Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The second beta of iOS 15.2 adds a toggle for Macro mode on the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max when Auto Macro is disabled in Settings, enabling users to manually turn off Macro mode right from the Camera app when it automatically kicks in.

General-iOS-15.2-Feature.jpg

The new feature, first spotted by Aaron Zollo, offers a flower icon on the bottom left of the screen when the camera is close enough to an object to trigger Macro mode. Users can then tap the flower icon to disable and re-enable Macro mode.

To get the option of the new toggle, users need to go to Settings, navigate to Camera, and turn off Auto Macro. Then, when close enough to an object, the toggle will appear automatically. There are also new Preserve Settings for Auto Macro.

By default, the iPhone 13 Pro automatically switches to Macro mode when close enough to an object, which has meant that Macro mode sometimes activates in unwanted circumstances. The new toggle is a significant improvement over the current implementation in iOS 15.1, where users have to go to the Settings app to turn Macro mode off completely if they want to temporarily disable it.

The second beta of iOS 15.2 also introduced a number of other improvements, such as Legacy Contacts, Find My lost item scanning, Communication Safety, and more. These improvements come in addition to the features of the first iOS 15.2 beta, which include App Privacy Report, tweaks to Emergency SOS, and a redesigned Notification Summary.

Article Link: iOS 15.2 Beta 2 Adds Macro Mode Toggle in Camera App on iPhone 13 Pro

Last edited:

newbmacuser2021

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
This is a very cool feature!

I remember when I was in college, I borrowed my Mom’s Sony Digital Camera. And I still have those photos :)

I must applaud Apple for their efforts on expanding and sharing Photography with the world.

WildstarBR2020

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2020
But it’s not perfect yet. When you approach to the subject, the camera DOES switch to the wider angle camera even with the auto macro disabled. The difference now is an macro icon appears to offer to exit the macro mode if desired. It would make more sense if the camera don’t switch lenses and the macro mode logo activates the macro mode if desired. ??‍♂️

Reactions: J.C

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I disagree, this is a rather useless feature.
With auto macro off you just switch to the UW camera and voila .. macro mode.

This is really for users that do not understand that macro is tied to the UW lens only.
Not all users are professional photographers, so I wouldn’t consider this a useless feature.

This feature will be useful for those who just like to take pictures for the fun of it or if something caught their eye where they just want to point and shoot.

DanteHicks79

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2019
Silicon Valley
The entire camera app needs a rethink.
Seriously. It's ridics that almost fifteen years after the iPhone was introduced, the stock camera app (which you can't change like browser/email app) lacks any decent pro controls for people who want them. Sure, you can kinda futz with exposure and focus, but there are literally dozens of third-party camera apps that allow you to fine-tune settings like ISO, shutter speed, etc.

As Apple has demonstrated, it's entirely possible for them to add expanded settings (NightMode exposure duration, and ooooh photographic styles), so the fact that they haven't given more control is infuriating.

Either add a UI option for controlling in-depth settings, or allow us to choose a third-party camera app as the default.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Would be nice to see apple do an actual useful update at some point.
Here is my personal list:

1. redesign the notification center. It's ridiculous.

2. give us an LED visual for notifications in addition to sound and vibration. Allow us the change the colors of the LED based on what the notification app is.
The fine folks who like things the way they are can just turn any or all of this off and be constantly hitting the screen on their phones to see if there are any messages when the phone is on mute, much like we all have to do all day long the way it current is.

3. give us an always-on screen for the clock. On the always-on screen we should also be able to choose if we want to see if we have any notifications (the amount and the app) or if we to just want see the clock.
Once again, the people who don't like it should be able to turn it off. No more Apple forcing us to do stuff.

4. add haptic feedback to the keyboard, and make it possible to customize different intensities to your heart's content.
It's beyond crazy that you have no feedback whatsoever if you're typing and the phone is on mute. Those who are concerned with battery or simply don't like this should be able to turn it off.

5. make it possible to adjust volume for independent apps and settings and not this general thing they're doing. Separate volume control for keyboard volume, music volume, ring volume, system volume.
I, for example, would like the keyboard clicks to be much louder than they are but without it affecting the volume on the entire phone or the ring and notifications volume. It's silly of Apple to force it to be like this.

6. add suggestions from the address book as you start a phone number.
Common now Apple, this has been available for the last 15 years on Android.

7. make it possible to customize the texting app in every conceivable way. Font size, bubble size shape color etc.

8. make it possible to schedule a text message to be sent at a certain time/date. This is a basic feature. Compose your message now and schedule it to be sent when the time is right. I used to use this feature all the time when I had to text people who are in different time zones when they have to get the text at a certain time in their time zone but it's way too late for me to stay up to send the text.

9. use an OS-wide clipboard and make cut and/or copy not expire until you, the user, cleans it.
You should be able to copy text now and paste it tomorrow if you want to.
And 9b make it possible to copy multiple copy entries ready to paste any one of them by long pressing, at least the last 10 cut/copies should be possible.

10. in Mail give us the option to NOT go to the next email when you are deleting an email but to go back to the inbox. Those who want to keep things the way it is should be able to turn this feature off.

11. make it possible to move the icons on the desktop anywhere you want to.

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

SnakeEater1993

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2020
I disagree, this is a rather useless feature.
With auto macro off you just switch to the UW camera and voila .. macro mode.

This is really for users that do not understand that macro is tied to the UW lens only.
Most smartphone users are clueless for many things especially for camera module hardware.

Reactions: Stevez67

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
On the one hand: yes, a button! Discoverable UI! Who knew! (See also: iPadOS 15 finally adding a visible UI for configuring multitasking.)

But, OTOH, the Camera app is becoming more and more… cluttered.

Reactions: jprmercado

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Will be nice to be able to activate / de-activate it, though the automation in when it is triggered has worked fine for me so far.
On the one hand: yes, a button! Discoverable UI! Who knew! (See also: iPadOS 15 finally adding a visible UI for configuring multitasking.)

But, OTOH, the Camera app is becoming more and more… cluttered.
Still far better than on Android.

iOS tends to activate modes a bit more automatically, where you need to slide over on Android to enact the same features.

superliu

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't understand. Why would anyone disable auto macro??!

I turned it off and when I put the lens too close to an option it can't focus, until I turn macro on. Why would anyone decline this feature and not want it automatically activate!?

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
this toggle is ONLY for the 1x lens, where it is 'digitally zooming' the 0.5X macro FOV and cropping/zooming in to 1X FOV.

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
I don't understand. Why would anyone disable auto macro??!

I turned it off and when I put the lens too close to an option it can't focus, until I turn macro on. Why would anyone decline this feature and not want it automatically activate!?
because it works if you use the 0.5X lens. The 1x lens cannot focus as close, and so it 'switches' the 0.5X and zooms in 2X to get the same FOV as 1X but without Optical magnification.

Kwoth

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
And now it would also be nice to use the 3x instead of the digital zoomed 1x when I decide that there’s enough light.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
This will make using macro so much more... Usable. As it stands, it's a bit more finicky thanI would prefer. At least a toggle will remove the 3 minutes wasted trying to find the exact right lens/angle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.