Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Nice

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2022
It's interesting that Apple never introduced and will never introduce such information on the Mac!
The AppStore has always been about revenue, never about security.

I don't feel less secure with a Mac, Windows PC or Linux because I can install software.

Apple has conditioned its sheep very well. They were and are better than Phil Schiller ever was😎

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
A new nightmare for the EU citizens after the cookies fiasco.

View attachment 2352263

Just use Firefox.

It'll tell sites that you're rejecting cookies automatically, you don't have to click anything.

And as I understand it, EU sites are legally required to accept being told "NO COOKIES" without bothering you if your browser is configured to do it for you.

Thanks, EU! At least that bit of wonderfulness works for us here in the US too!

Now, please put the smackdown on Apple HARD for not allowing normal installation of apps (I refuse to call normal installation "sideloading"). I'll buy a EU iPhone if you do, both for that and for a real SIM tray.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
I do not see why Apple cannot give us a way to click for never ask again for this site (or wait 30 days or something like that). Same for location. My answer is no almost everytime. Maybe an icon next to the search bar noting action may be required. Similar to the way the website is asking for a popup window. No click required if you want to say no.

They absolutely can. Firefox already did.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's interesting that Apple never introduced and will never introduce such information on the Mac!

I don't feel less secure with a Mac, Windows PC or Linux because I can install software.

Apple has conditioned its sheep very well. They were and are better than Phil Schiller ever was😎
It's also a fact that you probably have way less software installed on your PC than on your smartphone or tablet. Imagine if the App Store hadn't existed, and people had to navigate to individual websites to purchase apps on their mobile devices, and manually create accounts and key in their payment information for each transaction. Yes, developers may get to keep 100% of their earnings, but there would also have been way fewer copies of each app sold this way, because the friction involved in getting those apps onto your device is so much greater.

And I know that if I were to ever change my computer, I would have to remember what apps I had installed and then manually download them from the respective websites and reinstall each and every one of them all over again. And I sure hope I remember where I kept those installation codes for paid apps, because otherwise, I would likely have to buy them all over again from the developer.

Oh, and apps don't update until I open them (which is usually when I want to use them). Joy sitting around waiting for the update to patch itself.

I don't understand how anyone can look at this and conclude that it's a way superior user experience compared to having everything be tracked and managed for you centrally.

This is one aspect where Apple doesn't quite get enough recognition, that they have managed to create a trusted marketplace that makes users more open to purchasing and downloading apps. The end result is that people purchase and download more apps onto their mobile devices than they otherwise would, especially from smaller developers who would otherwise have been crowded out by the big name brands like Epic, Netflix and Spotify.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
You can really tell how pissed Apple is about DMA, to the point they're removing features and adding pointless additional steps for EU users. They could've used DMA to make their platform better and more open like macOS, but instead the response is just the most bad faith interpretation possible. Such a shame.

You ever hear of “work to rule”

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Glad to hear that it was a bug and no additional steps will be involved to install an app from App store.

Adysubman

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
England, United Kingdom
It's basically the same EU ideocracy as the "cookiebanner" each website has these days. Nobody reads them, just clicks on install. And the worst part is, it annoys most people.
It’s the biggest pain in the ar*e going. As you say it has no benefit to the user as in most cases people just click yes/green/install to get to where they want to go.

Adysubman

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
England, United Kingdom
Say it with me: This wouldn't have even been a possibility if the EU kept their noses out.

Sure...it was Apple's choice. But it is a choice that wouldn't have even been thought of if the EU left things alone. This can all be tied back to their incessant need to meddle in everything.
Usually happens when the European Commission realise their coffers are looking a bit empty and some fines are needed.

Reactions: iOS Geek

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010

Then you should ask why almost all enterprises locks down their Windows computers and don't let their employees install whatever they want.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Then you should ask why almost all enterprises locks down their Windows computers and don't let their employees install whatever they want.
Company computers are presumably subject to different (arguably higher) security standards in order to avoid getting hacked. Plus they're company property, so the "my device, my choice" argument doesn't apply because it's not "my device" to begin with.

adrianjagielak

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
I’m in the EU and didn’t get a scare screen when downloading an app I never downloaded before. Did you get a scare screen?
It’s showed to me every time, both when downloading new apps, and when downloading apps I’ve already purchased (I’m in Poland btw)

IMG_1333.png

• Haha
Reactions: iOS Geek

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Apple is so pity. The App Store was so seamless, and now I have to get through another splash screen when installing an app from the OFFICIAL store. It’s so annoying, and it’s not like they had to put the splash screen in the App Store for equality, since you don’t get a prompt on android after installing from the play store, only from apks.
Don't blame them. Blame those fat, useless politicians in Brussels, with nothing better to do than micromanage each and every tiny little aspect of our lives. :mad:

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Don't blame them. Blame those fat, useless politicians in Brussels, with nothing better to do than micromanage each and every tiny little aspect of our lives. :mad:
Sure, as if the half-assed implementation isn't entirely Apple's doing.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Apple wouldn't have to make any kind of implementation, be it half-assed or not, if those meddling good-for-nothings minded their own business and left us and our phones alone.
The EC wouldn't have had to write an entire law if it weren't for Apple and other companies acting anti-competitively.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
The EC wouldn't have had to write an entire law if it weren't for Apple and other companies acting anti-competitively.
Only in this case they weren't. There's nothing anti-competitive about deciding how your own product is supposed to work. Whoever has a problem with this is free to make their own products, with their own rules. And you're free to buy those, if you don't like Apple's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.