Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dead0k

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2015
Poland
That's a hardware issue... how is a software update going to 'fix' it?
How do you know that for sure?

Apple in there screens have memory that can be copied/replaced. I saw on youtube

I tend to believe, burning effect easily could be a software issue too and people report 17.1 has fixed it for them.
Strange that Apple did not address it before like a 1-2 weeks ago.

mlgold

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2018
Excuse me? Software screen burn in? What kind of bug is that LMAO! Well hopefully for those with affected devices, this fixes the issue.

Edit: I can confirm. Faint Image retention that was present on the 15 pm on 17.0.3 is now gone in 17.1.
pixels had a similar problem a few models back

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Unless all your decades of coding has consisted of simply Hello World, you’d know that iOS and its dozens of supported devices, hundreds of new APIs, etc are all hand coded and subject to error. They have automated and manually testing teams but most of these issues are affecting something like 1 out of 5 million devices and aren’t found pre mass release.

1 out of 5 million? Source for those figures: trust me bro.

You're gonna tell me Apple also missed the overheating issue with their flagship phone? Or was that another 1 in 5 million issue?

It's okay to criticize Apple. Tim Apple will not send anyone after you.

cygy2k

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2005
Wonder how a "burn-in" can be fixed by a software update. Anyway will be good if Apple can fix it.
It was never ****ing burn-in, as many of us were pointing out when the symptoms first started appearing. The technical makeup of OLED's doesn't allow for the burn-in to occur that quickly, especially when you saw it happening even from unlocked home screens, where the device is barely on. This was always going to be a software or firmware bug.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
This an F-Zero 99 on Switch that translates to a TV are very image retention glitches I didn’t think were possible from just software.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
1 out of 5 million? Source for those figures: trust me bro.

You're gonna tell me Apple also missed the overheating issue with their flagship phone? Or was that another 1 in 5 million issue?

It's okay to criticize Apple. Tim Apple will not send anyone after you.
Apple sales figures show they average between 35-40 million devices sold every year. As the 15 has just dropped, let's assume that accounts for 25% of the yearly sales, so 8.75M devices are sold between the release and the second batch coming out around Black Friday. It's not 1 in 5M but it's maybe a few hundred in almost 9M. So like 0.0056% of devices are affected, rounding up to 9M and 500 affected devices, respectively. In order to hit 1% of devices affected we'd need roughly 90,000 devices malfunctioning.

Yes Apple missed other apps causing SoC runaways. Why is that astonishing? They don't write the code for InstaTrash. Their fix probably consists of crashing the app out when aberrant behavior is detected from it. Or did you miss that it was other apps causing the phones to get hot?

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Maybe this was meant as a joke? Introduce SOFTWARE bugs so people are motivated to do an update to the next iOS version. I got the joke, but seems like most didn’t 🤷‍♂️
History has shown claims such as that aren't a joke, but that many here believe that's how Apple operates.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Yes Apple missed other apps causing SoC runaways. Why is that astonishing? They don't write the code for InstaTrash. Their fix probably consists of crashing the app out when aberrant behavior is detected from it. Or did you miss that it was other apps causing the phones to get hot?

Instagram wasn't the only thing causing issues, or did you miss that Apple released an OS update to fix the issue on their end?

luckypro93

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Yeah I’m still gonna stick with iOS 17.0 on my iPhone 15 Pro Max 1TB as I have not had any of the reported issues since release.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Instagram wasn't the only thing causing issues, or did you miss that Apple released an OS update to fix the issue on their end?
The only thing I saw reported as causing the problem were non-Apple apps and if you actually read what I wrote, I didn't say IG was the only one. The "fix", as I already said, is probably to cause the offending app to crash out or reset so that it doesn't overload the chip. If the app is asking for unlimited resources, that's not an iOS or Apple coding issue.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
The only thing I saw reported as causing the problem were non-Apple apps and if you actually read what I wrote, I didn't say IG was the only one. The "fix", as I already said, is probably to cause the offending app to crash out or reset so that it doesn't overload the chip. If the app is asking for unlimited resources, that's not an iOS or Apple coding issue.

No, it is not to crash the app. Apple worked with Instagram to fix it without disruption to the user. What you suggested is ludicrous.

MacOSExustio

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
> Modern OLED displays utilize software algorithms to mitigate screen burn by essentially keeping track of how long individual sub-pixels are lit
FINALLY - an actual intelligent (read: useful) comment! So like SSD wear-leveling for OLED. For anyone who wants to get way down in the chemical weeds of why the degradation occurs, I found this "Understanding degradation of organic light-emitting diodes from magnetic field effects" (open access; https://www.nature.com/articles/s43246-020-0019-0)

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
No, it is not to crash the app. Apple worked with Instagram to fix it without disruption to the user. What you suggested is ludicrous.
Cause an app crash/reset or let the phone overheat. Yeah, sounds ludicrous. If IG fixed the app with Apple's guidance, then sure, but I hadn't heard anything about that. All I had seen reported was that Apple had patched the issue. Which, without any IG involvement, could only involve causing the app to stop when runaway is detected.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You must "power cycle" your router every now and then.
Don’t even get me started.

Me:“I need you to power cycle your router, we’ve already checked everything else”

Colleague: “It can’t be my router, everything else is online and my kid is currently gaming”

Me: “Just humor me, unplug it for a full minute then plug it back in. Once you’re back online ping me and let me know if it’s still not working”

Colleague, after rebooting: “hey that seemed to fix it! Thanks”

Me: “Glad to help (now you know that you’re not the IT person so maybe just follow my instructions instead of insisting you know better)”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.