Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
What does “boring” mean to you? Do you believe a good OS UI should not be “boring”? What would have to change?

Give us an example of a UI that you feel is not “boring” so we have some context.
I think they finally got the flat UI correctly by adding some depth back. Comparing iOS 15 to iOS 7 shows a lot of improvements.

The icons on the Home Screen though are laughable. I can't believe they made it to the public in iOS 7 and I believe it even less that they kept them for 8 years.

Reactions: sorgo †

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
I would be highly surprised. *Pleasantly* surprised, but highly surprised!
I think at a certain point they'll be nearly forced to, as SMS has stopped evolving and the world wants something better over that protocol.

But I also think they're working on their own privacy-preserving angle, and would never buy-into using Google's Jibe Cloud RCS.

Although maybe they figure "you either use iMessage, or WhatsApp?, or Telegram?, so people have already found solutions to SMS being crap, and we don't have to do RCS"

Reactions: LFC2020

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Let me just put it this way:
There are enough visual/functional overlap between macOS and iOS, is it the time for apple to keep going so that iOS and macOS share same parity of customisation without removing features? (They remove features here and there)

How about a better window management system on iPad?

How about the ability to keep arbitrary app opening in the background indefinitely, subject to background refresh setting?

How about designing dock handoff so iOS works the same way as macOS?

How about allowing users to delete a home page without removing every single freaking icon?

How about admitting iPadOS is hamstring the M1 processor, even though M1 on Mac isn’t THAT amazing? (Yes, mine runs at 50% load 24*7. Far from what apple would claim)

The list can go on and on.

Reactions: JesusSaves

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
What does “boring” mean to you? Do you believe a good OS UI should not be “boring”? What would have to change?

Give us an example of a UI that you feel is not “boring” so we have some context.

I think what he means is looking at the same icons for years gets a bit boring and feels tiered. Small changes, could be made to the icons yearly to freshen up the feel and re-engage your eye like a lot of websites, magazines blah blah do for there audiences.

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
I think we saw shades of this with the Neumorphism ui widgets in one of the WWDC “posters” a while back:
https://www.justinmind.com/blog/neumorphism-ui/

Personally I’m also hoping for a bit of a change - something between skeuomorphism and flat UIs would be nice.

I ABSOLUTELY love how clever this design is. It’s so simple but has a huge impact on look and feel. Even if they brought a touch of it to the icons so not to freak to many people out, would a little fresh step in the right direction. For me anyway.

The feeling of something flat but your interacting and changing something that looks 3D is exciting stuff.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I think what he means is looking at the same icons for years gets a bit boring and feels tiered. Small changes, could be made to the icons yearly to freshen up the feel and re-engage your eye like a lot of websites, magazines blah blah do for there audiences.

Absolutely!!! No one eats the same kebab every night, gotta mix it up.

Reactions: JesusSaves

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
In no particular order:
  • Focus on bug fixing & stability above all
  • Clean-up of settings
  • Dark mode icons
  • All navigation elements & toolbars at the bottom of the screen
  • More of a neumorphic feel. Get rid of the unhelpful flat interface elements. Let buttons look like buttons.
  • More dynamic wallpapers
  • The ‘Apple picture of the day’ wallpaper feature that they seemed to be working on in 2020
  • Audio sounds update
  • Mail: visual refresh. Mail send & snooze scheduling.
  • Messages: message send scheduling. Per conversation snooze scheduling.
  • Calendar: visual refresh (as it still looks like the iOS 7 version).
  • Apple Music: way better ML generated playlists and better recommendations. Make it feel less like a service programmed by the promotional departments of record companies
I don’t own an iPad, but:
  • Proper windowing system especially on external displays.
  • iPhone utility apps on iPad (calculator!)
And slightly off topic, I’d like to see MacOS and iPadOS get closer together.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Apple is gonna do nothing we want, the home bar is a mess it’s in the way when playing games we should be able to remove it we know how to use our phones

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Small changes to the icons yearly? People engage with the content, not the UI — a good UI should disappear. Name one website, magazine, or platform of respectable size that does what you’re describing.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Interesting.

But, without a ground up redesign all we will ever get here is small iterative changes.

The thing is, you have to ask yourself... what changes have we had in the last 5 years or so that have made a material difference to your experience of the phone and how you use it.

Arguably the only change that can be described as such is the on screen widgets - that enabled new styles of home page layouts that weren't possible before.

Id love a big change.. but only from the perspective that its become boring.... but is it necessary? I dont think apple thinks so. A bit like the phone itself... where do we go from a flat piece of glass... how exciting are we expecting the iPhone14 to be? not very.

I would say that the UI with the most potential for change is that of the iPad. iPadOS16 im hoping will be significant for the fact that now the ludicrously over-powered M1 chip is in both the pros, and the air.... the OS needs to be able to take advantage of that power. I would also hope that they make some kind of concession where you plug the iPad into an external display and it resizes accordingly - making the power of the M1 more relevant and perhaps using the iPad on the desktop as well....

But, iOS15... iPhoneOS at the least... will probably be very dull and most things as ever will be something to have a quick look at on release then forever go unused... and yes I include things like new wallpapers etc etc - they are things you look at and change once and then never again.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
We’ve had the same home screen since iOS 8.

Time to spice things up a little bit.

New icons, theme store, dark mode icons, new system font, bring back all of the previous apple wallpapers.

REMOVE THAT HIDEOUS HOME BAR!!!
The SF font isn’t changing, there are plenty of sites that offer free wallpapers, and if the icons bother you just create your own and use Shortcuts.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
if the icons bother you just create your own and use Shortcuts.
Yeah nah not happening, not jumping through hoops so I can change my icons.

It’s one of the stupidest feature apple have come up with.

Don’t get me started on them apps that apparently make it easier to change your icons. ?‍♂️

1648115636406.jpeg

Don’t understand people who are against change, no one is forcing them to use these new features if they get added.

Last edited:
Reactions: NBKindaGirl

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
United States
I think at a certain point they'll be nearly forced to, as SMS has stopped evolving and the world wants something better over that protocol…
Exactly. Which is why I would be surprised if 16 is the version that brings us RCS, as it hasn’t reached the point where it’s something that needs to be “forced” yet from a technical standpoint.

Honestly, I’d love when that day comes and RCS finally becomes the new standard and SMS rides off into the sunset but I think that’s still a few years away.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand…

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
I would like Apple Music to actually work, and playback the tracks I select. Not some other version of the same song.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
The theme of this thread is: "I have terrible UI ideas because I'm a user not a developer, but they're OK because I said the word oPtIoN."

No, not every terrible idea should be done just because it's only an "option".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.