Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An issue preventing the GPS from working properly on the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max for many users on the first iOS 16.1 beta has been fixed in the second beta. Updating to the latest beta will restore location accuracy on the device.

iPhone-14-Pro-Dynamic-Island-Maps.jpg

Like the Apple Watch Ultra, both iPhone 14 Pro models feature dual-frequency GPS support. This means the iPhones can receive signals from GPS satellites operating on both the legacy L1 frequency and the higher-power L5 frequency, which can better travel through obstacles like buildings and trees. A combination of the two signals should lead to improved location accuracy in mapping apps and other apps that rely on location.

Apple says iOS 16.1 will be released later this year. The update will enable Live Activities support in third-party apps, introduce a new Clean Energy Charging feature in the United States, add support for Matter accessories in the Home app, make Apple Fitness+ available to iPhone users without an Apple Watch, and more.

Article Link: iOS 16.1 Beta 2 Fixes GPS Issue on iPhone 14 Pro Models

macmac30

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2015
Thank God! The last time this happened was with a Hertz Never/always Lost in 2014 (remember those?). That thing led me to a scary neighborhood in New Jersey while on a business trip…also on a business trip this week and it took some skillz to find my destination yesterday when I landed! LOL!

SkyRom

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2018
Anecdotal: I have a new iPhone 14 Pro (not a beta user) and drove 700 miles today through various swamps, forests, farms, and small rural towns all over the southeast (Verizon customer, btw) and used GPS/Waze/Apple Maps/MapRight the entire time. Zero GPS issues. Ok, one issue. I got a message from CarPlay in Notifications that said "iPhone will continue charging once it reaches a safe temperature" so I think it overheated and took me down to 65% battery at one point during the hottest part of the drive. To be fair though, I was also running YouTube/Music most of the trip with the phone resting in a Case-Mate wallet on the dash...

P.S. The signal/5G/LTE reception on this phone is light years better than my 13 mini; I never lost signal all day which was incredibly impressive (to me) for a work trip.

P.S.S. I took hundreds of photos today with the iPhone and never experienced a single camera issue, except on my DJI Drone when the gimbal overheated 🙈

Mazel Tov

Mediakip

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Hope this fixed my issue with Homekit, the geo fence don’t detect me coming home and activating the lights and security. But that’s on iPhone 12 Pro.

chucker23n1

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2014
Hopefully 16.1 doesn't take too long to arrive with all the issues it is fixing for the iPhone 14.

This particular issue was only in the 16.1 beta.

As for the other ones, I imagine we’ll see a 16.0.2 soon. 16.1 is probably going to arrive in sync with iPadOS 16.1 and macOS 13.0, in October.

Reactions: _Spinn_

Juraj22

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
Would be interesting to know how accurate is dual frequency GPS. Can someone post that data? iPhone11 had best accuracy 6 meters.

Rychiar

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Hope this fixed my issue with Homekit, the geo fence don’t detect me coming home and activating the lights and security. But that’s on iPhone 12 Pro.
Same, though it didn’t work or half work a couple days on my 13 pro max but last night nothing . It had been working so perfect and fast in ios15

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.