Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Jeffpl - that is exactly what my issue is with car play in my Lexus nx350 2022. I went to Lexus and they said I have the most recent infotainment software. I reported this exact issue to Apple senior tech and the guy said lots of people with different model cars and different iPhones - not just the 15 pro have called in with the same issue. Interesting observation about lexus though. When I updated to 17.1.1 mine worked for one day and then reverted back too so I know that it can work on my car and my phone - 15pro and I still point the finger at Apple to fix this. Disappointed to hear that beta2 still doesn’t fix this!

jeffpl

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
When I updated to 17.1.1 mine worked for one day and then reverted back too
Pretty crazy that you experienced the same thing. How can it work and then not work? Between working and not working, I changed nothing in my settings.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Pretty crazy that you experienced the same thing. How can it work and then not work? Between working and not working, I changed nothing in my settings.
Neither did I. No settings changed. Most of the time I get the Siri response you get about not being able to show you while you are driving. Other times, I get Siri just stuck doing nothing on trying to reply or send a message. She reads the message and responds to all other requests (like open Google maps etc) but I cannot reply to or send a new message. If they don’t fix this in 17.2 - we are stuck with this bug for quite a while longer.

jeffpl

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
So I am about to buy a new phone hoping that will resolve my issue. I currently have a 12 pro max that I love. My wife, who has an iphone 11, updated to ios17 this weekend. We connected her phone to my car to see if her phone would also error with siri. Her phone connected and worked flawlessly. So what's the deal with my phone? Should I get a new phone? I've read that many people have the same issue we are having with many iphone models.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxell

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I don't have the issue but just out of curiosity.

Are you using wired or wireless Carplay? Or is it the same behavour no matter how you hook it up?

jeffpl

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
I have tried both wireless and wired. When I tried wired I ensured my bluetooth was disabled. I had the same issue both ways.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I have tried both wireless and wired. When I tried wired I ensured my bluetooth was disabled. I had the same issue both ways.
Strange that your wifes iPhone 11 works flawlessly. Friday eve is sorted, bring out a bottle of wine and compare iPhone settings :-D

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Will be very interested to hear if a new phone solves this. Which phone will you get? iPhone 15 pro?

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
The return policy at Apple is holiday season. You’d have till Jan 8 th to return a new phone if you still have the Siri car play bug and then go back to your 12 pro max and wait for software update

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Have you tried completely wiping your phone including the software 17.2 b3 and then doing device firmware update and then set up as new and then try your car play? If the bug still exists, then you know it’s software related. If it works, then you can set up your phone with your data. I did all that on my iPhone 15 pro. The same Siri bug happened even set up as new. So, Apple senior tech said not my car, not my phone. Definitely software and wait for update.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Heard there’s possibly an update coming next week. iOS 17.1.2 with bug fixes. Let’s hope the car play bug is in this update

jeffpl

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
Yesterday morning I did a complete recover wipe and reinstall. I was running beta 3. The reinstall brought me back to ios 17.1, but to get my backup data back I had to upgrade back to beta 3. After a complete reinstall and reload of my backup the carplay siri bug was fixed!! I tested out several siri text messages with my family and friends and everything worked flawlessly. During the afternoon, back at my home office, I took several calls, wrote a few emails, and viewed several apps. I did NOT make any setting changes during this time. Back in the car last evening, the bug was back. This is exactly what happened a few weeks ago when I upgraded to beta. It worked for a day and reverted back to the bug.

Hopefully the 17.1.2 release will address this, but I have my doubts.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Yesterday morning I did a complete recover wipe and reinstall. I was running beta 3. The reinstall brought me back to ios 17.1, but to get my backup data back I had to upgrade back to beta 3. After a complete reinstall and reload of my backup the carplay siri bug was fixed!! I tested out several siri text messages with my family and friends and everything worked flawlessly. During the afternoon, back at my home office, I took several calls, wrote a few emails, and viewed several apps. I did NOT make any setting changes during this time. Back in the car last evening, the bug was back. This is exactly what happened a few weeks ago when I upgraded to beta. It worked for a day and reverted back to the bug.

Hopefully the 17.1.2 release will address this, but I have my doubts.
That is exactly what happened to me when I did the same thing. It worked for a few messages and then the bug came back. I can’t understand how this happens. I’ve done all these steps twice. The first time I did what you did. Same result. Worked for half a day and bug came back. The second time I set I set up as new and that time I did it with Apple senior tech on the phone with me (a different phone) and that time it didn’t work even setting up as new. I sent screen shots and logs to engineering. Over on Reddit there are lots of threads and people complaining about car play in iOS 17. Apple tech said definitely a software bug.

jeffpl

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
The latest iOS, 17.2, did not resolve the bug. I have found that if i turn the volume of Siri's voice to a whisper the error does not occur. All is well when Siri whispers back the message or command (Playing Lana Del Rey on Spotify). So it must have something to do with Siri hearing itself. I think they added an "always listening after request" function to iOS 17 that is causing the bug.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
The latest iOS, 17.2, did not resolve the bug. I have found that if i turn the volume of Siri's voice to a whisper the error does not occur. All is well when Siri whispers back the message or command (Playing Lana Del Rey on Spotify). So it must have something to do with Siri hearing itself. I think they added an "always listening after request" function to iOS 17 that is causing the bug.
I tried this. I lowered the volume and tried to reply to a message but I got the same error. Message did not get sent. Then I tried to send a message with the volume all the way down and still got the same error. Glad you found something that works for you

Disappointed that 17.2 doesn’t have a fix. Do we really have to wait for iOS 18?!

dinom

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2023
Any new updates on this? I just joined because I recently installed a new Pioneer DMH-WT3800NEX head unit into my wife's 2017 Highlander, and although I love the stereo and the way it fits, Siri over CarPlay is broken just like what is described in this thread.

The head unit has the latest firmware (1.55) from Pioneer and I just upgraded to IOS 17.2. I've tried two iPhones and they both exhibit the same behavior. The same iPhones work perfectly fine in my Audi Q5 with stock head unit and CarPlay.

Not sure what to do. I've looked over reviews of this same Pioneer online and even ones posted recently don't mention this issue, so I'm wondering if I just got a bad unit. Or is this problem not widespread and for some reason is only affecting a small percentage of user?

Thanks in advance.

-D

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Any new updates on this? I just joined because I recently installed a new Pioneer DMH-WT3800NEX head unit into my wife's 2017 Highlander, and although I love the stereo and the way it fits, Siri over CarPlay is broken just like what is described in this thread.

The head unit has the latest firmware (1.55) from Pioneer and I just upgraded to IOS 17.2. I've tried two iPhones and they both exhibit the same behavior. The same iPhones work perfectly fine in my Audi Q5 with stock head unit and CarPlay.

Not sure what to do. I've looked over reviews of this same Pioneer online and even ones posted recently don't mention this issue, so I'm wondering if I just got a bad unit. Or is this problem not widespread and for some reason is only affecting a small percentage of user?

Thanks in advance.

-D
The bug remains even in 17.2. I have contacted Apple again and they confirm this is a known bug but can’t provide a date for a fix. Send your issue to Apple via www.apple.com/feedback

Apple told me again it’s not my car, not my phone. Definitely a software bug and to wait for a software update

jeffpl

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023

Thanks in advance.

-D
Interesting that you're having an issue with a Pioneer head unit. Lexus uses Pioneer equipment. Many user with the same problem have Lexus vehicles.

Reactions: Maxell

dinom

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2023
I just called Pioneer and they are telling their customers that the DMH-WT3800NEX has problems with Siri and that the issue may never be fixed. I was like WTF? I even talked to a supervisor in the tech support group.

So now I'm not sure what to do? Changing out head unit for another unit is a lot of work, with no guarantee it will work any better with Siri. I guess I could bench test a new head unit to check Siri first.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Interesting that you're having an issue with a Pioneer head unit. Lexus uses Pioneer equipment. Many user with the same problem have Lexus vehicles.
My car is a Lexus nx 350 2022. Maybe this is the problem. The unit is pioneer and no fix. But it worked perfectly on iOS 16. Problem only started on iOS 17. When I updated to 17.2 this week, car play worked perfectly for one day! But the next day, the bug was back. So I know it can work with iOS 17.2 and still think it’s an Apple software issue

dinom

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2023
I also tend to agree that this can be fixed with an Apple update (since you mention it worked before IOS 17) I just don't know how long I want to wait for that fix. I have until mid-January to return this to Best Buy, so that doesn't leave much time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.