Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The second beta of iOS 17.2 adds a new feature that allows an iPhone 15 Pro or iPhone 15 Pro Max to record Spatial Video that can be viewed in the Photos app on Apple's forthcoming Apple Vision Pro headset.

spatial-video-apple-visioin-pro.jpg

Spatial Video recording can be enabled by going to the Settings app, tapping into the Camera section, selecting Formats, and toggling on "Spatial Video for Apple Vision Pro."

Apple says that for best results when recording Spatial Video, the iPhone should be held stable in landscape orientation while capturing video. Video is recorded at 30 frames per second at 1080p, and one minute of video takes up 130MB of storage space.

Spatial Videos taken with an iPhone 15 Pro can be viewed on the iPhone as well, but the video appears to be a normal video and not a Spatial Video. Spatial Videos feature a "Spatial" label to denote that they can be viewed in 3D on the Vision Pro.

On the Vision Pro headset, Spatial Videos are not shown full screen by default. If you expand the video, Apple warns that the video "has excess motion" and "could cause discomfort if expanded."

Article Link: iOS 17.2 Beta 2 Includes Feature for Recording Spatial Video on iPhone 15 Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitejest

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
A new kind of home movie capture where, years from now, you can feel you’ve traveled back to the time it is shot… as if you are there again. Imagine capturing an important moment in 2023/24 and coming back to it in 2034 or 2044. I hope the illusion is amazing.

And I’m hoping for full 360-degree capture in some kind of upcoming camera product (phone could not do this) so that virtual re-visits from the future would allow one to look all around and up and down too… an impressive visual variant of the surround or ATMOS sound concept.

Instead of having to always get off to an outside position to get everyone into a shot, you can be right in the middle of it all and still film everyone. Then, when watching later, looking around lets you see those who were not out in front (& center) from your position… by simply turning your head to look left, right or behind.

I know this kind of camera product ALREADY exists- for many years now- so this is simply hoping for a variant to take full advantage of Vpro features like higher resolution and spatial audio.

Last edited:

ttaylor2258

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2022
This may sound cheesy, but the only reason I upgraded a year early to the 15 Pro was for this feature. My fathers not in great health and his grand kids are 6, 4 & 1. I have been waiting for this feature to take some 3D video of the kids with him to show them at some point. It would defy all odds if he were still around for the 16 Pro launch, when I had planned on upgrading from my 12 Pro.

ApostolisApo

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg
This may sound cheesy, but the only reason I upgraded a year early to the 15 Pro was for this feature. My fathers not in great health and his grand kids are 6, 4 & 1. I have been waiting for this feature to take some 3D video of the kids with him to show them at some point. It would defy all odds if he were still around for the 16 Pro launch, when I had planned on upgrading from my 12 Pro.
Dude, I am in the same position. Thankfully my parents are in good health, but you know, very old. I got 15 Pro Max 512 so that I can record moments with them without thinking at the storage limit.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Don’t we want 8k/60 for this thing?…
As soon as it’s possible to capture it! And yes, 16K after that.

There’s no coming back years from today to recapture big life moments again. Get ‘em while you can at the best quality you can. You can always render for today’s screen resolutions from better quality masters. But that doesn’t work as well the other way.

Last edited:

ApostolisApo

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg
while recording I get this stability indicator. When stable long enough it disappears. I just hope my first video looks good because most of the time the indicator was visible and in yellow color :D

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
It’s probably doing 1080p as it’s likely cropping the frames to get an artificial boost in ipd. The cameras are pretty close. My theory is that next iPhone has traffic light pattern and spatial is done with 1st and 3rd cameras.

Do we really think Apple is going to keep this feature in production for four months? I think this is a clue towards and earlier release. 17.3 would make more sense if device was coming in April.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
As impressive as the technology is, nothing will beat the experience of watching home videos on the tv in the living room with your whole family gathered around.

As the story says, this apparently plays back for a 2D screen experience too. So play it for all on a television/computer screen/iPad when in a group and have the option for immersion on Vpro when solo. Win:win.

Last edited:

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
It's not vaporware lol; it's Apple, not some startup at risk of going defunct before Vision Pro is released.
I'm looking at a representation of an image that might be similar to what the Vision Pro performs like, and then considering how these new features work on said representation. It's certainly not feeling material yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: zecanard

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Finally! Super excited for this. My mom and I both upgraded this year from our 14 Pros primarily for this feature (among all the other improvements as well). Can’t wait to give it a try.

Marswarrior462

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
I'm so disappointed that it's capped at 1080p. 1080p is gross and pathetic in 2023 going into 2024. I'm so glad I stuck to my 13 Pro Max and didn't upgrade this year. That, combined with the fact that Apple is apparently going to software lock some iOS 18 features concerning generative AI to the iPhone 16s has completely destroyed my interest in upgrading. If you're on an older phone, I can confidently say, DO NOT BUY THE 15 now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.