Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A bug in iOS 15 is preventing some AirPods Pro owners from using Siri to control the Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency features, but it appears to be fixed in the iOS 15.1 beta.

airpods-pro-black-background.jpg

As outlined on Reddit, some users who ask Siri to turn off Active Noise Cancellation or activate Transparency Mode on AirPods Pro connected to an iPhone running iOS 15 receive a "Sorry, I can't do that" message from Siri.

MacRumors can confirm that Siri is unable to be used to activate Transparency Mode or Active Noise Cancellation on AirPods Pro connected to an iPhone running iOS 15, but the issue appears to be fixed in iOS 15.1.

According to one Reddit user, the feature is working in iOS 15.1, and we were also able to get Siri AirPods commands to properly work on an iPhone that's running the iOS 15.1 beta Apple released on Tuesday.

AirPods Pro owners running iOS 15 will need to use the AirPods Pro controls available in the Control Center to manage Transparency Mode and Active Noise Cancellation to get around the Siri bug, or they can update to iOS 15.1, which is available as a public beta.

There's no word yet on when iOS 15.1 will see a public release, but it will likely be several weeks because we've only received the first round of betas. The update also reintroduces the FaceTime SharePlay feature that was delayed from the initial iOS 15 release.

Article Link: iOS 15 Breaks Siri AirPods Pro Controls, Fix Coming in iOS 15.1

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
So if nobody caught this during beta testing there can’t be too many people that ever used this feature.
I jumped on beta 8 and reported it three times. Once on beta 8 and twice on RC.

I can’t believe people who jump on beta 1 couldn’t detect this. This shows me how beta testing is just a cool trend to show off to your friends rather than a tuning process.

Thehangmn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013

I can’t believe people who jump on beta 1 couldn’t detect this. This shows me how beta testing is just a cool trend to show off to your friends rather than a tuning process.
It's likely that only a minority of AirPods pro uses use this feature, and it was not prioritized

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Oh my. iOS 15 seems to be the gift that keeps on giving. I suppose they can’t test every eventuality but storage error messages & Siri not working with AirPods Pro……no one picked up on this before it was released?

msackey

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2020

Well.... I used to be a beta tester for Apple in the days when one had to be invited to join (not like now when anyone can sign up). Even back then, things I reported weren't always fixed in the public release version. Just because Apple didn't fix it doesn't mean it wasn't reported before.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
A weird issue that I’ve had with my AirPods and AirPods Pro and on both my M1 MacBook Air and 2018 iPad Pro is when using Notability, when I open Apple Music, it makes the sound like I’m in a tunnel. Very thin and tinny sounding. I have to quit out of both apps and that doesn’t always resolve. I think it started with iPadOS 15 but it also happens on my M1 Air which is on macOS 11.4.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I used this feature almost every time I used my AirPods Pro or Max in iOS 14.x - when your hands are full or on the keyboard it’s just so much easier to tell Siri to turn on Noise Cancellation or Turn on Transparency without having to feel for the physical controls. It stopped working in iOS 15. I hate when a feature I get used to using every day gets removed in a new software release without mentioning it in release notes.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
AirPod Pro have Siri? ? I legit never even tried that ? it just hasn’t occurred to me. I always press
This feature released with iOS 13 and allows you to control volume, switch tracks, control music etc using Siri on the AirPods Pro and 2nd Gen AirPods with H1 as well as Beats products with the H1. It is an awesome feature.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
It's likely that only a minority of AirPods pro uses use this feature, and it was not prioritized
I just don’t understand why it was a regression. It’s one thing to announce a “future” feature to be pulled at last minute but to break existing functionality without mentioning it is kind of a bummer to users who rely on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Maconplasma

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
AirPod Pro have Siri? ? I legit never even tried that ? it just hasn’t occurred to me. I always press

It’s actually quite useful once found.
I use it all the time when jogging and especially in winter where taking out the phone or expose hands/gloves/device to the freezing Canadian temperatures isn’t ideal.

A simple “hey Siri” is met with a lowering of volume of whatever was playing or an “aha?” (That’s the cue that it triggered) and then say the input: “increase volume to 100%” or “pause workout” or “go to next song”.

They broke this and it went through… I guess the checklist of features to test is just becoming unmanageable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.