Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will likely release iOS 16.5 to the public next week, based on a protected Twitter account that has shared build numbers for several iOS updates up to a week before they were released. In a tweet today, the account said the upcoming iOS 16.5 Release Candidate for developers will have a build number of 20F65.

iOS-16.5-Feature.jpg

iOS 16.5 has been in beta testing since late March and is shaping up to be a minor software update ahead of Apple announcing iOS 17 at WWDC in June. So far, only two notable features and changes have been discovered for the iPhone, including a Sports tab in the Apple News app and the ability to start a screen recording with Siri.

Sports Tab in Apple News

apple-news-sports-tab.jpg

Apple has added a Sports tab to the News app on iOS 16.5, giving you easy access to news, scores, and schedules for your favorite teams and leagues. This information was previously available in the Today tab, but it is now featured more prominently as Apple continues to push deeper into sports content across its services.

Screen Recordings via Siri

hey-siri-banner-apple.jpg

A small but convenient feature added with iOS 16.5 is the ability to ask Siri to start a screen recording. You can say "Hey Siri, start a screen recording" to record a video of your iPhone's screen, and ask Siri to stop the recording when desired. You can still start a screen recording via Control Center after enabling the feature in Settings → Control Center.

Article Link: iOS 16.5 Likely to Be Released Next Week With These Small Changes

Last edited:

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Asking Siri to start a screen recording is a pretty sweet feature. Not too long ago I looked into the possibility of having that action tied to a Shortcut and the general consensus was that apple would never let that happen because it’s a security concern? Not sure I understood that logic and apparently apple does not either.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
For now, I'll stay with iOS 16.2 which is what my iPhone 14 Pro Max came with...

Is it now a good time to update my iPad 9 currently on iPadOS 15.6 RC to iPadOS 16.5?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I'm looking forward more towards the Stability than the Changes, this late in the release cycle.
So true. I don't think I'll hold off as long as 17.5 but definitely won't be upgrading to 17 until we're a few updates in. Maybe 17.2-17.3. If 17 is as bad as 16 then 17.3 might be a bit too much. I reckon 17.2 should be fine. That was the 7th update for iOS 16. 16.0/16.1 were the ones that seemed to get 2-3 updates. 16.3/16.4 have only had 1 update each.

• Haha
Reactions: crobcary

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
The biggest surprise to me is that Siri didn't already come with screen recording support. I sure wasn't expecting Apple to actually make Siri competitive with all these other chatbots, but I really thought it could do screen recording already. 😅

(I guess I could just open up control center and press the screen recording button, but then what's the point of Siri if I do? :p)

Reactions: dk001

Hank001

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
Assuming this will coincide with a release of macOS 13.4, which will be significant for web developers because it will add Mac-based Safari to the list of browsers supporting native CSS nesting. (iOS/iPadOS Safari is already there, I think, based on https://caniuse.com/css-nesting.) Among the Big Three, that will leave only Firefox still not compliant (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1648037).

And on the other side of the spectrum, I would love to be able to stream TV broadcasts in Safari. Alas, no Silverlight (I think that’s what’s needed)

elgipsy

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2023
More TVOS related, but I hope 16.5 fixes this weird glitch I have with the 2022 Apple TV 128 GB where when connected to 2018 HomePods in Home Theatre mode Dolby Atmos works with Disney+, Apple Music but not Apple TV+. However if I use the TV speakers which are Dolby Atmos capable as output, everything plays in Dolby Atmos including AppleTV+...

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
I am still wondering why, if you can use the keyword to search your photos manually, Apple took away Siri‘s ability to do it. They ought to bring it back. They’ve already done all the grunt work on that feature, and it would certainly look better if they let Siri do all that it is capable of doing.
On the other hand, did Apple take away Siri’s ability to speak screen? Lately whenever I ask it to do that it says there’s nothing there or that it is speaking at 70% which of course is not what I asked it. So when I say, read screen, it says there’s nothing to read. I’m sure all the handicapped people whom depended on that feature wish it would come back, or maybe it’s just a bug? Has anyone else noticed this?

marvin_h

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
Was hoping for security updates, like a separate screen unlock code versus the master passcode for all the stuff on the iPhone. Maybe that comes in iOS 17.....

Reactions: centauratlas

Hank001

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
I am still wondering why, if you can use the keyword to search your photos manually, Apple took away Siri‘s ability to do it. They ought to bring it back. They’ve already done all the grunt work on that feature, and it would certainly look better if they let Siri do all that it is capable of doing.
On the other hand, did Apple take away Siri’s ability to speak screen? Lately whenever I ask it to do that it says there’s nothing there or that it is speaking at 70% which of course is not what I asked it. So when I say, read screen, it says there’s nothing to read. I’m sure all the handicapped people whom depended on that feature wish it would come back, or maybe it’s just a bug? Has anyone else noticed this?

Works fine on my friends iPhone who is blind...3rd gen SE, latest iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.