Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 on September 20, Apple introduced millions of users to several of its new tentpole features for iPhone and iPad, such as Focus Mode, Notification Summary, a redesigned Safari, and more.

But beyond the headline features, Apple has also made numerous tweaks and changes to its mobile operating systems that aim to make the time you spend using your iPhone or iPad more efficient, more functional, and more enjoyable.

To that end, we've pulled out 50 additions and improvements to iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, some of which may have gone under your radar. Keep reading to refresh your memory or perhaps learn something new.

1. Copy Links From a Tab Group

If you have several websites in a Safari Tabs Group that you want to share with someone, over email or Messages, for example, you can copy all the URL links to the clipboard in the following way.

safari-copy-links.jpg

Open the Tabs Group, tap group's name at the bottom of the screen, then tap Edit in the top-left of the Tab Groups card menu. Tap the circled ellipsis next to the Tabs Group in question, then select Copy Links.

2. Password Lock a PDF Document

Apple now lets you lock PDF documents with a password in iOS 15. The only caveat is that the PDF has to be on your iPhone – for whatever reason, you can't lock documents in iCloud.

lock-pdf.jpg

Open the Files app, navigate to On My iPhone, and select the PDF document to open it. Next, tap the Actions button in the bottom-left corner of the screen, scroll down below the sharing options, then tap Lock PDF. You'll be asked to enter and verify the password of your choosing.

3. Customize Your Safari Start Page

Safari's redesigned Start Page in iOS 15 is a one-stop shop for all of your Bookmarks, Favorites, Frequently Visited sites, Siri Suggestions, iCloud Tabs, Reading List, and Privacy Report. also features several customizable options, such as the ability to choose your own Start Page wallpaper. You can even optionally sync your Start Page appearance on all your devices via iCloud.

ios-customize-safari-start-page1.jpg

In the Tabs view, tap the + icon in the bottom left corner to open a new tab, then scroll to the bottom of the Start Page and tap the Edit button. Use the switches to control what you want to appear on your Start Page. Options include: Favorites, Frequently Visited, Shared with You, Privacy Report, Siri Suggestions, Reading List, and iCloud Tabs.

To sync your Start Page settings with other devices linked to the same Apple ID, turn on the switch next to Use Start Page on All Devices. You can also turn on the Background image option and choose one of the existing iOS wallpapers, or select your own from your photos by tapping the big + button.
Click here to read more...

Article Link: iOS 15 Features, Tips, and Tricks You Probably Don't Know

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
One note: for those who are using a pi-hole to do ad interception the iCloud+ IP Relay will not work. It detects the p-hole and indicates it is incompatible. If you set your DNS to AdGuard's or similar you can get some ad removal with the IP Relay option.

You can also turn off IP relay on a per-wifi network basis, which may be a better solution if you are more concerned about pi-hole working than you are about your ISP looking at your browsing.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
You can also turn off IP relay on a per-wifi network basis, which may be a better solution if you are more concerned about pi-hole working than you are about your ISP looking at your browsing.
Installing unbound on the pi-hole is the best way to keep the ISP blocked off I think. But that is a good point, to enable IP relay where needed/desired.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
One note: for those who are using a pi-hole to do ad interception the iCloud+ IP Relay will not work. It detects the p-hole and indicates it is incompatible. If you set your DNS to AdGuard's or similar you can get some ad removal with the IP Relay option.
It interferes with more "things", I (We here) use an App which secures/getting acces to certain websites, the app is called DigiD, if Private relay is on the App refuses to work correctly, it launches but the security bit does not work, so preventing acces to those sites.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Turning night mode on and off from the night mode icon isn't working on my 13 Pro. When I tap the yellow icon at the top of the camera screen, all it does it bring up the night mode slider to change the exposure time. What am I missing?

multicore

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2009
I thought I read somewhere that in iOS 15 you would be able to point your camera at an object, for example a flower, and Siri would identify it. Anyone?

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Reactions: MacNeb

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I always appreciate these videos. I don't follow all the new stuff to the degree I once used to and these are quick and to the point. I do wish iPad OS was either at the front or back just because I don't use an iPad, so those features are not relevant to me. But that's being nitpicky.

Reactions: newyorksole

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Also selecting multiple images at once, eg from Google search and dragging them into another app like photos blew my mind when I saw it on TikTok. Totally not intuitive but great once discovered

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I thought I read somewhere that in iOS 15 you would be able to point your camera at an object, for example a flower, and Siri would identify it. Anyone?
Yep and it works. Well, if what I photographed here is actually a Zinnia it works.
06950538-0A6B-49C3-8954-E6C1F6D51FE6.jpeg

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
Does anyone know if there is a way to disable shelf view, especially with Safari? The problem is that it can bring the iPad to its knees, as it attempts to load the content of every single minimized or forgotten about web page that exists in some old tab.

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
"

30. Get Siri to Announce Notifications"​

This is not available on my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Any input is appreciated.

First screenshot is a screenshot from the video in this article.

Second screenshot is a screenshot from my iPhone.

You'll notice that "Announce Notifications" is not present on my Siri & Search Settings.

EDIT: Disregard my post. I'm not seeing this option because I don't have AirPods or Beats:

It would have been nice if the guy in the video had mentioned this, don't you think, MacRumors?

1545F16A-5FB0-47E6-8D16-72EA0B193F7F.png F679BCA6-47FB-45DC-8CE5-54CC33A70CAA.jpeg

Last edited:

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Definitely grateful for guides like this posted by MR—it’s just strange to live in a time when 50 rather useful features are “hidden” in the OS. Apple’s definitely moving out of the age where they make the OS fully and instantly usable for truly anyone. Can’t have it both ways as it ages and evolves, I guess…plenty of things on macOS that I’ve never learned much about (Automator immediately comes to mind).

iPadOS 15 is a mess though. Full stop.

Good User Name

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
"

You'll notice that "Announce Notifications" is not present on my Siri & Search Settings.
"

Any input is appreciated.

First screenshot is a screenshot from the video in this article.

Second screenshot is a screenshot from my iPhone.

View attachment 1858773 View attachment 1858772
Are you on 15.01? I wonder if this is per country thing?

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Last edited:

Good User Name

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
This is why I'm not seeing that option.

I don't have AirPods or Beats.

It would have been nice if the guy in the video had mentioned this.

I don’t have AirPods or Beats either but I have that. Maybe it’s just an any Bluetooth headphones/audio output thing?

I don’t even see how they’re related.

Reactions: Rafagon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.