Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I don't know if this is new, but my phone unlocked my watch this morning - I put my watch on after charging but didn't manually unlock it. I unlocked my phone to check something and it unlocked my watch. My watch is set to unlock my phone, but this is the first time it's gone the other way.

Been around forever

Reactions: johaen8

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
Playing music through the built in speakers which i rarely do on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, the sound definitely seem richer. 🔈

Reactions: Brad7

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Playing music through the built in speakers which i rarely do on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, the sound definitely seem richer. 🔈

Was this advertised or is this a placebo-inducing joke, because I just fired up a track on the 14 Pro Max speakers and it does sound a little more solid, unless that’s just a result of reading your post before giving it a shot. 😜

Reactions: matrix07

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
Was this advertised or is this a placebo-inducing joke, because I just fired up a track on the 14 Pro Max speakers and it does sound a little more solid, unless that’s just a result of reading your post before giving it a shot. 😜
🇬🇧Placebo….I don’t own any of their tracks, but I might look them up. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: GermanSuplex

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Huh. It's never happened to me before!

Can confirm it’s been around for a few years (2015)

Now I’ll blow your mind: it works the other way too!

Sarpent

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
A shame, I liked the old way. I had one Face for work, one for exercise and one for daily use, and I swiftly switched between them as the situation was appropriate. I'll have to figure out a new way now.
I use my phone the same way. I typically keep 3 watch faces beside each other with particular complications on each watch face. One face is for health-related complications. The second face is for work-related complications. The third face is for workout complications. Prior to watchOS 10, switching between them was a simple swipe, and I did it multiple times per day. Now, Apple seems to view switching watch faces as so uncommon that it should be MODAL. Now it's an edit task where you have to long press to get an edit window in order to change faces. Three long steps instead of one instant step is extremely cumbersome and a major loss of functionality for many people who really use their Apple Watch.

If switching watch faces was really an issue where folks would switch faces by mistake, they could have at least given a setting to turn it on and off. Instead they removed it completely. I installed the release version of iOS 17 yesterday, and my watch has lost the feature that I use the most. I really wish I hadn't "upgraded."

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I use my phone the same way. I typically keep 3 watch faces beside each other with particular complications on each watch face. One face is for health-related complications. The second face is for work-related complications. The third face is for workout complications. Prior to watchOS 10, switching between them was a simple swipe, and I did it multiple times per day. Now, Apple seems to view switching watch faces as so uncommon that it should be MODAL. Now it's an edit task where you have to long press to get an edit window in order to change faces. Three long steps instead of one instant step is extremely cumbersome and a major loss of functionality for many people who really use their Apple Watch.

If switching watch faces was really an issue where folks would switch faces by mistake, they could have at least given a setting to turn it on and off. Instead they removed it completely. I installed the release version of iOS 17 yesterday, and my watch has lost the feature that I use the most. I really wish I hadn't "upgraded."

To changes faces, all you have to do is long press on the current face for a brief moment (maybe a half second) until the switching mode activates and then swipe left or right.

It’s not that big of a change. And it’s certainly not cumbersome as you characterize it. This will prevent a lot of accidental switches.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I don't know if this is new, but my phone unlocked my watch this morning - I put my watch on after charging but didn't manually unlock it. I unlocked my phone to check something and it unlocked my watch. My watch is set to unlock my phone, but this is the first time it's gone the other way.
This is not new - it's been there since at least iOS 15.

In the watch app, this is controlled by Settings > Passcode > Unlock with iPhone

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I’ll chime in as one of those folks that HATED looking down and seeing a new face from an accidental swipe.

And it’s always when I really need info on my main watch face. Hah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: macrlz9 and Ansath

Sarpent

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
I’ll chime in as one of those folks that HATED looking down and seeing a new face from an accidental swipe.

And it’s always when I really need info on my main watch face. Hah.
I do understand that inadvertent swipes on the watch face sometimes happen, but this is a feature that I used at least 5 or 6 times a day. Apple could have solved this with a setting. Instead, they moved what some power users found as an important, frequently used feature behind a modal set of actions.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
To changes faces, all you have to do is long press on the current face for a brief moment (maybe a half second) until the switching mode activates and then swipe left or right.
AND you have to tap for exiting the edit mode. People often forget that.
So it is 3 gestures instead of one.

Sarpent

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
lol what’s the deal with the pronoun field
You can't universally disable it in your contact book. I don't subscribe to the notion that I can't choose by default what information is germane about a contact. It's deeper than that, but it basically boils down to, I paid $1,000 for a phone. I expect a certain degree of granular control.

It also seems that you can not-make and turn off Contact Poster sharing with others/your contacts. But you can't keep that mess from taking over the call portion of your screen when you're using the Call app in iOS. Like when you want to focus on the phone UX/UI and a small portrait (frankly just a name) would do.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It also seems that you can not-make and turn off Contact Poster sharing with others/your contacts. But you can't keep that mess from taking over the call portion of your screen when you're using the Call app in iOS. Like when you want to focus on the phone UX/UI and a small portrait (frankly just a name) would do.

What??

A) if you don’t enter something, it doesn’t show up as a field in your contacts, so not sure why any option would matter too much.

B) I’m confused by your whole second paragraph as again, simply more options (including just leaving the name or a simple monogram)

Reactions: adrianlondon

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
What??

A) if you don’t enter something, it doesn’t show up as a field in your contacts, so not sure why any option would matter too much.

B) I’m confused by your whole second paragraph as again, simply more options (including just leaving the name or a simple monogram)
It looks like manufactured outrage to me.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Did I imagine iOS 17 having a feature where you can reorder your favourited Health data so that it shows up how you want it and not alphabetically?

ian6969

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
iPadOS: you can now completely disable multiscreen modes, I think this is new? Options are now Off, Split View & Slide Over, Stage Manager. Great if - like me - you don’t use them but kept activating Split View accidentally.

Reactions: klasma

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
It looks like manufactured outrage to me.
It isn’t. And just because someone doesn’t understand a criticism or it doesn’t register with them because it’s not a big thing for them, doesn’t mean it’s manufactured.

I just came across my first contact card in the wild today. Nothing crazy of outrageous, but if I get a call from this person, his whole face will act as a backdrop behind the Call App UI. Unless you modify this poster yourself, then it puts whatever the recipient places there.

In this case nothing inappropriate but the image is quite bright and the UI don’t is also not dark so the contrast isn’t high. While I’d be okay seeing the name at the top and I’d love to see my contacts wonderful picture that they thoughtfully picked out to represent themselves in my contact card, it would be nice to have an option where that picture is once again in a reasonably small bubble.

My choices are have a whole face all over my screen, which I won’t do. A flat color that takes over my whole screen with the name at the top (you can at least delete the dumb monogram in the monogram poster) or you can make something with wild colored fonts, gradient backgrounds, etc. It’s a variation of the photo poster. Basically consumes the whole Call App UI. It’s not clean, it’s not professional, and it interferes with the readability of the UI at a glance.

Also if you chose this photo poster your contact card now has a persons huge picture taking a third of the contact card and you must scroll down to get more information and truncate the waste of space in the UI. It’s poor UX design because you can’t scale it back. You can’t tone it down, and you can’t revert it to the previous manner of contact images because, frankly it’s less distracting and more professional if your phone hangs out on your desk or something in an environment with other coworkers.

It’s not all horrible. You can set the contact card to ask before changes are pushed. That’s great because a user can’t update automatically with an inappropriate picture. You in your bathing suit by the pool or beach, isn’t an appropriate contact picture.

And I can open the poster and customize it so that one of my more eccentric friends can’t update their contact card with hot some hot colored gradient background and their weird Memoji pic.

I can at least axe that. It’s possible that was my original thought. Was that anyone could push hot garbage to represent themselves on caller ID and you’d have to live with whatever delusions/slice of weird they fathom. But thankfully you do have final say over the data entered on the caller ID poster (which is nonsense if you really don’t want it).

TLDR; you don’t have to be forced to take a photo poster ID that’s inappropriate. Apple should give more options than just Poster Card ID.

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.