Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iOS 17 update has a handful of new features for the Notes and Reminders app, making them more useful for those who prefer the default Apple apps. There are no major overhauls, but the additions do add to the utility of the apps and are changes that some have wanted for some time.

iOS-17-General-Notes-Feature.jpg

This guide highlights everything that's new in both the Notes and Reminders apps.

Notes

Linking Notes

It's now possible to link one note to another note, useful for connecting two related notes to one another for Wiki-style documentation.

linking-notes-ios-17.jpg

Inline PDFs and Scanned Documents

The Notes app supports inline PDFs, which means you can insert a PDF into Notes and then read, annotate, and collaborate on PDFs.

ipados-17-pdfs-in-notes.jpg

This functionality also works for scanned documents, and it is available on both the iPhone and the iPad.

Updated Formatting

Notes has gained an option for creating block quotes, plus there's a new Monostyled format to choose.

Pages

A Note from the iPhone or iPad can be opened up in the Pages app, providing additional layout and formatting options.

Reminders

Grocery Sorting

When you create a list with the new "Groceries" list type, you can input various foods and sundries and have them organized automatically by category. The organization makes it easier to find what you need when you're at the grocery store.

ios-17-reminders-app.jpg

Available category types include Produce, Breads & Cereals, Frozen Foods, Snacks & Candy, Meat, Dairy, Eggs & Cheese, Bakery, Baking Items, Household Items, Personal Care & Health, and Wine, Beer & Spirits.

If the ‌iPhone‌ doesn't recognize where an item should go, it remains uncategorized. It does recognize specific brands and types of food like "Sour Patch Kids," so it is a fairly robust solution for grocery shopping. You can also create your own categories in the grocery list.

Custom Sections

Sections or categories are turned on by default for the Grocery list, but any Reminder list created in iOS 17 can have sections added to it.

reminders-sections.jpg

In any list, tap on the three dots to get to the options interface. From there, tap on New Section to add a section to the list. You'll need to manually organize items in the list in each section, but it can be done with simple drag and drop gestures.

Column View

In the same options interface, there's a new "View as Columns" option that will show each section in a side-by-side view. You can swap between column and list view in the options menu.

reminders-ios-17-column-view.jpg

Interactive Widgets

iOS 17 brings interactive widgets to the Lock Screen and the Home Screen, and Reminders is one of the built-in apps that can best take advantage of this feature. Reminders in the Reminders widget can be checked off right from the Home Screen or the Lock Screen without having to open up the Reminders app.

reminders-widget.jpg

Early Reminders

If you add a reminder with a specific date, you can opt to receive an early reminder to get a warning ahead of time. You can get a notification 1 day before, 2 days before, 1 week before, 2 weeks before, 1 month before, 3 months before, and 6 months before, plus there's also an option to set a custom early reminder time.

early-reminder-ios-17.jpg

Read More

Additional info on the new features in the iOS 17 update can be found in our iOS 17 roundup.

Article Link: iOS 17 Notes and Reminders Features

Last edited:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Notes replaced Evernote for me and glad to be getting new features. Reminders replaced todoist for my todo list app. Originally, I used Things then upgraded to Todoist and in the last year Reminders has what I really need.

I have not used a Grocery list shopping application since the first year of the App Store. I would use this functionality with Reminders.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Notes replaced Evernote for me and glad to be getting new features. Reminders replaced todoist for my todo list app. Originally, I used Things then upgraded to Todoist and in the last year Reminders has what I really need.

I have not used a Grocery list shopping application since the first year of the App Store. I would use this functionality with Reminders.
I use Siri to add things to my Grocery list about every day either using the Watch or HomePod.
When I empty a box or jar it’s so easy just to update my list at that moment rather than making a list from scratch before I leave the house.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
The 'Early Reminder' function brings further parity with OmniFocus, and is similar to their concept 'defer'. Very useful for things like bill payments, which have an absolute deadline but you might want to, or can, do them earlier. I left OmniFocus a couple of years ago, because I spent longer fiddling with it and learning how to use it than actually doing stuff, and now use iOS Reminders exclusively for GTD. It really does just work..

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I can’t wait to start using the Reminders app for my grocery list. For the time being, I’ve used the Notes app with my own categories for my grocery list. Every other day, I add something that we are either low on or no more of.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Notes is one of the most underrated iOS apps. It started off as a super basic little notepad thing, complete with fake handwriting font, but every single release for 10 years it's gotten better and better. Images, formatting, checklists, sketch support, tables, shared collaborative notes, hashtags. I use it for so many things at this point -- and it's all synced with my Mac. This is the kind of low-key thing that keeps me in the Apple ecosystem.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I find that tweaks to frequently used apps like these are often the most useful.

I do a lot with Notes.
Features like opening a Note in Pages is something I’ve wanted for awhile, for example.

Kudos Apple!

I use Notes, daily. Love it on my iPad mini 6 + Pencil 2. Drives me nuts that not all features are available across OSes. Hopefully that too comes to this update (maybe Pages compatibility is how they’re tackling). Regardless, I’ll take any Notes attention Apple wants to exert.

nioerdr

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2023
At this point all I want is to merge or at least sync Calendar.app and Reminders.app…

I want to see my scheduled REMINDERS in my CALENDAR, similar to Fantastical or Sorted.

Until then, both Apps remain solutions that I want to use so badly, but won‘t because it’s just inconvenient.

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
At this point all I want is to merge or at least sync Calendar.app and Reminders.app…

I want to see my scheduled REMINDERS in my CALENDAR, similar to Fantastical or Sorted.

Until then, both Apps remain solutions that I want to use so badly, but won‘t because it’s just inconvenient.

Completely agree that is functionality which should be there, but am using both apps to my heart's content anyway. This would be such a nice addition though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.