to an Ipad Pro, I can transfer all pictures and videos from SD card to the Passport wireless HD?
[doublepost=1551267630][/doublepost]So I can connect the apple USB-C SD card reader to an Ipad Pro 11 and transfer all jpg and raw files and videofiles on the SD card, to the Passport wireless HD?

No, the drive has an SD card slot. You transfer the files from the SD card to the drive, and then access the drive contents wirelessly from the iPad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I’m surprised no one in this thread has mentioned that there are a number of wireless hard drives that *can* interact with iOS devices, both through the Files app and 3rd party apps? Western Digital’s My Passport Wireless is probably the best solution. You can transfer files from the SD card straight to the drive, and then the drive can be seen by multiple apps across iOS, pretty much anything you’d need to use for working on large files.

Sure, those wireless SSDs are more expensive than a regular one (although HDD versions exist that are pretty much the same price these days), and that’s not ideal. Plug and play is what mostly people want. But it is 100% possible to access files on an iOS device from a hard drive. I do it all the time.
I can't speak for the others, but I use wireless drives with my iPad. I didn't mention it because that solution is a kludgey workaround to get around the deficiencies in iOS' inability to interact with removeable media. I use it when I absolutely have to, but I would not use it as any part of my daily workflow.

"Simplicity" is one of those things that people say is one of the benefits to Apple products and a reason why it is worth paying more for Apple products and yet when a limitation is reached, then it is "no big deal" to jump through hoops to get that other stuff working. (please note that I'm not accusing you of engaging in that, you're not, but it is often brushed off by others as no big deal)

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
But it seems users want an impure tablet.

I don't!

"Simplicity" is one of those things that people say is one of the benefits to Apple products and a reason why it is worth paying more for Apple products and yet when a limitation is reached, then it is "no big deal" to jump through hoops to get that other stuff working. (please note that I'm not accusing you of engaging in that, you're not, but it is often brushed off by others as no big deal)

I would like more access to the file system as much as anybody else, for certain purposes. However, I wouldn't want that at the expense of the simplicity of using an iPad instead of a general purpose computer. Android actually strikes a pretty good balance there. I've always used a workflow where I FTP my password file to my Android phone. I can see all the files when needed, but when I'm just using apps, I don't see all that. In the MSDOS days, we all ran Norton Commander which showed files but could hardly do a preview. Nowadays, the focus has clearly shifted to content. I really like a strong association between files and their apps because it makes my life easy. How that can be reconciled in an elegant way with an external drive that shows any file anywhere, remains to be seen.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I go to far too many places for extended periods of time where Internet access is really poor or nonexistent. I never count on availability of cloud services so I use my own wireless device + HDD. I'd prefer a direct connection for speed.

Wow. I'd love to hear about some of the places you've been. Sounds cool. I also spend extended time in some pretty remote areas of the world. I continually find myself blown away at the local data connections I can get with a local SIM. I was working deep in the jungles of Southeast Asia, sleeping on a mat with no electricity and was amazed at my local cellular data connection. Good thing I had my Anker battery packs. iCloud has worked great for me. However, if you spend a lot of time in remote parts of the world then I'd still recommend just spending the extra money and getting a larger HD iPad. It's not that much more money for someone that can afford to travel. Plus not having to travel with an extra HD is one less thing to pack. I do understand that us travel people have our own ideas of what works best though.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Wow. I'd love to hear about some of the places you've been. Sounds cool. I also spend extended time in some pretty remote areas of the world. I continually find myself blown away at the local data connections I can get with a local SIM. I was working deep in the jungles of Southeast Asia, sleeping on a mat with no electricity and was amazed at my local cellular data connection. Good thing I had my Anker battery packs. iCloud has worked great for me. However, if you spend a lot of time in remote parts of the world then I'd still recommend just spending the extra money and getting a larger HD iPad. It's not that much more money for someone that can afford to travel. Plus not having to travel with an extra HD is one less thing to pack. I do understand that us travel people have our own ideas of what works best though.

I run into this issue all the time in places in government buildings in the US where either the WI-FI is horrible or guest access is just not allowed.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I run into this issue all the time in places in government buildings in the US where either the WI-FI is horrible or guest access is just not allowed.

I've had that issue in some embassies as well. These issues is why, for my work needs, it just makes sense to spend the extra on a larger HD iPad. I do realize that some people are trying to save money by buying the smaller HD's. I guess if they're trying to save money then the cellular version may not be on their radar. don't get me wrong, I don't have tons of extra cash laying around either. But I do have to buy what works best for my needs. My time spent in government buildings were I could freely use my own personal devices is admittedly limited.

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
I've had that issue in some embassies as well. These issues is why, for my work needs, it just makes sense to spend the extra on a larger HD iPad. I do realize that some people are trying to save money by buying the smaller HD's. I guess if they're trying to save money then the cellular version may not be on their radar. don't get me wrong, I don't have tons of extra cash laying around either. But I do have to buy what works best for my needs. My time spent in government buildings were I could freely use my own personal devices is admittedly limited.
Or how about Apple just allow external storage. Like ever other tablet or 2 in 1 ever made does. I say this as someone who has purchased every generation of iPad since iPad 4. It’s seriously crippling. Icloud is not a reasonable solution when you are dealing with multi gig files or want something that you can share instantly with colleagues via a tiny USB stick or SD card.

I get that greed will not allow Apple to do it, but that doesn’t make it right.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Or how about Apple just allow external storage. Like ever other tablet or 2 in 1 ever made does. I say this as someone who has purchased every generation of iPad since iPad 4. It’s seriously crippling. Icloud is not a reasonable solution when you are dealing with multi gig files or want something that you can share instantly with colleagues via a tiny USB stick or SD card.

I get that greed will not allow Apple to do it, but that doesn’t make it right.

I agree with you. Having storage options is always a great thing. By the way, I’ve owned every generation of iPad since the original. Still have two grandfathered unlimited plans since week one of iPad one. I don’t consider it greed that Apple doesn’t offer some options. I prefer the sandboxed approach that allows better security. However, if I needed a two in one or a tablet that allowed me to do things the iPad can’t do, I’d go buy a different device that met my needs. I’m not an insider but I bet Apple is no more greedy than any other tech company. When the iPad no longer meets my needs, I’ll buy something that does. We have that as an option too.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I’m already paying extra for storage from apple on the cloud every month and I’m done with it, I’m already limited to what internet I can get at home, being that I only have satellite internet, our data usage is seriously limited. I’m canceling all of my icloud storage accounts.. I sold my 64GB iPad, and just ordered a 1TB 11” version. I’m going to slam it with all my files, pictures, videos, and music, and movies, books etc. etc.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I have a very wild prediction (5% chance). Apple will make and sell a MFi(pad) Hard Drive and sell it at a huge markup. It will allow direct access file management, but only the Apple Drive will be recognized.....

In any event, count me as one that would desparately love to see external drive support.

Davefevs

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
Bristol, UK
I have a very wild prediction (5% chance). Apple will make and sell a MFi(pad) Hard Drive and sell it at a huge markup. It will allow direct access file management, but only the Apple Drive will be recognized.....

In any event, count me as one that would desparately love to see external drive support.

It wouldn’t surprise me either if they created something “apple only”.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England

Don't give them ideas. lol.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Any chance we'll get a frickin built-in calculator app?

Sure there are crappy free ad-ridden ones. Or complicated paid ones.

I'm not sure why Apple refuses to include one.
For what they charge for a device they tout as a computer, not including one is not only a huge oversight, but an embarrassment.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
iCloud just isn’t an option for video or raw photo editing workflows.
We need external hard drive support and I’m certain we will get it. Everything else makes no sense.

I agree with the need and REALLY hope that Apple adds it, but they seem to be so arbitrarily stubborn about certain things that I really would not be surprised if they continued to refuse to add it.

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
I would think the number one reason you can’t plug just any storage device to an iOS device and freely save and load files is Security. It would open a huge hole that does not presently exist.

If there is ever an external storage method I can see it only being an Apple branded and sold device with proprietary hardware set up to authenticate itself with the paired iOS device. Anything less brings into jeopardy one of the strongest and compelling reasons for being a part of the Apple hardware/software world.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Any chance we'll get a frickin built-in calculator app?

Sure there are crappy free ad-ridden ones. Or complicated paid ones.

I'm not sure why Apple refuses to include one.
For what they charge for a device they tout as a computer, not including one is not only a huge oversight, but an embarrassment.

Seriously! That, and all the other missing iPhone only stock apps. It would be ridiculous if the Calculator app came to the watch before the iPad.

Apparently the Health app is getting an overhaul too. Hopefully that means iPad integration, finally.

rrayborn38

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2017
I’ve been trying to use the iPad Pro 12.9 2018 as a MacBook Pro replacement on my current business trip. To call it a total failure would be an understatement. Much as I love the iPad as a media consumption device, it isn’t even close to replacing an OS/X-based computer for doing actual work. Even the do-able things seem to take three times longer.

But it’s very good for a professional social media influencer’s style of “fake work”, I guess. :)

I’m not expecting any big improvements in iOS 13 - nor any real external file support. Apple just doesn’t believe you need it.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I’ve been trying to use the iPad Pro 12.9 2018 as a MacBook Pro replacement on my current business trip. To call it a total failure would be an understatement. Much as I love the iPad as a media consumption device, it isn’t even close to replacing an OS/X-based computer for doing actual work. Even the do-able things seem to take three times longer.

But it’s very good for a professional social media influencer’s style of “fake work”, I guess. :)

I’m not expecting any big improvements in iOS 13 - nor any real external file support. Apple just doesn’t believe you need it.

I have such a love-hate relationship with my iPad and the hate part is all iOS! For things like media consumption and content creation (LumaFusion rocks!) it is fantastic. But I too have tried to take it on a business trip and agree with you 100% - any serious work editing large documents or spreadsheet and collaboration with other people on project is a massive exercise in frustration and painfully slow. In the end I have to take both my MBP and an iPad with me to get the best of both worlds. iOS 13 looks like it will solve a few things but from the rumors I am hearing a lot of major shortcomings likely will not be addressed and I'll still have to carry my MBP most places.

Reactions: Woodcrest64

rrayborn38

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2017
I have such a love-hate relationship with my iPad and the hate part is all iOS! For things like media consumption and content creation (LumaFusion rocks!) it is fantastic. But I too have tried to take it on a business trip and agree with you 100% - any serious work editing large documents or spreadsheet and collaboration with other people on project is a massive exercise in frustration and painfully slow. In the end I have to take both my MBP and an iPad with me to get the best of both worlds. iOS 13 looks like it will solve a few things but from the rumors I am hearing a lot of major shortcomings likely will not be addressed and I'll still have to carry my MBP most places.

For future trips it’s MBP 13” for real work and iPad Mini for media consumption. iPad Pro stays home to water my plants. :)

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
For future trips it’s MBP 13” for real work and iPad Mini for media consumption. iPad Pro stays home to water my plants. :)

Unfortunately, I have a 15" MBP to lug around with an 11" iPad for media consumption. I also have a 12.9" that I was hoping could act as a laptop replacement for trips, but it doesn't...

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

These are expensive, heavy, and downright clunky workarounds and are proprietary, with variably effective implementations, which is exactly why they are not a proper solution. People have not forgotten they exist. People just in general would prefer not to be forced to use them.

Reactions: richpjr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.