Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I just hope they don't gear any new hardware upgrades towards AI-specific software. Would be nice to upgrade from my 14 Pro Max later this year, but not to a phone with hardware built around things I won't need or use.
I already saw MacRumors article trying to imply that a rumored neural processor enhancement with M4 and A18 would be necessary for some functionality. But all the intel based ChatGPT and like are all cloud based systems using no neural processing until possibly this year.

So I doubt IOS 18 or MacOS 15 that will be more AI based OS's will require a better neural processor in ARM SoC's.

Possibly that will reaffirm that iOS 18 will run on the same hardware as IOS 17.

Last edited:

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I already saw MacRumors article trying to imply that a rumored neural processor enhancement with M4 and A18 would be necessary for some functionality. But all the intel based ChatGPT and like are all could based systems using no neural processing until possibly this year.

So I doubt IOS 18 or MacOS 15 that will be more AI based OS's will require a better neural processor in ARM SoC's.
I think the only things that would require a better neural engine would be advanced native AI processes. I think every most supported devices will support most AI features, the better neural engine would only be required for native AI.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'd also like to see the default iCloud storage go up from 5gb. In this day with camera doing higher density, etc. 5 is a ridiculous amount - don't have to include the other features of the upgrade but increase storage minimum.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Another iOS 18 possibility has to do with the recent iOS 17.4 dropping support of PWA with other browsers for the EU.

The iOS system has traditionally provided support for Home Screen web apps by building directly on WebKit and its security architecture. Allowing other browsers to use something other then web kit for PWA's could be something they reactivated in the future IOS18?

Apple stated:
Addressing the complex security and privacy concerns associated with web apps using alternative browser engines would require building an entirely new integration architecture that does not currently exist in iOS and was not practical to undertake given the other demands of the DMA and the very low user adoption of Home Screen web apps. And so, to comply with the DMA’s requirements, we had to remove the Home Screen web apps feature in the EU.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Another iOS 18 possibility has to do with the recent iOS 17.4 dropping support of PWA with other browsers for the EU.

The iOS system has traditionally provided support for Home Screen web apps by building directly on WebKit and its security architecture. Allowing other browsers to use something other then web kit for PWA's could be something they reactivated in the future IOS18?

Apple stated:
Addressing the complex security and privacy concerns associated with web apps using alternative browser engines would require building an entirely new integration architecture that does not currently exist in iOS and was not practical to undertake given the other demands of the DMA and the very low user adoption of Home Screen web apps. And so, to comply with the DMA’s requirements, we had to remove the Home Screen web apps feature in the EU.
Yes, I think they quite possibly could implement something like this in iOS 18. 👍🏻. I think the stated reason also makes sense with this interpretation. They said that it would require a new system, and that system was not practical to implement in iOS 17.4 due to time constraints and higher priority issues (hence citing low user adoption because that meant it was a lower priority on their list of immediate things to address). This does not discount the possibility of such a system from being implemented in the future.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I'd also like to see the default iCloud storage go up from 5gb. In this day with camera doing higher density, etc. 5 is a ridiculous amount - don't have to include the other features of the upgrade but increase storage minimum.
MS offers the same. I wonder if Apple would be at all motivated to do that?
Most work around this with external storage locally. The change to USB-C connectivity for iPhones just made like a lot easier, but you can still use lightning to USB-C adapters. If its required for moving one device to another Apple policy of up to 3 weeks for unlimited cloud storage is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal Madda

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
If we've reached 17.6 by June, then I'd love to see an iOS 17.7, 17.8, 17.9.1, 17.9.2, etc., until 2025. I didn't think iOS was lacking in features. But I wish it was more refined. I still experience small bugs and glitches. ScreenTime that does not synchronize, ScreenTime that logs the Standby mode time (why?), blank icons in the menus, devices that do not appear in the new AppleCare warranty menu, etc. All the little things.

But the reality is probably not like that. So I wish iOS 18 would offer:

• More modification of the Control Center
  • Option to change/remove the two shortcut buttons on the lock screen
  • Possibility of quick press and double press on the Action Button, and move the menu to Accessibility
  • Updated icons that follow the style of MacOS
  • Remove the Exposure Notifications menu, let's move on. Alternatively. Move it under the Health menu.

...otherwise just fine-tuning.

Last edited:

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Here is a recent IOS 18 concept from just before this topics created, by Shea @concept_central some interesting GUI suggestions.

My favorite part of this concept is the macOS app icons! 👍🏻. Also, this may be unpopular, but I don’t think Stage Manager makes much sense for the iPhone. I hope it stays exclusive for the iPads, and continues to make some additional improvements that make sense for the iPad. Adding it to the iPhone I think would dilute the feature, and wouldn’t make much sense as you’d either just get blown up versions of iPhone app windows, or you’d have to install both iPhone and iPad versions of the same app, which wouldn’t make much sense either way. But I do think that split screen could be useful, especially on the iPhone Max models with bigger screens.

Reactions: 17fox

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I would love to see an app icon customization system similar to this on iOS and iPadOS 18!

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpeg
    IMG_2066.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
MS offers the same. I wonder if Apple would be at all motivated to do that?
Most work around this with external storage locally. The change to USB-C connectivity for iPhones just made like a lot easier, but you can still use lightning to USB-C adapters. If its required for moving one device to another Apple policy of up to 3 weeks for unlimited cloud storage is nice.

Keeping things on other storage is fine but the iCloud storage also effects syncing your phone, iPad and Macbook.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Keeping things on other storage is fine but the iCloud storage also effects syncing your phone, iPad and Macbook.
Thats optional against everything being cloud based. From a security standpoint it's convenient but then you have all the stories of sharing key access between too many devices being violated occasionally. There really no need to duplicate a lot the same things between all the devices IMHO. iPhones I do between multiple. From iPhone to iPad or a Mac nope. I transfer stuff manually if needed. Use the Mac to back up all Apple non-Mac devices before betas not the cloud. Others may rely on this more, but not me. ;)

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
I recently bought a new iphone SE as my daily device so I don’t expect iOS18 to have anything significant that will work for me

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I recently bought a new iphone SE as my daily device so I don’t expect iOS18 to have anything significant that will work for me
Why? Most new features in iOS are usually supported on the SE models as well.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Personally I think the circles are coming. WatchOS has had them for an age and it looks like VisionOS might become the lead product for a glassmorphic aesthetic across all Apple's OS offerings. Might they be wanting to create a unified look across all their devices?

I wouldn't expect icon customisation any time soon as Apple are aware that the default iOS icons are an integral part of the visual identity of the iPhone. Its no secret that Android users normally use them to create homogeny with the core Google Pixel line rather than any sort of wacky customisation. As I've said for years, its just a homescreen, the hallway between the rooms of your phone. Sure you can make a hallway look pretty but nobody wants to hang there.

• Sad

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Personally I think the circles are coming. WatchOS has had them for an age and it looks like VisionOS might become the lead product for a glassmorphic aesthetic across all Apple's OS offerings. Might they be wanting to create a unified look across all their devices?

I wouldn't expect icon customisation any time soon as Apple are aware that the default iOS icons are an integral part of the visual identity of the iPhone. Its no secret that Android users normally use them to create homogeny with the core Google Pixel line rather than any sort of wacky customisation. As I've said for years, its just a homescreen, the hallway between the rooms of your phone. Sure you can make a hallway look pretty but nobody wants to hang there.
If they swap out the current icons with circular ones, I’m going to be pretty upset if they don’t give me an option to either opt out or customize them back to the squircle shaped icons. I’ve seen mockups of an iPhone with circular app icons, and I really don’t like how it looks. I’d much rather the macOS app icons on iOS and iPadOS. I really, really don’t want to be stuck with round app icons. And they look really weird when used side-by-side with widgets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realityck and 17fox

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
In my opinion, circular app icons wouldn’t balance with widgets and the App Dock on iOS as well as the squircle shape does. I found a mockup of iOS with round icons, and it doesn’t look very good to me. I’m not opposed to app icon customization, I think Apple could add an option to change the app icons to circles in app icon customization settings, but if all icons just turn circular with no option to opt out, I think that’s going to irritate a lot of people, me included. If they’re going to make such a radical change, I hope they either give us an option to opt out (think the option to use the older UI for Safari when they introduced the new Safari UI in iOS 15). Or give us better app icon customization options with the ability to select between squircle or circular icons.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017

I'm on the "doubt" side for the circles. As for your thoughts on the VisionOS "glassmorphic" look...THAT I could see being more likely, and I would point to that new sidebar in the TV app on Apple TV as an example.

Between the sidebar change on the TV app on Apple TV, and also factoring in that, personally, I don't think the design of the Journal and Sports apps quite line up with the design of everything else...I think that might be a sign of what's coming.

Reactions: Kal Madda and 17fox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.