Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting early next year, iOS 14 will require apps to get opt-in permission from users to collect their random advertising identifier, which advertisers use to deliver personalized ads and track how effective their campaigns were.

ios-14-tracking-permission-prompt.jpg

Ahead of this change, The Wall Street Journal reports that advertising companies and publishers have filed a complaint against Apple with France's competition authority, arguing that the enhanced privacy measures would be anticompetitive.

According to the report, the complaint alleges that the wording of Apple's permission prompt will lead most users to decline tracking of their device's advertising identifier, which could result in lost revenue. In August, Facebook warned advertisers that the prompt could lead to a more than 50 percent drop in Audience Network publisher revenue.

In a statement, Apple reiterated its belief that "privacy is a fundamental right," adding that "a user's data belongs to them and they should get to decide whether to share their data and with whom." Apple said that its own data collection doesn't count as tracking because it doesn't share the data with other companies.

Apple already delayed the introduction of the prompt until early 2021 to provide developers with more time to make the necessary changes. In a statement in September, Apple said the prompt will be displayed on an app-by-app basis:
We believe technology should protect users' fundamental right to privacy, and that means giving users tools to understand which apps and websites may be sharing their data with other companies for advertising or advertising measurement purposes, as well as the tools to revoke permission for this tracking. When enabled, a system prompt will give users the ability to allow or reject that tracking on an app-by-app basis. We want to give developers the time they need to make the necessary changes, and as a result, the requirement to use this tracking permission will go into effect early next year.
In the meantime, users who do not want apps to be able to access their device's advertising identifier can go to Settings > Privacy > Tracking and toggle off Allow Apps to Request to Track.

Apple's developer website offers more information about the upcoming prompt.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: iOS 14's Upcoming Anti-Tracking Prompt Sparks Antitrust Complaint in France

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
"Advertising companies and publishers have filed a complaint against Apple with France's competition authority, arguing that the enhanced privacy measures would be anticompetitive"

Because our data can't be mined for profit unless we consent it is anticompetitive? Give me a break, Zuckerberg & friends.

Seriously, one of the best things about Apple is how much they value privacy. I thank them for doing this.

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Go Apple!!!
Unfortunately govmint will see that as Apple stopping all these tracking companies from making money, so even though Apple is not getting any ad revenue, stopping all others from getting it may seem monopolistic. Yikes... I hate tracking.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Because our data can't be mined for profit unless we consent it is anticompetitive? Give me a break, Zuckerberg & friends.

It's anticompetitive because it puts Apple in a privileged position compared to other apps and networks. Apple has access to your demographic info and knows what apps you use, and won't have to display these prompts (or respect them!) in its own apps.

That said, it's a weaker argument than with Google, because Apple itself isn't primarily an advertising network (except for App Store ads) and thus isn't directly competing with the ad networks it's crippling.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I really believe this feature will never be added to iOS 14. The first half of 2021 will come and go. When we get to WWDC 2021 I think, Apple will come up with something different to limit tracking more but not outright block it if someone says no.

I think if someone were to say NO to tracking iOS could generate a random IDFA for each app or each app launch instead of just outright returning nothing.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
And yet because of the EU we have to click on stupid cookie acceptance policies (and as a developer I have to implement them). Meanwhile advertisers don't even care about that as they mine our data from our devices directly. Get with the times, EU! Apple is correct here.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
This anti-tracking tracking feature alone is worth the cost of an iPhone 12 Pro to me. The fact that Apple is the company that brings us features like this is why I use iPhone. I complain about the missing power adaptor, but this feature is what more than makes up for it.

Governments should be going after the companies that don't have a viable business model without spying and tracking every aspect of their users lives. Any company that needs to "track you across multiple apps to deliver personal ads" to make money should not be allowed to exist.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I really believe this feature will never be added to iOS 14. The first half of 2021 will come and go. When we get to WWDC 2021 I think, Apple will come up with something different to limit tracking more but not outright block it if someone says no.

I hope so. Completely blocking tracking, such that ad networks can't get any info about users at all, will only kill the quality of ads (you'll just get junk ads rather than for products that might actually be relevant for you), and thus kill revenue for a lot of independent app developers.

But at the same time, users absolutely have a right to privacy and to not be individually tracked between apps and websites.

There must be a technical middle ground that respects both goals.

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
It's anticompetitive because it puts Apple in a privileged position compared to other apps and networks. Apple has access to your demographic info and knows what apps you use, and won't have to display these prompts (or respect them!) in its own apps.

That said, it's a weaker argument than with Google, because Apple itself isn't primarily an advertising network (except for App Store ads) and thus isn't directly competing with the ad networks it's crippling.
But Apple asks you on set up if it can harvest your data/send data reports to their servers. It is an opt-in process. Additionally, they never share user data off their own servers nor is it sold to the highest bidder.

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
So we're ignoring the actual monopoly here (Google) and claiming Apple's wording (which is true) is anticompetitive, despite Apple being a company that doesn't even track its users or serve many ads?
Apple said they track but don't share which they said is completely different.

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I hope so. Completely blocking tracking, such that ad networks can't get any info about users at all, will only kill the quality of ads (you'll just get junk ads rather than for products that might actually be relevant for you), and thus kill revenue for a lot of independent app developers.

But at the same time, users absolutely have a right to privacy and to not be individually tracked between apps and websites.

There must be a technical middle ground that respects both goals.
I don't want any ads. I'll use an ad-blocker, thank you very much. Companies can find other ways to make their money, I don't lose a minute of sleep over blocking ads.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
So we're ignoring the actual monopoly here (Google) and claiming Apple's wording (which is true) is anticompetitive, despite Apple being a company that doesn't even track its users or serve many ads?

I love the insanity here:
"enhanced privacy measures would be anticompetitive"

So if "anti murder laws are anticompetitive" then murder is okay?

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Bold prediction. If government hacks side with advertisers, expect Apple to just put a master switch in the settings--on or off for everyone, instead of case by case. Advertisers will get what they have coming, one way or another. Facebook is nervous because you KNOW that's the one EVERYONE is going to turn off first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.