MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With iOS 15, Apple is introducing more granular control over the people and places that show up in your Photos Memories, letting you fine tune just who makes random appearances in the Photos app and the Photos widget.

photos-app-remove-from-featured.jpg
In iOS 14, the option on the right was available, but in iOS 15, the person-specific option is new​

You've already been able to select "Suggest Fewer Memories Like This" when viewing a memory in the "For You" section of Photos or remove a photo from photo suggestions entirely, but now you can choose to feature a specific person less often.

When viewing the For You section of the Photos app, you can long press on an image with a person and select the "Feature This Person Less," option to prevent that person from popping up as often. The Remove From Featured Photos option prevents a specific photo from reappearing.

These new controls for better managing what shows up as a featured image will come in handy when an unpleasant memory pops up, perhaps one featuring an ex-partner or a place that has a negative association.

Over the years, people have complained about the Memories feature in the Photos app and some of the people that it opts to feature.

The prior "Suggest Fewer Memories Like This" option that was available in iOS 14 for memory slideshows has been renamed "Feature Less," and you can select specific people, dates, and places to feature less often in Memories.

feature-place-day-less-photos.jpg
In iOS 14, you could select "Suggest Fewer Memories Like This," but in iOS 15 you can be more specific, choosing people, dates, and places to feature less.​

It's also worth noting that in a memory slideshow that Apple suggests, you can also now tap on the grid button on toolbar to enter into a view that shows you all of the photos at once. Just long press on it to get a "Hide from Memory" option that makes it disappear.

These new features are available in the Photos app in the current iOS 15 beta. iOS 15 will be in beta testing for several months, with a launch to come in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 15 Finally Lets You Block Your Exes From Ruining Your Photo Memories

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Why should I delete the photos? I’ve got some great pics of holidays with my ex wife but I find it intrusive that Apple pick some of these on occasion for the memories feature. This change is years late but at least it is here now.

Comment

7zqco

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2021
Or you could, I don't know, delete the photos?

Some of us have lost family members to COVID and don't want to be reminded at this very moment of that fact, but acknowledge that this feeling will not last forever. Did you consider that before firing off your response? Should I delete the photos of dead father so I don't get reminded of that fact randomly in the middle of day?

Think harder.

Comment

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Or you could, I don't know, delete the photos?
My exes would probably be very upset if I did delete the photos. I already chosen not to be their friends (or even be kind to them), don’t want to be a complete jerk and not even keep the memories they apparently enjoyed.

EDIT: Also I don’t think this feature is just intended for harshly ended relationships

Last edited:
Comment

grantew1

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Midwest
Some of us have lost family members to COVID and don't want to be reminded at this very moment of that fact, but acknowledge that this feeling will not last forever. Did you consider that before firing off your response? Should I delete the photos of dead father so I don't get reminded of that fact randomly in the middle of day?

Think harder.
The title of the article says "exes", not fathers who passed away.

G

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It sure why this would be limited to, or even intended for, photos of exes. Could also apply to photos of people you’ve lost touch with (but didn’t “break up” with) or maybe just older photos you don’t need to see on a regular basis. there are plenty of photos I don’t want to delete but also don’t need in a regular rotation.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Strange feature, but I can see why this would be applicable to certain peoples lives. Fortunately for me, I’ve got thee perfect wife.

Reactions: angsamangmukha
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.