Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
iPhone 15 Pro iOS 17.0.2

Paired to car with no issues. All working except I cannot send a text message or reply to an incoming text message.

I called Apple Support. 45 mins of questions and toggle this and that and try it again. Nothing helped. Then I was told to wipe my phone back to factory settings and reinstall the software.

I didn't want to do that so I asked to speak to senior tech support. 5 mins of questions and unpair and re connect the phone to the car and try again. It still didn't work. Then I was told that the engineers know about this issue, do not want or need screen recordings or logs and it is a known issue and to wait for a software update in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else have this issue?

Anyone found a fix?

• Wow
Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

jimilee

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2023
I had this issue; after all the pairing and unpairing. I turned off the car and the phone. It started working after a day or two. I don’t know why.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Updated to iOS 17.0.3 and car play still will not allow me to reply or send a message using Siri. Called Apple Support again. Did all the things they suggested and ultimately told to buy a holder for my phone in the car and use it to reply or send messages. Hey, Apple! Fix Car Play!

Kat76662

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
iPhone 15 Pro iOS 17.0.2

Paired to car with no issues. All working except I cannot send a text message or reply to an incoming text message.

I called Apple Support. 45 mins of questions and toggle this and that and try it again. Nothing helped. Then I was told to wipe my phone back to factory settings and reinstall the software.

I didn't want to do that so I asked to speak to senior tech support. 5 mins of questions and unpair and re connect the phone to the car and try again. It still didn't work. Then I was told that the engineers know about this issue, do not want or need screen recordings or logs and it is a known issue and to wait for a software update in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else have this issue?

Anyone found a fix?
Any updates in regards to Apple Carplay texting?

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Any fix or it just disappeared…mine was intermittent
Mine still doesn’t work. Talked apple senior tech support again today. They couldn’t find a fix in the notes for iOS 17.1 beta 3. Argh! Anyone running the beta? Please test this

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I’m encouraged if they are addressing it…
17.1 RC was released today before full release next week. There is no mention in the notes that Car Play issues are being fixed in this update.

Anyone know anything about this?

Reactions: Kat76662

FredNet

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2023
Glad to finally find someone else with this issue. Having the same issue with my new Pioneer head unit. Phone (iPhone 12 Pro or 15 Pro) works great on our Kia, and several other cars.

What car do you have? I noticed that on the Pioneer, Siri will not pause the music when I try to text. Not sure if that's related, but I have found people with Toyota vehicles having the same issue with music not pausing. Music will pause on our Kia.

Interestingly, Siri will pause podcasts. However if I try to text it will fail. If it's an iOS issue I feel like Pioneer won't do anything to fix it.

Reactions: Maxell and Kat76662

Kat76662

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
Glad to finally find someone else with this issue. Having the same issue with my new Pioneer head unit. Phone (iPhone 12 Pro or 15 Pro) works great on our Kia, and several other cars.

What car do you have? I noticed that on the Pioneer, Siri will not pause the music when I try to text. Not sure if that's related, but I have found people with Toyota vehicles having the same issue with music not pausing. Music will pause on our Kia.

Interestingly, Siri will pause podcasts. However if I try to text it will fail. If it's an iOS issue I feel like Pioneer won't do anything to fix it.
2024 Lexus NX350…mentioned it to the dealer and no response, not interested in addressing it just blames Apple…☹️

Reactions: Maxell

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I spent hours with Apple senior tech. I wiped my phone (data and software), downloaded all new software, set up as new and tried car play again. It still has the same issue in car play with messages. Senior tech said that it is 100% for sure an Apple bug and we just have to wait to for engineers to fix it and send out an update.

We have tried iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 15pro on Lexus, Volvo and an Audi.

It’s not the car. Or your phone. It’s an Apple bug. If you talk to Apple Support, report this to senior tech

Also senior tech said to report this issue at www.apple.com/feedback because they said the engineers actually read it reports from this link

Please send your feedback

TheDatanator

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2023
I spent hours with Apple senior tech. I wiped my phone (data and software), downloaded all new software, set up as new and tried car play again. It still has the same issue in car play with messages. Senior tech said that it is 100% for sure an Apple bug and we just have to wait to for engineers to fix it and send out an update.

We have tried iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 15pro on Lexus, Volvo and an Audi.

It’s not the car. Or your phone. It’s an Apple bug. If you talk to Apple Support, report this to senior tech

Also senior tech said to report this issue at www.apple.com/feedback because they said the engineers actually read it reports from this link

Please send your feedback
Thank you for the work you put in chasing this. I've been beyond frustrated with this on the 14 pro wtih ios17. Like you, I tried with multiple vehicles. I even purchased a 15pro figuring a virgin phone would work if anything would. No progress other than I have a new phone. The very thing that is pitched as a safer way to interact, as become a huge distraction. Fixing this should be a P1 priority.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Not being able to text via Siri is a serious distraction. I resorted to turning on driving focus because of this. iOS 17.1.1 was released today but the Apple release notes don’t mention this car play issue. I will install the update and try car play messages again. Hope you’ll do the same and let’s see if it gets fixed. If not, submit the issue again to www.apple.com/feedback. Please post here if your car play messages works after 17.1.1 update. Thank you

TheDatanator

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2023
Not being able to text via Siri is a serious distraction. I resorted to turning on driving focus because of this. iOS 17.1.1 was released today but the Apple release notes don’t mention this car play issue. I will install the update and try car play messages again. Hope you’ll do the same and let’s see if it gets fixed. If not, submit the issue again to www.apple.com/feedback. Please post here if your car play messages works after 17.1.1 update. Thank you
I upgraded to 17.1.1 this evening and went straight to the car to try things - nada. Same behavior. I've reported it on /feedback before, but will do again with this release. Dammit.

SonicSoundVW

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
Michigan, USA
I'm glad I haven't updated yet. I wish people would leave the year, make, and model of their car when they say it works or doesn't work. Heh. We need to get a list going! :)

TheDatanator

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2023
I'm glad I haven't updated yet. I wish people would leave the year, make, and model of their car when they say it works or doesn't work. Heh. We need to get a list going! :)
Good call - I'll start:

2022 NX 350 with most current software (infotainment)
iphone 15pro with iOS 17.1.1
Using wireless carplay (I will try WIRED carplay later today - if behavior changes, I will advise)

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Installed 17.1.1 on iPhone 15pro. Went to car NX 350 Lexus 2022 with latest infotainment software on car (already been to dealer to confirm this) and the latest iOS 17.1.1 does not fix my car play issues. Still cannot reply or send a message. I tried to unpair the car, forget the car on my phone and start all over to pair phone with car. I completed all that and it still doesn’t work. Apple fix this!

This is an accident waiting to happen by the distraction of taking eyes off road when car play is supposed to make driving safer

jeffpl

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
I have a 2023 Lexus NX350. I updated my iPhone to ios17. When trying to send a text, Siri says "what would you like to say to" and then stops. Siri does not repeat who I want to send text to. I say what I want the text to read and Siri pauses and says "Says is a" and then stops again...then a few seconds later says “Sorry, I can’t read results to you while in the car”. It seems Siri is hearing itself back.

I switched my ios to beta and tried again. It actually worked for one day and reverted back to the error. I reported the error via Feedback and have received no reply from apple. It lists the issue as open and no other reports. Just switch to beta 2 and still not working.

One more nugget...while I had my NX350 in for an oil change I drove a loaner, a 2024 Lexus RX350. I paired the same phone (ios17) to this car and it worked flawlessly. So it seems to be isolated to the NX350.

Looks like a lot of NX350 people having the same issue.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.