Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
I feel like SMS texts didn’t used to display link previews. Is this new with iOS 17?

Also, I’m noticing read receipts in SMS group texts. Also new?

I can also now change name and photo for SMS group texts.

Anything else SMS-related that’s new?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Looks like adding contacts is now an option too.

I posted this over on the 17.0.2 thread but it probably really belongs here. Is this New?
f45f163f6b9b74e0c8d2d89e2608524d.jpg

Reactions: MozMan68

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
You can't universally disable it in your contact book. I don't subscribe to the notion that I can't choose by default what information is germane about a contact. It's deeper than that, but it basically boils down to, I paid $1,000 for a phone. I expect a certain degree of granular control.
Correct my if I’m wrong but as far as I understand it’s like Nickname field in that you have to intentionally input it to have it shown?

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
You can't universally disable it in your contact book. I don't subscribe to the notion that I can't choose by default what information is germane about a contact. It's deeper than that, but it basically boils down to, I paid $1,000 for a phone. I expect a certain degree of granular control.

It also seems that you can not-make and turn off Contact Poster sharing with others/your contacts. But you can't keep that mess from taking over the call portion of your screen when you're using the Call app in iOS. Like when you want to focus on the phone UX/UI and a small portrait (frankly just a name) would do.
You also don’t have to fill the pronoun space in. I never save anyone’s email but the field is there. This sounds less like you want more control (which you have by choosing not to leave it blank) and more of
An issue with the word pronoun and ideology behind it.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I like the fact that only iPhones sold released within the last 5 years works with iOS 17.

So that is 1 of 10 smartphones in my country.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ansath

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
Correct my if I’m wrong but as far as I understand it’s like Nickname field in that you have to intentionally input it to have it shown?
You're likely correct. And I stand corrected in the fact that I can choose to manually update contact photos. Which means that I can choose to make manual changes and not even allow a user's Contact Poster and I can still edit the contact data in the contact card on my device.

It might all come over when sharing the contact card. But the phone user does have the ability to change and override any data to conform with the use case that fits their own needs best.

That was my only concern and it appears to not be warranted thankfully. You have control over the amount of third party narcissism that comes to your device.

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
Manufactured outrage, that’s why.
No. Stop with your nonsense, non-argument. Just because it's not an issue for you and you don't agree with the complaint; manufactured outrage isn't a counterargument.

Either make an argument or don't. But making noise simply because you don't agree isn't solving a problem and it's not an argument either. It's just sticking your finger in your ear and saying "nah-uh"!

It's utter adolescent means of discourse. Please make a case or knock it off.

You pulled that gaslight on me too. Like I didn't know that I was pissed off because there are elements of iOS contact changes that interfere with the phone calling app UI when certain types of background pics are put in place by the OS, making contrast and at a glance visibility reduced. I made that complaint and outlined with specific details.

I wasn't frustrated about it. I was PISSED off and there wasn't thing one manufactured or fake about it. But the gaslight brigade on this particular thread just has to come in and white knight for Apple regarding this particular so called "feature". Yet there can't be a legit counterpoint made.

The caveat is that it's just one or two. There are folks here who bring up a solution or point out something where there are areas that it isn't as bad as expected. Go up three posts and you will see that I stand corrected, and I acknowledged that. I am grown enough to admit that. But if gaslighting someone into trying to believe they aren't pissed about something is less than useful. And not all the cases where a criticism is made on this forum is Apple perfect in the choices they made.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
No. Stop with your nonsense, non-argument. Just because it's not an issue for you and you don't agree with the complaint; manufactured outrage isn't a counterargument.

Either make an argument or don't. But making noise simply because you don't agree isn't solving a problem and it's not an argument either. It's just sticking your finger in your ear and saying "nah-uh"!

It's utter adolescent means of discourse. Please make a case or knock it off.

You pulled that gaslight on me too. Like I didn't know that I was pissed off because there are elements of iOS contact changes that interfere with the phone calling app UI when certain types of background pics are put in place by the OS, making contrast and at a glance visibility reduced. I made that complaint and outlined with specific details.

I wasn't frustrated about it. I was PISSED off and there wasn't thing one manufactured or fake about it. But the gaslight brigade on this particular thread just has to come in and white knight for Apple regarding this particular so called "feature". Yet there can't be a legit counterpoint made.

The caveat is that it's just one or two. There are folks here who bring up a solution or point out something where there are areas that it isn't as bad as expected. Go up three posts and you will see that I stand corrected, and I acknowledged that. I am grown enough to admit that. But if gaslighting someone into trying to believe they aren't pissed about something is less than useful. And not all the cases where a criticism is made on this forum is Apple perfect in the choices they made.

Sonce you obviously did not follow the trail of this specific topic of conversation and picked my comment out of context and went totally flying off the handle like an adolescent…. (proving my comment to be bang on the money) It’s an OPTIONAL field. Obviously there was demand for it (I’ve seen posts over the last few years from people wanting it), so why berate Apple for giving the option, when it’s not compulsory?

That’s the point, but then that gets ignore by people that want a reason to complain about Apple being ‘Woke’ - which comes back to my point: Manufacted outrage.

I’m not using that optional feature and it doesn’t bother me being there. Same as other OPTIONAL things in iOS that I don’t use and don’t care about.

It seems like you’ve hopped on this bandwagon to specifically attack me, and gaslight others into thinking I’m a nasty person, because you didn’t like my comment to you on a different matter, though, so to be honest, I’m doubtful as to if your opposing opinion is genuine or just out of spite towards me. I don’t waste much time on people that bring baggage from other discussions to re-hash them under another thread, so I’ll not be replying to you further.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
Sonce you obviously did not follow the trail of this specific topic of conversation and picked my comment out of context and went totally flying off the handle like an adolescent…. (proving my comment to be bang on the money) It’s an OPTIONAL field. Obviously there was demand for it (I’ve seen posts over the last few years from people wanting it), so why berate Apple for giving the option, when it’s not compulsory?

That’s the point, but then that gets ignore by people that want a reason to complain about Apple being ‘Woke’ - which comes back to my point: Manufacted outrage.

I’m not using that optional feature and it doesn’t bother me being there. Same as other OPTIONAL things in iOS that I don’t use and don’t care about.

It seems like you’ve hopped on this bandwagon to specifically attack me, and gaslight others into thinking I’m a nasty person, because you didn’t like my comment to you on a different matter, though, so to be honest, I’m doubtful as to if your opposing opinion is genuine or just out of spite towards me. I don’t waste much time on people that bring baggage from other discussions to re-hash them under another thread, so I’ll not be replying to you further.
What I don't understand here is it seems almost everything this person was complaining about, from seeing pictures to pronouns, remain completely optional. I have contacts where the only thing I have on them is their name and a phone number. I get a blank card with their initials as a monogram, and that's it. If they call me, that's exactly what I see. There is no additional info, because I don't have any additional info. So this whole idea of "having third party control" or w/e seems odd because this already existed? Unless I didn't understand what they were having issues with.

But from what I've seen, all the new things added with iOS 17 in regards to contacts are totally optional and never have to be used if unwanted.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
But from what I've seen, all the new things added with iOS 17 in regards to contacts are totally optional and never have to be used if unwanted.

Exactly. It’s optional!!

Those people won’t have kicked off when Dark Mode was introduced, or the address bar being at the bottom of Safari - because they’re optional. Yet Pronouns being made available as an option, and some people lose their marbles. It’s not hard to see what their issue is.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Is it new to iOS 17 that you can have a short cut action for when you leave a certain wifi network? I swear it did not exist on iOS 16 because I always wanted to do "Enter Wifi X = enable flight mode" "Leave Wifi X = disable flight mode" (the last part wasn't possible before and is now) but I can do it now! Great

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Is it new to iOS 17 that you can have a short cut action for when you leave a certain wifi network? I swear it did not exist on iOS 16 because I always wanted to do "Enter Wifi X = enable flight mode" "Leave Wifi X = disable flight mode" (the last part wasn't possible before and is now) but I can do it now! Great
It's been so long since I was on iOS 16, but I'm pretty sure it was an option there.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
In the Files app when you are viewing PDFs you can now hide the navigation sidebar by tapping on the page x of y info. Yay! This wasn’t possible on iPad Pro 11 for a couple of iPadOS versions.
View attachment 2288183

View attachment 2288184
I don’t have that side bar on iPadOS 14 (there’s only a narrow overlay maybe 2-3 % of the screen width), so that must have been from iPadOS 15 on.

This is the iOS subforum, by the way, there is a separate iPadOS subforum.

Reactions: Populus

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

It’s not new but it’s been updated to allow this automation to occur immediately without needing confirmation first

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.