Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
nahh that won't happen due to legal reasons in many countries...
Then why can the companies record my call when I phone them? Apple itself does that. On my last call to their support number they told me they were recording my phone call. Honestly I think it’s fair for me to be able to record them as well.

Reactions: xpxp2002

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This will never be implemented for privacy reasons.
That's a lousy reason to not implement it. I should be allowed to record a call if I want to and face any consequences of that recording myself.

It feels so stupid to have to use another device and speakerphone to record a call for legal reasons, when there is no technical reason the iPhone couldn't do this directly.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
That voice isolation feature is going to be very useful. I hope this is available to all iPhone models, including my iPhone 8, and not just the latest ones.

Maybe this was the reason they removed the noise cancellation feature from the iPhone 13 and 14… or this is a different feature?

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Wow! such a useful feature. This should have been released a long time ago. We also need Cellular Phone Call Recording Feature.

this is tremendously unlikely to happen.

*unless* they were to set this to only work if the devices in a call were all iphones, thus they could control that if one user initiates a recording request, all users can opt in or decline. otherwise, the existence of such a feature would cause legal issues in a lot of places.

companies have to tell you a call may be recorded, and you can decline, but it means the call stops immediately.

wiretapping is the law you're looking for.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
This was a feature previous to the iPhone 13. There were even articles about how the noise cancelation option disappearing for the newest phones.

Voice isolation is a different technology, a much better one. Of course, this doesn't justify them removing noise cancellation for phone calls so long before they add voice isolation.

It seems this is not very well understood, so it was hard to find an explanation, but I did find one. I find that outside of Apple products, software companies also refer to "voice isolation" and "noise cancellation" as two different things.

So what is voice isolation and how does it work?​

Voice isolation technology utilises AI to remove all ambient/background noise by recognising the ‘noise’ in an environment and prioritising the primary voices in a conversation. Voice isolation software can even differentiate between the core person talking and babble in the background. It can also be applied to both real-time (VOIP calls, online meetings) and pre-recorded audio (such as podcasts or webinars), enhancing the quality of any conversation taking place in a noisy environment.

What is the difference between Voice Isolation and Noise Cancellation?​

You might think that you’ve experienced this before with a pair of headphones you’ve used, but noise cancellation and voice isolation are actually different things.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
About GD time. Trying to have a quick conversation outside while walking on anything other than pavement or near a roadway is next to impossible without this feature. No idea why it took Apple this long to bring the feature to cellular calling but better late than never I guess.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Then why can the companies record my call when I phone them? Apple itself does that. On my last call to their support number they told me they were recording my phone call. Honestly I think it’s fair for me to be able to record them as well.
In CA you can record who you’re speaking to if and only if you notify them at the very start of your call.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida

The difference is they inform the person “this call may be recorded or monitored for quality customer service” kind of thing.

If you inform people then it may be okay depending on the state/country. Many are single party consent.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I feel like something like that should have come out like 10 years ago. It probably isn't even a basic usage anymore, but when we lived in simpler times, making phone calls on the phone seemed really important. You did buy a "phone" afterall.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
This was a feature previous to the iPhone 13. There were even articles about how the noise cancelation option disappearing for the newest phones.

I remember submitting this story to MacRumors but they've never acknowledged it here.

Though I think it's actually a different feature. Voice isolation in FaceTime requires iPhone XS/XR and later (unsure if it'll be the same for phone calls.) Noise cancellation existed before the XS.

pinkkie

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2022

So what is voice isolation and how does it work?

Voice isolation technology utilises AI to remove all ambient/background noise by recognising the ‘noise’ in an environment and prioritising the primary voices in a conversation. Voice isolation software can even differentiate between the core person talking and babble in the background. It can also be applied to both real-time (VOIP calls, online meetings) and pre-recorded audio (such as podcasts or webinars), enhancing the quality of any conversation taking place in a noisy environment.

What is the difference between Voice Isolation and Noise Cancellation?

You might think that you’ve experienced this before with a pair of headphones you’ve used, but noise cancellation and voice isolation are actually different things.
wow thanks for explaining nothing.. they are both the same thing but one of them recognizes your voice and lets it pass through

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Thank you MacRumors for answering the question in my post with a whole article. No sarcasm. This confirms what I suspected but was not sure of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.