Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
Updates have been quite underwhelming for the last ten years or so. A better Siri would be a much needed feature, but it’s hardly groundbreaking as there are better alternatives already out there, it would be just about time Apple caught up with the industry. Same about RCS. hopefully the ‘biggest update in history’ will also bring something genuinely new and exciting, not just stuff that has been available elsewhere for months or even years.

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
"Who’s speaking?" Ummm, Siri, it's me (very deep voice) and my wife (normal female voice). Why do you have to ask me who I am twice a week???

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: centauratlas

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Doesn’t sound like much of an upgrade to me if those are the headlining features. How about fixing the keyboard first… when I try to edit my comment here and I tap in between words, half the time it inserts the text cursor and the other half it selects an entire word. So frustrating.
Or fix the new amazing Autocorrect introduced in iOS 17. Didn’t address any of the bugs and annoyances. Still dumber than a bag of rocks. And if you type in multiple languages in iOS, you’re still a second class citizen.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
"Smarter Siri" isn't hard to do when Siri barely left the warehouse with a single braincell and hasn't improved much since.
Whenever we need a good laugh, we just ask Siri a question. The answer is always laugh-worthy!

One time I asked Siri who the Speaker of the House was, and the answer was the status of the speakers in my house (which, interestingly, I don't have any Apple speakers or homekit-capable ones). She's very entertaining.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I used to be excited about these updates, but now I get nervous.

My first thought is what devices are they dropping support for next? I mean Apple is the best when it comes to updating old OSes, I mean they had an update for IOS 12 last year. But still it essentially means those devices are still being left behind. It would help if Apple clearly laid out what support they will over devices over time like other manufacturers do. I don't care about new features on old devices, security is what's important to me.

Then it's just more bloat and unnecessary crap being tacked on to the new OSes. I don't need a dedicated journaling app. again Apple is different from other manufacturers (looking at you Samsung) that they let us remove these apps.

I just wish Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc. all these software companies take a break from constantly putting out new releases. We don't need a major update every damn year. Focus on security, bug fixes and performance improvements. This is ridiculous. This is endemic across the tech industry, where you have a culture of constantly wanting to push out new code and releases, regardless if it's good or bad for the end users. For example, You have banking websites where they change the entire UI for no reason one day and you're spending time dealing with weird jankiness when you're just trying to pay your bills.
Sadly, the marketing people are running the company now. Releasing a few OS every year keeps the marking hype high, at the sacrifice of software quality.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Updates have been quite underwhelming for the last ten years or so. A better Siri would be a much needed feature, but it’s hardly groundbreaking as there are better alternatives already out there, it would be just about time Apple caught up with the industry. Same about RCS. hopefully the ‘biggest update in history’ will also bring something genuinely new and exciting, not just stuff that has been available elsewhere for months or even years.
If you find the updates underwhelming for 10 (!) years, then I hope you switched to Android a long time ago.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Wonder when the next UI update will be. Adding a bit of dimension back to the interface would be nice. It’s been 10 years! Can’t believe iOS 7 was that long ago.

RCS is nice, don’t really care though, the few Android people I text just share stuff through WhatsApp anyways and I doubt that will really change. Reliability improvements and a bug-fix oriented release would be nice.

truth_speech

Suspended
Jan 27, 2024
If you find the updates underwhelming for 10 (!) years, then I hope you switched to Android a long time ago.
Yeah, I don't understand that, if you didn't like iOS, you could have switched.

However, Apple fans tend to think of Android as worse simply because it's not Apple made. Mark my words, if it were Apple's creation, many in this forum would have considered it the best thing in the world.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
RCS will be nice since we're a mixed iPhone/Android household (iPhone, iPad and two android phones). Smarter Siri I care nothing about, nor do I care about AI in the slightest.

Biggest in years? We'll see...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.