Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
The app privacy report is pointless as there's nothing you can actually do about it.

As an example, I've just seen on the report that the Apple Podcast app can access my Contacts (and has been) but there is nowhere in iOS 15.2 whereby I can deny this access...?!

So what's the point of the report if we can't actually make any changes?!?
?‍♂️

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Sort of? I keep mine on noise cancellation. In the control Center I switched to Transparency and the slider went back to noise cancellation but the ear buds stayed on transparency, according to the blue tooth settings.
That's one of the behaviors but it sounds like it hasn't been fixed. Thanks for the feedback.

bw44

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Looks like the security patches are not going to be for anyone staying in 14.8.1.
My 14.8.1 device is no longer offering iOS 15 as an available option (those of you on 14.8.1 know what I am talking about), but a big ugly red notification dot on the settings app now.

i'm still running 14.8.1 and it is still offering the update to 15.2. Could you specify what you were referring to? Thnx.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The app privacy report is pointless as there's nothing you can actually do about it.

As an example, I've just seen on the report that the Apple Podcast app can access my Contacts (and has been) but there is nowhere in iOS 15.2 whereby I can deny this access...?!

?‍♂️
There is one thing you can do…

1639604629768.png

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
i'm still running 14.8.1 and it is still offering the update to 15.2. Could you specify what you were referring to? Thnx.
Remember just a few weeks ago that iOS 15 is at the bottom of the software update screen kind of like optional where it reads "Also available"?
Like this?
proxy-image

bw44

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Remember just a few weeks ago that iOS 15 is at the bottom of the software update screen kind of like optional where it reads "Also available"?
Like this?
proxy-image

OK, thanks. I didn't get the implication that there would be no further security updates for 14.8.1. (Since I'm already on 14.8.1, I don't see option to upgrade to it. There will never be a 14.8.2.)

cyberguyiphone

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
Los Angeles

?‍♂️
I've noticed the same thing with Safari. Safari accesses my Contacts and Media Library (icon with Apple Music logo, not photos), and I have zero option to turn this off. Wondering if this is actually bad where I can build a site to scrape my own contacts from my iPhone.

• Wow
Reactions: Dino F

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
OK, thanks. I didn't get the implication that there would be no further security updates for 14.8.1. (Since I'm already on 14.8.1, I don't see option to upgrade to it. There will never be a 14.8.2.)
Here is the thing though. 15.2 has quite some security fixes as well.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
....thats not really a decent option though as I genuinely use this app - Apple should give us the options to deny the app access to whatever is shown on the report.
I know. Apologies, I was being facetious. Apple has been frustrating the crap out of me lately. Nothing just works anymore. Just a very small example, yesterday I received three separation alerts from my AirPods. I used to get them daily as I left home to go to work while they were in my pocket. Fine, whatever. Latest firmware was supposed to fix that, or so I thought. So what makes yesterday’s three notifications peculiar? Well, I got them while the AirPods were actually connected to my phone and in my ears ?‍♂️

bw44

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Here is the thing though. 15.2 has quite some security fixes as well.
Yeah, thanks. I decided to update for this reason. Not thrilled with a few of the minor changes, but it’s working fine on both iPhone and iPad.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Yeah, thanks. I decided to update for this reason. Not thrilled with a few of the minor changes, but it’s working fine on both iPhone and iPad.
It takes quite some time to get to know the focus mode instead of do not disturb.
I still have not figure out how to turn the driving mode on while on the move.
Such a pain.

chetzar

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
Color me surprised, CarPlay still doesn’t work for ****.
It’s actually worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.