Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
A new UI refresh could be exciting but I doubt it will happen. Apple is just now getting iOS to visual design parity with MacOS. I don’t think we’ll see a huge leap like we did with ios7 for a while. Not until there’s a functional need for it (new hardware or something).

I would love to see more Lock Screen customization - always on could be cool, but like others have said maybe customizing the quick launch buttons where camera and flashlight currently are. If switch to mail for example, could show the badge for unread emails with it. Something more than just an app shortcut.

A custom grid on the home screen could be nice. Allowing to place icons anywhere so I don’t have to use Widgetsmith to add blank spaces around my apps.

I would like to be able to set a custom exposure time in the camera app. Right now it seems to range from 1s-30s depending on the darkness of the scene. I do some star photography and it’s weird that sometimes the slider will only let me do a 5 second manual exposure time if that’s what the camera thinks is necessary. Wiggling the phone around a bit will occasionally bump up the timer and let me increase it.

Devnul0

macrumors regular
May 28, 2018
Greater Boston
2. after Face-ID recognizes you, go directly into the phone home screen. You shouldn't have to swipe up after the phone recognizes you. Or at least make it possible to turn this off and on.

I'd be okay with this as an option, but I think it's a point of privacy to not go directly to the home screen, especially since by default when you set up a new phone you get things like "Wake on raise" and "Tap to wake". It would be too easy to find your phone unlocked and at the home screen just because you took it out of your pocket and happened to have it at an angle that could see your face. Another example is if you're at a restaurant with it on the table and someone jostles the table. When an "accidental/incidental" unlock occurs, the screen will time out after not very long (5-10s?) and relock whereas your home screen will stay unlocked for as long as you've set it to.

lddhtx

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
iOS (and iPadOS)
- Let us put app icons and widgets anywhere on the home screen
- Allow us to interact with widgets on the home screen
- Home Screen folders fill the screen when opened and scroll vertically (unlimited apps in a folder)
- Allow addresses to be opened in Google maps via an address share sheet

iPadOS
- Pro apps (ie all first/third party Mac apps running apple silicon)
- quick note like apps for all iOS/iPadOS apps
- new option in triple dot in multitasking menu for closing the current window
- terminal
- safari developer tools
- true multitasking
- let the Home Screen act like a desktop (I want to be able to drag files onto the Home Screen)
- External display support (extend display)
- weather app, and missing iOS apps on iPad

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Since this is a “speculation” thread, this is my prediction based on historical precedent:

First release is going to be buggy as hell. By the following July, most of the gross mistakes will be fixed. Then when iOS 17 comes out in the Fall - it’ll happen all over again.
For the most part, new releases of iOS are more aptly described as malware

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Since this is a “speculation” thread, this is my prediction based on historical precedent:

First release is going to be buggy as hell. By the following July, most of the gross mistakes will be fixed. Then when iOS 17 comes out in the Fall - it’ll happen all over again.
For the most part, new releases of iOS are more aptly described as malware
Wait you think a first beta will be buggy ?

GregJohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2015
Saskatoon, SK
Hi-res audio
8K video recording@120fps
Less CPU and RAM usage
This would require a new iPhone… not iOS 16 🤣

I agree with everything in this thread…
would especially like:
Always on display, dynamic wallpapers, live widgets, app audio not switching automatically, battery %, make use of the m1 and 16gb of ram on the iPad, surprises :)

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
iOS 16 will probably be a very minor evolution, especially since they already are releasing major features throughout the year whenever it’s ready.

I just really wish the flash light and camera buttons could be removed all together.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Does it really hurt to include wallpapers of past iOS versions with the new release? Back in iOS 10, the default wallpaper of iOS 8 is still included... Now in iOS 15, only the iOS 14 wallpapers are available...

If they finally make iOS 15.x as stable as previous releases, I guess I'll be okay with them dropping/removing iPhone SE 2016/6s series from iOS 16 and maybe they should also remove iPod touch 7 but if it is still buggy then allow iOS 16 to be the last update for those devices...

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I have a list of feature requests some 200+ entries long, but right now, I’m hoping for a new iOS 12. Few new features but huge and necessary improvements in quality and performance. That’s all I’m hoping for this year. Same goes for macOS.
The last year has no good new features they will always have bugs and 3 months of beta testing with the final still being buggy I would rather radical change ui change and main new features

Reactions: JesusSaves

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Does it really hurt to include wallpapers of past iOS versions with the new release? Back in iOS 10, the default wallpaper of iOS 8 is still included... Now in iOS 15, only the iOS 14 wallpapers are available...
Quite sad to think about. It’d be amazing if Apple could include all the wallpapers dating back to the original iPhone in upgraded, device-appropriate resolutions and perhaps some even with their own respective dark mode versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.