Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Interesting....are you using any of apples wallpapers or are your Home Screen and Lock Screen custom?

I’m using both OS14 stock wallpaper and sometimes custom wallpapers.
Same wallpaper both for home and lockscreen. Perspective zoom on, dark dims off.

Just updated to 14.01. All icons size are still good.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I’m using both OS14 stock wallpaper and sometimes custom wallpapers.
Same wallpaper both for home and lockscreen. Perspective zoom on, dark dims off.

Just updated to 14.01. All icons size are still good.
Hmmmm maybe that’s the key...use the same wallpaper for both. I’ll try and report back.

Dakko

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
Hmmmm maybe that’s the key...use the same wallpaper for both. I’ll try and report back.
I haven’t seen the issue since I posted several days ago. I am using the same wallpaper for home and lockscreen so perhaps that plays some role. On my iPad Mini 5, if I change wallpapers, the issue reappears immediately. A restart fixes it and remains fixed. I am on iPad OS 14.2 and did file a bug report. I only wish that I had been more methodical in trying to find a cause and effect.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I haven’t seen the issue since I posted several days ago. I am using the same wallpaper for home and lockscreen so perhaps that plays some role. On my iPad Mini 5, if I change wallpapers, the issue reappears immediately. A restart fixes it and remains fixed. I am on iPad OS 14.2 and did file a bug report. I only wish that I had been more methodical in trying to find a cause and effect.
Yes, I can report that using the same wallpaper for lock screen and home screen also works for me too. But it cant be Apples light/dark built in wallpapers, has to be one set from photos app. Another thing I noticed was that if I even go into the wallpaper section in settings and then exit....the icons get all screwed up. WHAT A WEIRD BUG THIS IS!

Dakko

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
What I find weird is that there seems to be different degrees of severity of this bug. I can only replicate it by changing wallpapers but I have read that others can replicate it with different actions. It is by no means a dealbreaker since there is no effect on functionality but it is a little unsettling to have a few mini icons among the grown ups. Hopefully there will be a fix in one of the next updates.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
The 14.0.01 update fixed this for me
For me it actually caused it to happen for the first time. I never noticed it with 14 version.

Even just scrolling between home screen pages left and right changes the size randomly back to normal in some icon and making some other icon smaller. Definitely some os bug.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I’ve played with wallpaper settings til I am blue in the face, but for me they make no difference.

As stated in an earlier post in this thread, if you change the wallpaper you can expect icon and widget sizes to go wonky. The easy fix for now is to reboot the iPhone or iPad after changing the wallpaper.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
As stated in an earlier post in this thread, if you change the wallpaper you can expect icon and widget sizes to go wonky. The easy fix for now is to reboot the iPhone or iPad after changing the wallpaper.
I never changed the wallpaper from the default and I only started having this issue after 14.01 update!

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Restarting fixes it yes temporarily....but as soon as you change wallpapers again (or one of apples built in dark mode wallpapers take over), the icons sizes go wild.

Yes it is a pain to keep restarting. This is obviously a bug, at least in iPadOS 14 (I don’t have this issue in iOS 14), and until Apple fixes it we are stuck with it. It is just cosmetic, so I expect Apple will place it in a low priority category of bugs to fix...

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Not sure these two are related but I have noticed that Logitech Combo Touch touchpad often starts acting up (pointer disappear or starts jumping around) when icons sizes go crazy...

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Not sure these two are related but I have noticed that Logitech Combo Touch touchpad often starts acting up (pointer disappear or starts jumping around) when icons sizes go crazy...
Seems like the icons get small like when you long press or “right click”.....even if there’s no mouse.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Seems like the icons get small like when you long press or “right click”.....even if there’s no mouse.
Yeah, I guess it may be very well somehow related to gestures, as this icons getting smaller and also LCT trackpad starting acting up usually is triggered by using gestures... Interesting that I started seeing this after 14 > 14.01 update.

I first thought my LCT is broken but like last night when trackpad and icon sizes went crazy, I noticed that trackpad was actually working but pointer was lost, so that I could swipe trackpad left and right and change home screen pages and also start programs "blindly". Doing home + power button down reset (Air 3) resolve both issues for a while.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Just experienced this issue for the first time (after restarting my iPad Pro ?).

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
The icon and widget resizing is covered in another thread. Basically, if you change Wallpapers on an iPad it will likely cause this resizing to occur. So after switching Wallpapers, restart the iPad.

The stacked widget is a PITA to set up. I have to chase the darn thing all over the screen when I try to drop another widget into it. But it eventually it lets me do it. The touch screen interface is really glitchy these days...

Apple's programming has become uber sloppy over the past decade and seems to be getting sloppier with each release.

Reactions: katbel

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
The icon and widget resizing is covered in another thread. Basically, if you change Wallpapers on an iPad it will likely cause this resizing to occur. So after switching Wallpapers, restart the iPad.
At least in my case, I didn't change the wallpaper for months and the icon size bug just appeared out of nowhere.

Dakko

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
The icon resizing bug may be fixed in iPad OS 14.2 Beta 2. I had the problem whereby whenever I changed wallpapers a few of the icons became very small. After the update, I tried changing the wallpaper 10 times and have yet to see the bug. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: katbel

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
There’s always bugs in a new operating System in spite of all the testing By the Pros and Public beta testing. IOS is a work in progress after a few updates it will be much better

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I have never even entered Wallpapers menu and I'm getting this issue on my brand new Air 3. It started after updating to latest OS 14.01. I think in my case it is more related to using external trackpad with gestures (Air 3 + Logitech Combo Touch) because icon issue usually occur right around the same time when trackpad goes crazy (gestures get locked and/or pointer is jumping between two random icons and then eventually pointer disappear completely and trackpad stops working). Using two button reset fixes the issue for few hours.

The stacked widget is a PITA to set up. I have to chase the darn thing all over the screen when I try to drop another widget into it. But it eventually it lets me do it. The touch screen interface is really glitchy these days...
I noticed too that even simply trying to reorder Widgets is complicated. Especially that Tips Widget refuse to move in reasonable way, only maybe one step at the time and even then it seems to want to go up when reordering others.

Apple's programming has become uber sloppy over the past decade and seems to be getting sloppier with each release.
Yeah. I wonder how beta versions are working, because if official version acts like this???

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Apple has always tried to focus on blending the functionality of technology with the beauty of art. If you are going to spend hours each day staring at a screen, that screen should be a work of art. And because we, who buy Apple products, have worked out that we would rather stare at a technological work of art than a plastic box, we are content to pay extra for the same (or often inferior) processors.

Apple’s design credo fails when all the characters in Michelangelo’s “The Last Supper“ randomly display as different sizes!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Restarting helps but even when you update the iPad from the computer with Apple Configurator or iTunes the icons go crazy again and you get a variety of sizes: not good at all!

Utilisateur Phoenix

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2020
It was thought this was only an iPad issue , but iphone is also having the random icon and sometime widget changing sizes. Notice the Ford app and mail app are too large. On iPad some icons and widgets get too small. So far it seems related to either switching wallpapers or when only apples dark mode wallpapers kick in , I think. That seems to be the common consensus around the web.

Seems like nearly everyone will start seeing this soon enough.
I have the same problem. Hope they will fix it soon.

Attachments

• 2778FF99-57D6-42A2-B4C7-8C52BFC34382.png
    2778FF99-57D6-42A2-B4C7-8C52BFC34382.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 120
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.