Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After updating to iOS 17.4, Apple Card users who want to track their real-time spending with budgeting apps will have more opportunities to do so. iOS 17.4 opens up real-time Apple Card transactions to third-party apps budgeting apps beyond Mint for the first time.

apple-card-feature2.jpg

Mint added support for the Apple Card back in 2022, but Apple did not provide the same integration to other third-party apps. Intuit folded Mint into Credit Karma at the beginning of the year, though, leaving former users not interested in Credit Karma without a way to track their Apple Card transactions. Apple Card, Apple Savings, and Apple Cash accounts can now be added to select budget apps.

With Mint accounts set to shut down on March 23, Apple has expanded Apple Card support to other third-party apps just in time for people to adopt a new service. So far, budgeting apps Monarch, YNAB, and Copilot have added Apple Card support.

Article Link: iOS 17.4 Lets Budget Apps Read Real-Time Apple Card Transaction Info

Last edited:

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
I ended up moving from Apple savings to something else for a better interest rate, but the lack of integration through Copilot definitely factored into the decision.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Can't we have a service like Mint where you don't have to pay for the ability to track your own money? That's why I used Mint in the first place. I'm tired of being monetized for every single thing I want to do. Enough!

Huh. I'm actually sick of companies offering free services with opaque business models -- charge me for your service and provide a month to month option, please, so I can be sure you won't take my money and leave me with 11 months of crummy service.

I'm very mad Mint never offered anything besides a $.99 ad free plan (that only turned off mobile ads). I would gladly have paid $100 per year for it. Now I'm paying $50 to Monarch…and $50 to Quicken, at least until I determine which sucks the least.

The real cost with any of these apps is the 2+ hours it takes to set up all your bank accounts, investment accounts, etc.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Purchase history is sensitive info, but this data simply available to developers via API and platform-specific SDKs.

The only way to get it is using iOS wallet app and manually exporting and sharing the importing the monthly data.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Now we just need credit karma to hurry up and update their app before the 23rd.
Presumably Apple will need to allo
Can't we have a service like Mint where you don't have to pay for the ability to track your own money? That's why I used Mint in the first place. I'm tired of being monetized for every single thing I want to do. Enough!
You have to pay for all of theme. Mint you paid with all your data they sold. I would much rather pay a few dollars a month than have my data sold and used to potentially target me later. Services cost money to run especially something as complicated as financial apps. Expect to pay for the services you use or if you want a free option where they sell your data there is Credit Karma for that. Just don't expect many feature improvements over the years as like Mint it's not trying to be a great app, just good enough for people to sign up and get there data to sell.

Reactions: RealE

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
If I try this feature in the Every Dollar app, will it inform me that I need to have plastic surgery? ;)

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
I switched to Monarch a few months ago. I used Copilot a year or two ago. Mint for the last XX years too…

I loved Quicken back on the mac in the late 90s, early 2000s. Monarch feels like the modern version of that. Its my current favorite so very happy that it has this now!

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL

Like was discussed in another thread about Apple's bean counting, the fault here lies with shareholders of these companies expecting infinite growth. Everything must turn a profit, and quickly, and be higher than before or be a record in every successive quarter or it's a failure. Woefully unrealistic.

Nekronos

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2024
Folks, it's not that hard to budget and track spending yourself via excel or whatever spreadsheet software you prefer. With exception to perhaps those who have 20+ credit cards and a high amount of variable discretionary spend, the streamlining these subscription apps provide is really unnecessary.

Also, Fidelity offers integration with financial accounts including credit cards through it's planning section for free for those who don't like credit karma/intuit.

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
I agree. But then it also begs the question.. how did they make money? Surely it wasn’t from selling off my purchase history and habits… surely?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Services like Mint require a million+ dollar investment just to build the app. That money needs to come back to them somehow, so free-for-users is unrealistic.

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I switched to Monarch a few months ago. I used Copilot a year or two ago. Mint for the last XX years too…

I loved Quicken back on the mac in the late 90s, early 2000s. Monarch feels like the modern version of that. Its my current favorite so very happy that it has this now!
I started using Monarch a few months ago also. I used to use RocketMoney instead and have tried Mint and a few others. Monarch is undoubetedly the best I've used. I got it free for six months, but will re-up when it's over. The UI is great and it's just useful and straightforward.

If anyone wants to try, PM me and I can send you a referral for a free month. For those who are complaining about having to pay, use a spreadsheet, they're free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.