Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Glad to see the transition going, however I really pray that apple will redesign the magic mouse with their USB-C version.
I like the idea behind the magic mouse, but the shape is just not ergonomic and the pointer is far from precise.
After all these years, I really think it needs a redesign.
With regards to the magic keyboard, no complaints...I love using it.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Don't those require a different kind of screen tech?
Well yes, but it's just a fundamentally better design. You pick up you pen and it works, no need to worry if it's charged. It also supports tilt, pressure sensitivity, hover, control buttons etc. I assume Apple didn't go for it because Wacom have a patent on it, but lots of other PC manufacturers use it so I don't see the problem. I'm guessing Apple just wanted to maximise profits.

I wouldn't mind a pen you had to charge if it had some additional features, like working on the iPhone or maybe working without a screen at all (with motion detection) so you could use it on paper etc. But as it stands it's just a heavier, more expensive, less convenient, less environmentally friendly, version of the Wacom pen with a limited lifespan due to the battery.

Reactions: Shirasaki

ErvGotti85

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2021
Philly
Well, the iPad Air doesn't have a magnetic charger for the Apple Pencil, and it uses the 1st generation Apple Pencil, which has a Lightning connector.
I think Apple is going to modify the Apple Pencil 1 to have a USB-C Port instead. So it may feature the same top Cap, and round shape.

The iPad Air has supported magnetic charging for the pencil 2 since the fourth version and the iPad mini has since the sixth version.

Reactions: CC77

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Maybe we'll finally get a united Apple Pencil with gen 3 - works on any iPad, charges wirelessly or via USB-C.

Also...what if it worked on Pro iPhones...

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I hope they produce 1 Apple Pencil that can be charged either magnetically, or via a USB-C port - then it maximizes the options to charge it while simultaneously eliminating the need for multiple Apple Pencil models.

Reactions: CC77

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
so more e-waste

thanks. this usb-c move is such a cluster****
Every port transition inevitably generates “e-waste”. What’s your point this time around specifically?

People’s hate towards USB-C is puzzling. Of course your existing accessory will be obsolete against new standards.
wrong

it's simply a fact - having more models of 1 device literally produces more ewaste than just having 1 model.
Well, this clearly shows your complete lack of understanding how this transition goes. Apple Pencil 3, which hasn’t been release yet, is rumored to support USB-C charging. Why that has anything to do with existing Apple Pencil 1 and 2? Besides, we already have 1 and 2 that charges differently. What’s your ewaste point?

Reactions: Mity

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So it’ll be Apple Pencil 3 with usb c and magnetic charging me thinks.

Or maybe just type C for the iPad 10th gen so the peasant iPad can still be differentiated by the lack of inductive charging like the fancier models.

edit:
before people get offended, I mean peasant iPad from apple's perspective of encouraging up-sell. even base model iPads are great devices in terms of processing capability, etc.

CC77

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
The current Apple Pencil compatibility situation is outrageous and really shows how confusing the current iPad lineup is. IMO: the iPad and iPad Air lines should merge. Discontinue the 9th gen iPad (or rename as iPad SE, if Timmy has to keep that production line open). $399 mini, $599 iPad, $799 Pro. Same pencil compatibility. Seems too easy... which is why it will likely never happen

marzbarz

Suspended
Sep 6, 2023
Nothing to do with the EU. Pretty sure Apple did this on their own as they switched over their iPad Pro line to USB-C almost five years ago creating all these incompatibility issues in their lineup.
five years ago and now they're just doing it after iPhone switched to USB-C huh?

marzbarz

Suspended
Sep 6, 2023
WRONG.. It’s going to replace the old model not add to the line. So no it won’t create more e-waste.
lmao wrong
replacing for the sole purpose of adding usb-c is literally creating e-waste as opposed to not adding usb-c at all.

marzbarz

Suspended
Sep 6, 2023
Every port transition inevitably generates “e-waste”. What’s your point this time around specifically?

People’s hate towards USB-C is puzzling. Of course your existing accessory will be obsolete against new standards.

Well, this clearly shows your complete lack of understanding how this transition goes. Apple Pencil 3, which hasn’t been release yet, is rumored to support USB-C charging. Why that has anything to do with existing Apple Pencil 1 and 2? Besides, we already have 1 and 2 that charges differently. What’s your ewaste point?
you failed to understand what I said.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
you failed to understand what I said.
Maybe it’s the opposite?
Just for Apple Pencil model issue, there are already 2 models in existence. What’s your point?
Or are you saying we should stop producing stuff altogether?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
lmao wrong
replacing for the sole purpose of adding usb-c is literally creating e-waste as opposed to not adding usb-c at all.
How do you know that new Apple Pencil is there just because of port switch?
Don‘t quote this article as proof. Provide some insights straight from Apple to prove it.

marzbarz

Suspended
Sep 6, 2023
How do you know that new Apple Pencil is there just because of port switch?
Don‘t quote this article as proof. Provide some insights straight from Apple to prove it.
you're operating under the assumption that it will be better in someway to have pencil 3 which would be just as accurate as my assumption that it would not be better in someway. so why are you asking for insights straight from apple when you didn't even do such thing

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
you're operating under the assumption that it will be better in someway to have pencil 3 which would be just as accurate as my assumption that it would not be better in someway. so why are you asking for insights straight from apple when you didn't even do such thing
This is literally running circles.

By the same logic, your original claim of ewaste doesn't make any sense either, because you don’t seem to know much more than we do.

As such, why you are surprised someone else refute your point and state otherwise? And why you are sticking to your original claim of “ewaste because of usb-c transition”?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Of course the Pencil 3 will be better. If it charges like the Pencil 1 but doesn’t require the adapter then its better, and if it charges like the Pencil 2 but supports a landscape camera in the Air or Pros then it’s better for those redesigned iPads. It’s bound to have at least one other feature which will make it better even if the charging doesn’t change. Assuming it wil be just as good as the Pencil 2 is a fair pov, but assuming it will be worse is nothing more than being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Of course the Pencil 3 will be better. If it charges like the Pencil 1 but doesn’t require the adapter then its better, and if it charges like the Pencil 2 but supports a landscape camera in the Air or Pros then it’s better for those redesigned iPads. It’s bound to have at least one other feature which will make it better even if the charging doesn’t change. Assuming it wil be just as good as the Pencil 2 is a fair pov, but assuming it will be worse is nothing more than being contrary for the sake of being contrary.
I couldn’t have said better myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.