Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
From the lock screen you can swipe left and open the camera also. Right now, if you have the newest iPhone, there are four ways to access the camera from the lock screen: the icon on the bottom right, swipe to the left, control centre, and the action button. It really is overkill.
the flashlight is more annoying than the camera shortcut, it's so easy to activate it just by holding the phone

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Nuke the whole Settings app and rework it from scratch. Right now they just keep throwing more and more settings into places that don’t make sense anymore because it’s basically 10+ years old.

Do something with the Messages app besides stickers.

Also do something with the Home Screen, I don’t know what exactly but something different

You are absolutely right about the Settings app. Home screen already got a new life with widgets imo.

onemorechris

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
London
Apple was very early with Siri but it’s hard to overstate how much they messed it up. Apple doesn’t fail often but when they do, they really do fail hard. Siri is crap, truly crap. Chat GPT is better than Siri at everything and in every way. Siri has been unloved st dea in the water for a decade and it feel likes like chatGPT is only just getting started. For an update to impressive, Apple would have to surpass this by not only equalling everything chatGPT can do but also do it in an Apple way with deep integration in to their systems. If anyone can do it, Apple can. the question is, will they?

Account25476

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2021
From the article of Gurman:
  1. A revamped version of Siri that is more intelligent and able to take advantage of a new AI system that incorporates large language model technology
  2. AI integration in the Messages app that can “field questions and auto-complete sentences”
  3. New AI features for Apple Music to create “auto-generated playlists”
  4. Integrating generative AI into iWork apps, including Keynote and Pages
  5. Adding generative AI features to Xcode to let developers “write new applications more quickly

1. Basically what Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, or Bixby already do since years.
  2. Basically what Chat GPT and Google do since 1 year.
  3. Basically what Spotify does since years.
  4. Basically what Google G Suite offers since years.
  5. Basically what GitHub Autopilot Code offers since years.
They're basically trying to keep up, but I doubt (although as a customer I hope so) Apple's technology put in iOS 18 will be better that what is already available from others since years.

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
Frankly if they would delete all references to Siri in iOS, that would be a meaningful update. I am not convinced it will ever be worth using.

Reactions: chsx

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Doesn’t sound like much of an upgrade to me if those are the headlining features. How about fixing the keyboard first… when I try to edit my comment here and I tap in between words, half the time it inserts the text cursor and the other half it selects an entire word. So frustrating.
For real. The AI text system is so bad. Too often it inserts the word I want to say in the middle of a typo’s word. It’s infuriating. Not a fan of the change. To me the best keyboard is the original.

Edit: as I was typing it was changing the entire paragraph. But of course, it’s now stopped so I can’t screen record it. Sigh. Freaking garbage Apple.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
For real. The AI text system is so bad. Too often it inserts the word I want to say in the middle of a typo’s word. It’s infuriating. Not a fan of the change. To me the best keyboard is the original.

Edit: as I was typing it was changing the entire paragraph. But of course, it’s now stopped so I can’t screen record it. Sigh. Freaking garbage Apple.

There seems to be a bug with the comment box on MR in general. Sometimes the sentence I just wrote is suddenly gone after I hit post reply (but shows it again when I click edit) or it just shows the same sentence I just wrote again and my actual words are gone. It’s weird

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
RCS and improved Siri are going to be significant changes, but I really wish they would add a number row to the keyboard. I know that will probably never, ever happen...

I just can’t wait until they redesign the look of the OS like they did in iOS 7

I wonder if they ever will at this point. I think the iOS 7 "look" and color choices have become so "iconic" that there may be no changing it.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
They said that about 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17.

As to their iphones, I would like to see Apple:

1. Bring back the Fade-In button for the alarms so the alarms can little by little get louder. Do the same with phone calls.

2. redesign the notification center. It's ridiculous. At the very least add a "Clear All" button that comes up immediately, even if there's only one notification.

3. Apple needs to change that when you tap on the phone notifications WILL NOT automatically dial back whoever called. It needs to only go into the phone app just like it does on all other apps.
All other notifications take you to the app that is notifying you.
Be consistent Apple. People are constantly dialing back spam and robo callers.

4. make it possible to dismiss Calendar and any notification from any app if you're in another app.
This goes for Calendar, News, Timers...whatever the app, you shouldn't have to go to the lock screen or be forced to tap the notification to get into the app sending it in order to simply dismiss a notification if you're in another app when it comes in just put a dismiss button there and it should be gone.

5. give us an LED visual on the front of the phone for notifications in addition to sound and vibration. Allow us to change the colors of the LED light based on what the notification app is.
The fine folks who like things the way they are can just leave this off and everything will be as is.

6. bring back the same intensity (or more) of the haptic feedback as it was when iOS 16 was first released.
Ever since then Apple has been reducing it to a point where you can barely even feel it.
Why not just make it possible for people to adjust the haptic feedback.
Right now it's almost imperceptible.
Those who are concerned with battery or simply don't like haptic feedback can leave it off.

7. make it possible to adjust volume for independent apps and settings and not this general thing they're doing.
Separate volume control for keyboard volume, music volume, ring volume, system volume, You Tube, notifications, emails.
I, for example, would love for the keyboard clicks and the lock sounds to be much louder than they are in relations with the rest of the volume in the phone and without it affecting the volume on the entire phone or the ring and notifications volume. It's silly of Apple to force it to be like this.

8. add suggestions from the address book as you start entering a phone number.

9. make it possible to customize the texting app in every conceivable way. Font size, bubble size shape color etc.

10. make it possible to schedule a text message to be sent at a certain time/date. This is a basic feature. Compose your message now and schedule it to be sent out when the time is right.

11. use an OS-wide clipboard to cut or copy multiple entries each ready to paste long pressing, at least the last 10 cut/copies should be possible. Also make cut and copy not expire until we, the users, clean it.
Also stop with the auto cleaning the cache, you should be able to copy text now and paste it tomorrow if you want to.

12. in Mail give us the option to NOT go to the next email when you are deleting an email but to go back to the inbox. Those who want to keep things the way they are should be able to turn this feature off.

13. make it possible to move the icons on the desktop anywhere you want to.

14. make it absolutely mandatory for app makers that they have to have a swipe from left to right in EVERY app throughout the app to navigate back. Having a tiny arrow button at the top left to go back and being able to swype back in other apps is pure nuts.

15. and my goodness Apple... allow us to cancel snooze before it comes on if we want to, and make it possible to have any snooze time we want in the alarm. Not just 9 minutes.

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
Apple's track record with Siri does not inspire confidence. I've ended up disabling it on my devices (which, of course, Apple makes a royal PITA to do). Ditto auto-complete. Gimmicky distractions. Not holding my breath that this will be any different.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
If you find the updates underwhelming for 10 (!) years, then I hope you switched to Android a long time ago.
10 years is about right as the last iOS they looked like a decent update was iOS 7. But no, I stuck with iOS for the time being, but I am often tempted to jump away from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.