Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on a new iOS 17.4 update that brings some major changes to the iPhone (and the iPad) in Europe. Some of the biggest updates are only going to update people in the European Union, but there are also plenty of features in iOS 17.4 that are available worldwide.

iOS-17.4-Feature-Blue.jpg

In this article, we've rounded up everything new so far in iOS 17.4.

EU Changes

Apple implemented notable changes to the way the App Store and apps operate in the European Union in order to comply with the Digital Markets Act. These changes are included in iOS 17.4, but are limited to countries that are in the European Union.

iOS-App-Store-General-Feature-Black.jpg

Alternative App Stores and New App Store Terms

App developers in the EU can opt to offer alternative app stores or install their apps through alternative stores, and Apple has a whole new fee structure that goes along with this change. There's a new business structure that developers can opt in to, which applies to both apps distributed in the App Store and apps that are distributed through alternative means.

App developers using the new system will need to pay a standard fee of 0.50 euros per user per year, with the first million installs offered for free. Apps distributed through alternative app stores will have no commission. Apps distributed through the App Store will pay a reduced 17 percent commission, or 10 percent for those in the small business program or for user subscriptions older than a year.

Developers can choose not to opt in to the new system and can use the existing system with the same 15/30 percent commission that's available elsewhere in the world. Apple has a fee calculator to help developers determine what they'll pay with the existing setup, with the new setup, with the new setup using alternative app stores, and with the new setup using the App Store.

Users are able to set their preferred alternative app store as the default app store on their device if desired. EU users will see an option for this in the Settings app.

There are a huge number of behind-the-scene changes that are enabling this feature in the EU, with updates to all kinds of system messaging. Users in the EU will, for example, get a pop up warning when an app from an alternative app store contains malware, and there are new screens for verifying the information from an alternative app.

A Screen Time setting will allow parents to decide whether their children's devices are able to install apps from alternative app marketplaces.

Alternative Payment Options

Apple is also allowing apps to use alternative payment options in their apps, and there is no longer a requirement to use in-app purchase. Developers who distribute apps through the App Store and use an alternative payment option will see a three percent discount in their App Store fees.

Developers who distribute through alternative apps and also use an alternative payment option will pay Apple no fees beyond the set 0.50 euro fee per user.

With alternative payments, purchases for digital goods and services can be made directly in an app or a developer can choose to link to their website to have a user make a payment. Apple is requiring developers to use a known, secure payment provider.

Third-Party Browser Updates

After updating to iOS 17.4, EU users that open Safari will see a pop up that allows them to choose a new default browser option from a list of the most popular browsers on iOS.

Apple is also allowing alternative browser engines, and will not limit browsers like Chrome to the WebKit engine.

NFC Access

Third-party payment apps and banks have access to the NFC chip in the iPhone in iOS 17.4, and can offer contactless payments directly on the iPhone without using Apple Pay or the Wallet app in the European Economic Area. Users can set a default contactless payment provider that activates at tap-to-pay terminals or when the Side button on the iPhone is pressed twice.

The option for setting a default contactless payment provider is available in the Settings app in the EU, and this section will also provide details on all apps that have requested and been granted contactless payment access.

EU users can also change the default Wallet app on the iPhone.

Web Apps

Apple has restricted the functionality of Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) in the European Union in iOS 17.4. PWAs have no dedicated windowing, notifications, or long-term local storage. According to Apple, web apps have been removed because of the DMA requirement for alternative browser engines and the work required to implement a more secure solution.

Apple says that malicious web apps from other browser engines could read data from other web apps and gain access to a user's camera, microphone, and location without user consent. Apple would need to build a new integration architecture to fix these problems, but this is not practical because of other DMA requirements and because Home Screen web apps aren't widely used.

Gaming App Changes

Streaming game apps are now allowed on the App Store worldwide, which means services like Xbox Cloud Gaming and Nvidia GeForce NOW can be offered as standalone iPhone and iPad apps.

Apple previously only allowed cloud gaming services to be offered via the web, but dedicated apps that let users stream games from servers are now permitted.

Mini-app, mini-games, chatbots, and plug-ins are also now able to use the in-app purchase system.

New Emoji

The iOS 17.4 beta adds new emoji characters that include lime, an edible brown mushroom, a phoenix, a broken chain, shaking head vertically (as in a "yes" nod), and shaking head horizontally (a "no" head shake).

iOS-17.4-New-Emoji-Feature-2.5.jpg

These emoji are part of the Unicode 15.1 update that was approved in September 2023.

Messaging with Siri

The Automatically Send Messages setting under Siri & Search has been renamed "Messaging with Siri," and there is an option to set Siri to read incoming messages in a specific language like Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and many more... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: iOS 17.4 Beta: All the New Features

Last edited:

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Podcast transcripts are really good, not absolutely perfect but comparable to Whisper. The only thing it doesn't do is distinguish different speakers, but I think it's tricky to combine that feature with high-quality AI speech recognition.

Reactions: Mother Nature

SamboSoul

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2020
With the introduction of the gaming apps, I believe there's a great chance that we can use AirPlay to send it to our AppleTVs? I just hope that tvOS versions of those gaming apps follow soon, this would turn the AppleTV into a great gaming console.

Reactions: Mother Nature

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
My dad, who is horrible a tech, just yesterday said, I’m starting to use Apple Wallet and really liking it. So nice to have all the things there. If banks and card issuers start opting for their own app, instead of Apple wallet, it will ruin Apple Wallet. No one uses Walmart pay because you have to open an app. If they support both, great, but if not this is going to suck.

Even Google is adopting the pkpass format for their wallet.

Reactions: Joak1mA

Seffers

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
My dad, who is horrible a tech, just yesterday said, I’m starting to use Apple Wallet and really liking it. So nice to have all the things there. If banks and card issuers start opting for their own app, instead of Apple wallet, it will ruin Apple Wallet. No one uses Walmart pay because you have to open an app. If they support both, great, but if not this is going to suck.

Even Google is adopting the pkpass format for their wallet.
I use the Target app to pay in store, but it comes with the red card 5% discount 🫤

Reactions: Duckit

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2007
Podcast transcripts are really good, not absolutely perfect but comparable to Whisper. The only thing it doesn't do is distinguish different speakers, but I think it's tricky to combine that feature with high-quality AI speech recognition.
Have they finally fixed podcast setting “continuous play” (in settings app) turning itself on every day despite you turning it off? I think they have been keeping that bug alive just to annoy me.

• Love
Reactions: Infuspeur

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I use the Target app to pay in store, but it comes with the red card 5% discount 🫤
They give the discount on Apple gift cards so you can get an additional 5% on purchases made with them at an Apple store.

Plus they occasionally give a Target gift card with purchases so you get a double bonus.

Reactions: Seffers

System603

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2021
Europe
Wow, this is quite a big one. So many interesting changes and improvements especially for point version("minor") with higher number? We're not talking .1 or .2 when they usually catch up on the promises made for major version during the public iPhone/iOS event.

AiPone12mini

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2022
Tartu, Estonia, EU
, but dedicated apps that let users stream games from servers are now permitted.
And this is yet another good example why Sideloading is good thing as Apple can be less dictating what they allow or not and thus has to allow more apps officially in fear of sideloading. Thanks to sideloading i might even consider replacing my primary Android phone in future with Apple.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
The article needs to be updated....

Stolen Device Protection

In the Stolen Device Protection section of the Settings app, there is now an option to require a security delay always or only when away from familiar locations.

There is an actual path to find this (For those that are not used to digging through settings):
Settings > Face ID & Passcode >

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
At a recent WWDC they advised against Home tabs. Odd to see them here.
Makes more sense than the vague 'Listen Now', I can see why they've moved towards it

I'm not seeing any issue with home as a concept. It's where you start and is well understood, for example websites having a homepage, even iOS having a home screen

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And this is yet another good example why Sideloading is good thing as Apple can be less dictating what they allow or not and thus has to allow more apps officially in fear of sideloading. Thanks to sideloading i might even consider replacing my primary Android phone in future with Apple.
There is not a traditional side loading. So if that’s what you are thinking, that’s not the implementation.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Glad I’m not in the Eu and not having to side load. I know it’s not mandatory but I roll my eyes at how much ppl are trying to make iOS behave like android.

Please chill with the Mac vs windows comparison. Not even the same.

Mother Nature

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
Colombia
Maybe with iOS 18 they'll introduce that feature

hot_ham_water

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
Major kb and dictation problems with iOS 17.4 (21E5195e): dictation is just broken; press mic button, mic icon appears at insert point, talk, nothing happens, no text appears, press mic button again, spinning circle over and over, no text appears. typing auto correct is spotty, double tap space for period also spotty, no predictive text.

Aasalas

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
Major kb and dictation problems with iOS 17.4 (21E5195e): dictation is just broken; press mic button, mic icon appears at insert point, talk, nothing happens, no text appears, press mic button again, spinning circle over and over, no text appears. typing auto correct is spotty, double tap space for period also spotty, no predictive text.
Yes! Finally some validation. I can’t find anything anywhere about this problem, but I’m having the exact same issue. Tried all the “fixes” online and nothing helps.

hot_ham_water

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
Weird update: still running the same beta (tho there is now a new one ready to install) and dictation is back, but in an older/different appearance. So something must have changed on the server side. See attached -- the mic button launches a huge area with no "stop" button. Dictation does work, and I can tap anywhere in the sound wave area to stop it listening. I'll report back once I've installed the new beta.

Attachments

• IMG_A64FA0D7FBE3-1.jpeg
    IMG_A64FA0D7FBE3-1.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 35

hot_ham_water

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
Weird update: still running the same beta (tho there is now a new one ready to install) and dictation is back, but in an older/different appearance. So something must have changed on the server side. See attached -- the mic button launches a huge area with no "stop" button. Dictation does work, and I can tap anywhere in the sound wave area to stop it listening. I'll report back once I've installed the new beta.
can confirm iOS 17.4 beta (21E5200d) dictation is fixed and operating as before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.