Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 14 will be compatible with all iPhones and iPod touch models able to run iOS 13, according to information shared today by Israeli site The Verifier.

ios14roundupheaderb.jpg

The compatibility data was allegedly found in a leaked version of iOS 14 and confirmed by what The Verifier says is a "trusted source from the system development process."

iOS 13 is compatible with the iPhone 6s and later, with a full list of models below.
  • iPhone SE (2020)
  • iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
  • iPhone SE (2016)
  • iPhone 6s and 6s Plus
  • iPod touch (7th-generation)
The site says that this is the last version of iOS that the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and 2016 iPhone SE will support, which is no surprise as Apple often provides software updates for approximately four or five years after the release of a new device.

There is no word on which iPads will be able to run iPadOS 14, but if iPadOS 14 is compatible with all iPads able to run iPadOS 13, it will work on the iPad Air 2, 3rd-gen iPad Air, iPad mini 4 and 5, 5th, 6th, and 7th-generation iPads, and all iPad Pro models.

The Verifier doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to accurate leaks with both hits and misses, but French site iPhoneSoft.fr also previously said that iOS 14 will be compatible with all devices able to run iOS 13.

Apple will unveil iOS 14 at its all-digital WWDC event, which is set to kick off on June 22.

Article Link: iOS 14 Again Said to Be Compatible With All iPhones Able to Run iOS 13

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Cool. If that 5.4" iPhone 12 pans out, I'll probably get my wife that and pass her SE down to my grandpa. He has a crappy flip phone that he hates because it's so hard to use. He has started using an iPad the last couple years and is interested in getting an older iPhone to put on a prepaid line.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
If there's anything that Apple does right it's how long they support devices. I'm at a point where every apple device I use is 100% useful and while getting new products is exciting the fact that I can stick with what I have on a new powerful OS year over year is equally as exciting.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It sounds like a guess on that site's part. An educated guess, but a guess nonetheless. In any case, our iPhone SE (original) and iPhone 6s should get the update, considering they have A9 and 2 GB RAM.

Here's hoping for our two iPad Air 2s which have A8X and 2 GB RAM also get iPadOS 14.

I expect performance to be reasonable on all these devices. Maybe not quite as good on the iPad mini 4 with A8 though.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Note that Apple lets you test out the new OS for a few days, so you could always downgrade back to iOS 13 if you don't like iOS 14.

This is usually only allowed for the first few days after release though.

Permanent Sigh

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2019
My iPhone 8 continues to be relevant, woo!
Let's hope the same will be true for macOS. I would hate it if my ancient late 2012 iMac wouldn't get major updates anymore. Especially since we're in this weird transition period where some Apps are Catalyst Apps but not very great.

As someone with a 2010 iMac: it sucks to not have any more OS updates and slowly lose app updates due to them needing Mojave or newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.