Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With every update to the iOS operating system, Apple adds new features to the built-in apps like Safari. In iOS 17, Safari gains new privacy functionality, improvements to search, updated Siri integration, and more.

iOS-17-General-Safari-Feature.jpg

This guide highlights all of the iOS 17 Safari feature additions.

Profiles

In iOS 17, Apple expanded on Tab Groups with a Profile feature that is designed to let you separate your browsing for different use cases. You can create a "Work" profile and a "Personal" profile, for example, so all of your work-related browsing is kept separate from your personal browsing.

ios-17-safari-profiles.jpg

Each profile has separate cookies, browsing history, extensions, and website data. You can turn off cookies and pop-ups on one profile, for instance, leaving them on for another profile. Profiles also have separate Favorites and Tab Groups.

safari-profiles-set-up-ios-17.jpg

Profiles can be set up by following these instructions:
  1. Open up the Settings app.
  2. Scroll down to Safari.
  3. Tap on New Profile.
  4. Select an icon, name, and background color for the profile.
  5. Choose your settings for Favorites and Tabs.
  6. Tap Done.
From there, you can edit profiles by tapping into them in the Settings app. In Safari, tap on the Tabs icon with two overlapping squares, then tap on the middle icon and choose the "Profile" option to change which profile is active.

Locked Private Browsing Window

Private browsing windows are now locked and require secondary authentication to unlock and access. If you hand your unlocked phone over to someone and they attempt to open your Safari private browsing tab, access will be denied without a second Face ID/Touch ID scan or a passcode.

safari-private-browsing-ios-17.jpg

The Face ID/Touch ID requirement keeps the private browsing tab private even if someone else has access to your iPhone or iPad. The private browsing tab is locked by default in iOS 17, but the Face ID/Touch ID requirement can be turned off by following these steps:
  1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Tap on Safari.
  3. Scroll down to Require Face ID (or Touch ID) to Unlock Private Browsing.
  4. Tap the toggle to turn it off and confirm with a Face ID/Touch ID scan. When disabled, the toggle will be gray.
Private Search Engine

In iOS 16 you can choose a default search engine to use with Safari, but in iOS 17, you can choose separate search engines for standard browsing and private browsing.

ios-17-private-search-engine.jpg

Options include Google, Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, and Ecosia. Leaving it on Default will use the same search engine that's set for standard browsing.
  3. Tap on Private Search Engine.
  4. Tap on one of the Search Engine options to select it.
  5. Exit out of the Settings.
Tracking URLs

URLs in iOS 17 can be stripped of all tracking information appended to the end of the URL so that websites cannot track your browsing using URL identifiers. This function is enabled automatically for private browsing in iOS 17, but it can be turned on for all browsing.

safari-tracking-all-browsing-ios-17.jpg

Here's how to remove URL-based tracking for all browser windows:
  3. Tap on Advanced.
  4. Tap on Advanced Tracking and Fingerprinting Protection.
  5. Toggle on "All Browsing."
Turning this on will ensure that all URLs opened in Safari will strip the additional tracking information that's sometimes pasted on to the end of a URL.

Hide IP Address From Websites

In iOS 17, there is an option to hide IP address from both trackers and websites or only trackers when using the iCloud Private Relay feature. With Trackers and Websites selected, IP address will be kept cloaked and websites will not be able to determine your location using that information.

ios-17-safari-hide-ip-address.jpg

In iOS 16, iCloud Private Relay was designed to hide IP address primarily from known trackers, so this is an expansion of the feature.

Search Improvements

Search is more responsive in iOS 17, so it brings up search results more quickly. It also brings up a wi... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: iOS 17 Safari Features: Profiles, Locked Private Browser, Shared Passwords, Updated Tracking Prevention and More

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
all looks pretty useful ...

Question: so let's just say I create a profile "social media" and "shopping", and let's just say I use Facebook - will Facebook be able to see which shopping sites/items I might have looked at in the other profile?
Just think of different profiles as different browsers altogether.

That's why I use 4 browsers on my Mac right now. Two main and two for less used accounts.

With this feature in safari. I will probably be able to get rid of at least two of these other browsers.

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
Hide IP Address From Websites

In iOS 17, there is an option to hide IP address from both trackers and websites or only trackers when using the iCloud Private Relay feature. With Trackers and Websites selected, IP address will be kept cloaked and websites will not be able to determine your location using that information.
This is not new, it's how Private Relay has worked since launch.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I hope there's a new feature that was not mention that would be "crash less".
Since the last maybe 2 years, my Safari crashes and the page reloads, when I scroll down too fast.
It happened on my iPhone 12, happens on my 14 Pro. It happened during the entire iOS 16 cycle, and probably also iOS 15.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Looks great. I just hope it doesn’t further clutter the interface. Tab groups are already confusing enough for average people who don’t understand the difference with bookmarks.

Similar with tags in reminders or files, focus modes, stage manager, etc. Apple needs to walk a fine line here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.