Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will unveil iOS 14 on Monday at its first ever digital WWDC keynote, but thanks to a leaked version of iOS that circulated around the internet this spring, multiple details about the new operating system are already known.

Apple-Podcast-Alternate.jpg

New features are coming to Messages, there's a new Fitness app, Safari will see major changes, and now, a rumor from 9to5Mac suggests the update will also include changes to the Podcasts app.

Podcasts in iOS 14 may include a "For You" tab much like Apple Music, offering up podcast content based on personal preferences to help with content discovery.

Podcast creators will have the option to develop bonus content for their podcasts, which will be similar to movie extras, and a user profile will allow you to see what friends are listening to.

Apple has been ramping up its podcast efforts to better compete with Spotify. Recent rumors have indicated Apple is working on original podcasts that will be exclusive to the Podcasts app.

Apple is working to create audio spinoffs of movies and TV shows on Apple TV+, but is also looking to purchase original programs that could potentially be adapted into future TV+ content.

Apple competitor Spotify has been investing heavily in original content and has purchased several well-known podcasts. In 2019, Spotify purchased Gimlet Media known for podcasts like "Reply All" and "Homecoming," and earlier this year, Spotify bought the exclusive rights to popular podcast "The Joe Rogan Experience."

Article Link: iOS 14 Could Include Revamped Podcasts App With 'For You' Recommendations

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2016
Finally!
Now all they need to do is remove the iTunes Store app from the iPhone, integrate an iTunes tab into Apple Music, then all the apps will be modernized.
iTunes is already built right into the TV app, I don’t see why it’s not built into Apple Music, and still is in its own dedicated app. I think that’s stupid
[automerge]1592498847[/automerge]
Also, the iTunes Store app hasn’t been touched in years

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Idk what it is, but to this day I have never listened to a podcast. They’re extremely popular and I guess I can see why, but they don’t seem appealing to me at all.

I’ve been in Apple’s app and it though and it can definitely use some work.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2016
Oh god, so now they are going to break the Podcasts app.....
Well, guess we can add that to the list, I suppose. Mail, Podcasts, Reminders....
Love the new reminders app.
Mail needs a lot of work.
However, podcasts already sucks. It constantly crashes, and it’s really sluggish

Reactions: martyjmclean

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
I listen exclusively to Podcasts, gave up on paid music streaming. If this bonus content thing somehow turns into a payment program similar to subscribing to a Youtuber I'm headed back to FM radio.

Reactions: jpn

MisterK

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Apple's Podcasts app is INFURIATING. I regularly go back to see if its usable yet because it's still the best way to find new Podcasts. Playback, however, is a different issue. I've settled on Downcast as my preferred podcast player and I have the entire app basically set up to handle two views: All my podcasts treated as folders and I can just tap into one to listen to it's latest episodes (I have it set up to keep the 2 latest), and a Playlist for showing my latest podcast episodes in chronological order. When that one finishes a podcast, it plays the next newest one (and so on). That's it. That's all Apple would have to do to make a decent podcast app.

Whether it's through AI or some sort of listening algorithm, Podcasts App seems like they're trying to be too clever. Like the people on the Podcast team saw some talk by Facebook's newsfeed algorithm team and figured they could introduce something like that, but it was unnecessary because displaying podcasts is FAR simpler than daily posts from 1000 friends and advertisers.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Idk what it is, but to this day I have never listened to a podcast. They’re extremely popular and I guess I can see why, but they don’t seem appealing to me at all.

I’ve been in Apple’s app and it though and it can definitely use some work.

i dont have the attention span. Same with audio books. 5 minutes in and my mind is drifting off elsewhere and when the episode is over I am like hmmm what did I actually listen to lol

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
The current Podcast app struggles to work with Carplay. Fix that issue. It's just slightly better than the 1st gen Apple Watch third-party app, kind of bad.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I doubt it will pull me away from Overcast, but I'm glad to see any attention from Apple as long as they don't try to become too influential. As of now, they've kind of had a beneficial neglect situation.

Reactions: Dwalls90

Dwalls90

Contributor
Feb 5, 2009
I doubt it will pull me away from Overcast, but I'm glad to see any attention from Apple as long as they don't try to become too influential. As of now, they've kind of had a beneficial neglect situation.

You beat me to it. Overcast is fantastic.

I can see Apple pushing harder with podcasts now, since we now have Spotify in that territory and courting exclusive podcast content.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You beat me to it. Overcast is fantastic.

I can see Apple pushing harder with podcasts now, since we now have Spotify in that territory and courting exclusive podcast content.

I am OK with Apple moving into the space and I am also OK with some specialized podcasts locked behind the Apple Music or Apple TV subscription. But I just hope that Apple stays more or less in different podcasting as a whole. As of now they have such a dominant market share and have been so hands off that it has allowed the podcasting ecosystem to grow

Reactions: BMox81

JGIGS

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Finally!
Now all they need to do is remove the iTunes Store app from the iPhone, integrate an iTunes tab into Apple Music, then all the apps will be modernized.
iTunes is already built right into the TV app, I don’t see why it’s not built into Apple Music, and still is in its own dedicated app. I think that’s stupid

IF that means I can build smart playlist on ios devices I would very much like this.

Kleber20

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2013
Awesome, another “for you” tab that will spam me with rap music I never ever liked!

Sethal

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Finally!

Personally I'd rather have it be a separate app. I don't go to my music app to purchase music, I go there to stream what's included in my subscription. To each their own though.

bollman

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
Podcasts is the next revenue stream to be explored. Expect podcasts to become even more platform/service specific and you can bet you have to pay.
It hurts the companies to see free content. Add popularity to the free content and it makes them furious. They NEED to find a way to make money out of podcasts, and you can bet they have the monetary power to make that happen.
They will offer huge contracts to every podcaster with any name to them and then lock them in to their platform and throw away the key.

Hiddecollee

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Finally!

Yeah they should definitely integrate iTunes in the Music app. When you are subscribed to Apple Music you can just stream like you normally do. When you are not subscribed, the For You page and playlists will be removed, so it's all about albums and singles that you can buy directly in the Music app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.