Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany

With iOS 15, Apple is introducing more granular control over the people and places that show up in your Photos Memories, letting you fine tune just who makes random appearances in the Photos app and the Photos widget.

photos-app-remove-from-featured.jpg

In iOS 14, the option on the right was available, but in iOS 15, the person-specific option is new

You've already been able to select "Suggest Fewer Memories Like This" when viewing a memory in the "For You" section of Photos or remove a photo from photo suggestions entirely, but now you can choose to feature a specific person less often.

When viewing the For You section of the Photos app, you can long press on an image with a person and select the "Feature This Person Less," option to prevent that person from popping up as often. The Remove From Featured Photos option prevents a specific photo from reappearing.

These new controls for better managing what shows up as a featured image will come in handy when an unpleasant memory pops up, perhaps one featuring an ex-partner or a place that has a negative association.

Over the years, people have complained about the Memories feature in the Photos app and some of the people that it opts to feature.

The prior "Suggest Fewer Memories Like This" option that was available in iOS 14 for memory slideshows has been renamed "Feature Less," and you can select specific people, dates, and places to feature less often in Memories.

feature-place-day-less-photos.jpg

In iOS 14, you could select "Suggest Fewer Memories Like This," but in iOS 15 you can be more specific, choosing people, dates, and places to feature less.

It's also worth noting that in a memory slideshow that Apple suggests, you can also now tap on the grid button on toolbar to enter into a view that shows you all of the photos at once. Just long press on it to get a "Hide from Memory" option that makes it disappear.

These new features are available in the Photos app in the current iOS 15 beta. iOS 15 will be in beta testing for several months, with a launch to come in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 15 Finally Lets You Block Your Exes From Ruining Your Photo Memories
Remove from Featured Photos is already in iOS 14. I use that functionality daily to clean up my featured photos section.

Madhava

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2017
? The discussions in these kind of threads is the main reason for me to come back to macrumors again and again.

On topic, I was lucky that when I had to part ways with my ex, I did not yet have a smart phone.

Reactions: Weaselboy

audiophilosophy

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New Orleans
Should have been like this from the beginning of when they introduced memories notifications. My mom has some photos on her phone of documentation of something that is unpleasant and she does not want to have to be reminded of, so this will be useful, but really, why wasn’t it like this all along? It’s like apple introduced things to us that weren’t properly planned/though out, and then when they finally make it the way it should have been all along, the customers all celebrate. Weird business model, but I guess that works when you’re near monopoly status.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Hey Siri get rid of my exes.

How should I get rid of them sir?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What's to think about? The feature is simple: you can decide to prevent stuff from showing up in the Memories. Period.
The reasons why are up to you.
I’m talking about iMessage & calls. Apple added a welcome feature for photos but forgot iMessage which if the send you a photo memory you’re not wanting to reminisce over gets auto saved into your photo reel which bingo you’re back down washout memory lane and manually doing the steps in this article all over again.

forest for the trees friend.

Raineer

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Or you could, I don't know, delete the photos?
It doesn't have to be exes. It could be the memory of someone's death. Or pictures of 9-11. Or a photograph from when your house was hit by lightning, or robbed.

Not to get all psychoanalytical, but if you don't see a difference between "I don't want to be reminded of negative things" and "I'll just wash away all the negative things that ever happened", you're not really getting the point of all this.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
It doesn't have to be exes. It could be the memory of someone's death. Or pictures of 9-11. Or a photograph from when your house was hit by lightning, or robbed.

Not to get all psychoanalytical, but if you don't see a difference between "I don't want to be reminded of negative things" and "I'll just wash away all the negative things that ever happened", you're not really getting the point of all this.
And he explicitly talking about exes: you can, in fact, forget about them and delete.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Comic Book Store, Springfield
I love the Memories feature. I often create them after a trip or event. I don’t like Apple’s suggested Memories. Most look like something you’d play at someone’s funeral. Just let us turn off suggested Memories completely. I’ll make my own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.