Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14.2 Beta Adds New Shazam Music Recognition Feature for Control Center

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the first beta of iOS 14.2 to developers for testing purposes, and the new update introduces a Music Recognition control for the Control Center.

The new feature lets you discover music playing around you and it recognizes the music playing with in apps, even when you're wearing AirPods. Songs pop up as notifications, and you can tap to listen in Apple Music.

Shazam's Music Recognition feature can be added to Control Center through the Control Center options in the Settings app. To use the feature, open up Control Center and then tap on the Shazam icon to initiate a single recognition.

Apple devices have long been able to recognize songs through Shazam, but doing so at the current time requires asking Siri to identify a song or opening up the Shazam app for iOS devices. The new Control Center feature will make it easier to get a song recognized with minimal effort.

With today's update, Apple has also added a new music feature that displays Apple Music suggestions in the Control Center Now Playing widget when music is not being actively played. Redesigned media controls also make it easier to see and control AirPlay-connected devices like Apple TVs and speakers.

For those who have low vision, Apple introduced a new "People Detection" feature in the Magnifier app that is designed to use the camera to let iPhone users know how far away other people are.

The new iOS 14.2 beta will likely be in testing for some time as Apple works on releasing new iPhones. We're expecting new iPhones to debut sometime in October.

Article Link: iOS 14.2 Beta Adds New Shazam Music Recognition Feature for Control Center

Last edited:

Kyle4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
Is this similar to the feature on the Pixel 2 where the phone detects anything playing, just with the screen on? Or does this only work if you select it? Would love the former feature.

Reactions: arkitect

JayeDogg

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2019
LMAO i was just bitching about Shazam removing the widget and not adding a new widget to replace it. I went as far as posting a shortcut as a widget just for them to pull this out the bag! 😂
**** me too!!!!

Tofupunch

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2014
Is it only first party apps that have access to control center? I can see devs making this yet another point of contention. But in all honesty, it would be cool if control center was opened up to everyone else.

GregJohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2015
Saskatoon, SK
What was the OTA size - I thought I say like 500mb on my iPhone 11 Pro Max running gm 14
but then I saw 4.8 gb on the gm iPad Pro 2018 so I think I misread the iPhone!

seems like a large update for just 2 changes (and some bug fixes)

katbel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Shazam was already working in 13 iOS like a widget...Plus I think I missed the 14.1 beta....

danny842003

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
I’m an infrequent Shazam user and half the time I miss the track as I can’t work out where the app I never use is.
This whilst a tiny change is brilliant.

kerr

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
The Control Center should not look like the Home Screen, icons should be translucent with a white image

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.