Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14: Smart App Banners Point Safari Users to Apple News Instead of Publisher Apps

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
please stop this stupid "smart" redirecting...if I want to use the App I will use the app. At least give me the choice to launch the browse or not as the default. i click a link in Chrome suddenly I am in YouTube App... what is this...

ohmydays

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2020
I don't subscribe to Apple News+, but if I did I think I would throughly enjoy this feature. The integrated experience would make the product so much better!

That said, I do enjoy my subscriptions to the NYT and WSJ, and their apps are leagues beyond what Apple News can do.

If Apple could find a happy medium - open links in Apple News+ where I do not already have the publisher's app - that would be fantastic!

That is what they are planning to do.

ohmydays

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2020
please stop this stupid "smart" redirecting...if I want to use the App I will use the app. At least give me the choice to launch the browse or not as the default. i click a link in Chrome suddenly I am in YouTube App... what is this...

That’s YouTube’s fault. Each app has a custom URL that can be used to open the app. When a YouTube link is clicked, YouTube redirects you to their app for a smoother experience. It’s not Apple’s fault.

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
That’s YouTube’s fault. Each app has a custom URL that can be used to open the app. When a YouTube link is clicked, YouTube redirects you to their app for a smoother experience. It’s not Apple’s fault.

Apple should ban this method in the iOS settings or let us choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.