Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14: Smart App Banners Point Safari Users to Apple News Instead of Publisher Apps

Cosmosent

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
A Direct Relationship with the customer is key.

If Media sites lose that, they will absolutely abandon Apple News+ !

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
A Direct Relationship with the customer is key.

If Media sites lose that, they will absolutely abandon Apple News+ !
What sort of direct relationship are they expecting? Customers have shown on other platforms that they don't approve of subscriptions with ads, and serves that attempt it are often devalued (Hulu and Peacock). Personal data including reading habits are an additional form of payment and customers are becoming weary of offering that to faceless corporations.

And then, because editors by design of their job introduce bias to their publications the only way for readers to control bias is by supplementing an editorial staff that leans one way with another staff that leans the other. For some that means two liberals with different options, for others it means a liberal and a conservative, and for others they need two moderates.

Gone are the days where I respect the journalist for no good reason - we have to assume their story is trying to manipulate public opinion.

Comment

Vjosullivan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
It’s only for paying users who ALREADY pay the publisher via News+. This is so they can use their subscription on/from the web too. This has nothing to do with antitrust, just letting the user know that they can read the article with the News+ subscription they already have, instead of subscribing to another one for the web version.
There's a world of a difference between "letting the user know" and redirecting a link via another company's service.

Comment

ececlv

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I believe there are many users who find the News app to be biased and/or politically skewed. And unlike entertainment, one can’t really publish and/or consume news without being political; it’s just an inherent quality.

I haven’t used News(+) myself, so I can’t personally comment on how true I find the above to be.
The app itself is fine. I can easily turn off sources i dont like. Except in the special apple sections at the top (for you, top stories). Please apple, there are some sources I never want to read. Let me block them everywhere.

Reactions: fhopper
Comment

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
My biggest complaint about apple new plus is the huge terrible ads that show everywhere. You would think that when I pay a monthly fee, the reading experience would be better than on the web in safari with content blockers on, but nope, hot garbage.

Comment

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
It has the same bad mojo as a message saying to use Facebook Messenger or Facebook App when in a Browser; I will navigate my information sources my self thank you very much.

Comment

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
The app itself is fine. I can easily turn off sources i dont like. Except in the special apple sections at the top (for you, top stories). Please apple, there are some sources I never want to read. Let me block them everywhere.
I refuse to open the app anymore because of those sources that cannot be excluded. If I wanted to read lies I would go to CNN/MSNBC on my own.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: -DMN- and Ramchi
Comment

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
THIS IS ONLY FOR NEWS+ USERS, NOT REGULAR USERS OR USERS WHO HAVE SUBSCRIBED THROUGH THE PUBLISHER’S APP. This isn’t antitrust, for goodness sake. 🤦‍♂️

If true then this is a nothingburger. If you were going to read you were going to do it on the News+ app anyway, not pay for separate access to their site.

Comment

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
I'm curious... Who are your three or four honest news sources that you regularly visit and read?
Sure no prob: WSJ, Reuters, BBC, Ahram, Local TV and Radio sites.(The local paper was McClatchy so it is junk.)

Last edited:
Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
THIS IS ONLY FOR NEWS+ USERS, NOT REGULAR USERS OR USERS WHO HAVE SUBSCRIBED THROUGH THE PUBLISHER’S APP. This isn’t antitrust, for goodness sake. 🤦‍♂️

You're a bit wrong here.

This weblink from sharing also points users to AppleNews ... not the site external link (I don't have NEWS+). It's more annoying to share the news to a non-iPhone user or an iPhone user who's deleted their News app.

Comment

CthuluLemon

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2020
They already can't entice new publishers and have lost some. It's like Apple is trying to kill the service.

Comment

Flojomojo

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2006
Could be worse, could be Google Amp :rolleyes:
Actually it seems very similar to Google Amp's behavior. Unwanted, with no way to turn it off, unless you are using a different search engine. I like Apple News, but pretending it's the only game in town is obnoxious behavior by its designers.

Comment

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2017
Something similar I noticed in beta 6 was that smart article suggestions in Safari linked directly to Apple News rather than the publisher’s own app. Not sure how I feel about it.

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is how it should be. It fixes a lot of issues I had with Apple News as a News+ subscriber from day 1.

Browsing the news directly in the News app is only one of the ways in which we get news. If you found a link in Safari of that someone sent you on social media or scrolling through Twitter, the link would open in a web view. If that news site had a paywall, even if you had access to that publication with your AppleNews+ subscription, you couldn’t read it. You’d have to search for the story manually and search in News is still pretty terrible.

iOS 14 solves most of this. Links to news stories from sources available in AppleNews are now identified system wide and directed to the News app to read in one tap.

Reactions: thejoshuabradshaw
Comment

thejoshuabradshaw

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2018
Huntsville, Alabama
This is how it should be. It fixes a lot of issues I had with Apple News as a News+ subscriber from day 1.

Browsing the news directly in the News app is only one of the ways in which we get news. If you found a link in Safari of that someone sent you on social media or scrolling through Twitter, the link would open in a web view. If that news site had a paywall, even if you had access to that publication with your AppleNews+ subscription, you couldn’t read it. You’d have to search for the story manually and search in News is still pretty terrible.

iOS 14 solves most of this. Links to news stories from sources available in AppleNews are now identified system wide and directed to the News app to read in one tap.
Exactly. The more you use it, the more it curates to your tastes and most important things you don't like e.g. Fox Opinions.

• Disagree
Reactions: -DMN-
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.