Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared the full release notes for iOS 17.3, which will be released to the public next week. The notes reveal that iOS 17.3 allows the iPhone to connect to select hotel room TVs via AirPlay, but details remain slim for now.

airplay-hotels.jpg

"AirPlay hotel support lets you stream content directly to the TV in your room in select hotels," the notes say for the iOS 17.3 Release Candidate.

The feature allows iPhone users to scan a QR code on a supported hotel room TV to establish an AirPlay connection, allowing them to wirelessly stream videos, photos, and music from their iPhone to the TV. Google already offers a similar feature on some hotel TVs, allowing guests to stream content from their smartphone via Chromecast.

In June 2023, Apple said Holiday Inn parent company IHG Hotels & Resorts planned to adopt the feature, but exact availability is unknown. LG previously announced that it would be one of the first hotel room TV manufacturers to support the feature.

Apple originally said the feature would launch last year, but it was delayed until 2024.

Article Link: iOS 17.3 Allows iPhones to Connect to Some Hotel Room TVs via AirPlay

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
This is a really great feature that Apple has developed for iOS

I used to occasionally bring my Apple TV with me when I traveled so that I could watch sports games via MLB.tv or NBA TV but now that I can sync up to the hotel TV via this new feature, I won’t have to bring my Apple TV with me on trips
Would you believe I actually use an older Apple TV as a "mobile" device I keep in a bag in case I do stay somewhere else? lol It's come in handy

Arislan

macrumors member
May 18, 2020
Hawaii
cool, maybe I can stop carrying around an HDMI cable and going behind the tv to disconnect the cable box.
Is that seriously something you do? Most hotels have casting already. AirPlay is just one more way to watch content on the hotel TV.

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011

I used to occasionally bring my Apple TV with me when I traveled so that I could watch sports games via MLB.tv or NBA TV but now that I can sync up to the hotel TV via this new feature, I won’t have to bring my Apple TV with me on trips
Personally, I'd have preferred they added a feature to the Apple TV to allow it properly to connect to hotel wireless, like any other device - that would be almost universally effective, as opposed to this band-aid which will likely only work in a few hotels nationwide, at least in the short term.

Rob__Mac

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2021
Hackney, London
I haven't travelled a tonne the last couple of years, but staying in a hotel recently I was pleased to see I could cast to the TV.

It didn't work.

Hopefully this will improve things!

Reactions: SFjohn

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
Personally, I'd have preferred they added a feature to the Apple TV to allow it properly to connect to hotel wireless, like any other device - that would be almost universally effective, as opposed to this band-aid which will likely only work in a few hotels nationwide, at least in the short term.
Apple fixed the issues with connecting Apple TVs to the hotel WiFi in tvOS 15:

An alternative approach would be to bring along a travel router or even a MiFi if only using AirPlay and not streaming (if low cellular data limit)

Reactions: Huck

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008

You definitely need to first call the hotels you booked.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
I've wanted this since AirPlay was released! Hotel TV is too limited, and too local for my interests. I discovered a way to hack the blue & white remote (that virtually every hotel uses) to change the input so I could use my Apple TV box, but what a pain in the A**!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
CitizenM hotels used to have a similar feature with a workaround. You’d use the citizenM app on your iPhone which would make the connection to AirPlay. It worked well. It was removed recently, perhaps in anticipation of this native solution. I missed AirPlay on my recent stays so hopefully it comes back.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
The picture on my iPad Pro 12.9 is a lot better than the crap TVs in most hotels. Plus I can get spatial audio with my Air Pod Pros. As long as I get a decent wifi signal I sticking with the iPad Pro.

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I've wanted this since AirPlay was released! Hotel TV is too limited, and too local for my interests. I discovered a way to hack the blue & white remote (that virtually every hotel uses) to change the input so I could use my Apple TV box, but what a pain in the A**!
It’s so annoying that most hotel remotes don’t have an input button. I usually bring a universal remote or just use my Roku or MacBook Pro with a wireless mouse because of this.

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
I love this!!!! So finally I'll be able to stream my own pictures while at a hotel, wondering how fat I look!

Well, always better that watching the Eagles 🏈 😭

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.