Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Just my opinion, and I really do hope I am right, but I do not think there is a cat in Hell’s chance of circular icons coming to the iPhone and iPad. And personally, I think it would look awful.
Agreed
VisionOS icons are circular because they are meant to be seen from multiple angles compared to a iPhone or a Mac where you usually look at them from the front view.
See https://www.rudrank.com/vision-os-fundamentals-creating-app-icon/
The circular app icon for visionOS can have up to three images with one background layer and one or two layers on top. These images are overlaid on top of each other. The idea of having these flat 1024x1024 images is to create a 3D/parallax effect. It is designed this way to respond dynamically when someone looks at it.
The GUI as mentioned before badly needs better wallpaper customization in iOS/ iPadOS 18. ;)

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
My XS is less than 6 months old (courtesy of Apple) but I speculate that iOS 18 will not support it.

Reactions: Kal Madda

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
If they swap out the current icons with circular ones, I’m going to be pretty upset if they don’t give me an option to either opt out or customize them back to the squircle shaped icons. I’ve seen mockups of an iPhone with circular app icons, and I really don’t like how it looks. I’d much rather the macOS app icons on iOS and iPadOS. I really, really don’t want to be stuck with round app icons. And they look really weird when used side-by-side with widgets.

But the macOS icons are just old iOS 7 icons with some shading, so it would be the exact same icons, but a few of them would get some shadows.

It’s been what 11 years now? It’s time for something new and pretty, the old flat bland iOS 7 looks need to be replaced by something modern and beautiful, not sure if Apple can find a half good designer though, that’s a big challenge for a trillion dollar company.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
But the macOS icons are just old iOS 7 icons with some shading, so it would be the exact same icons, but a few of them would get some shadows.

It’s been what 11 years now? It’s time for something new and pretty, the old flat bland iOS 7 looks need to be replaced by something modern and beautiful, not sure if Apple can find a half good designer though, that’s a big challenge for a trillion dollar company.
The macOS icons do look modern and beautiful. They aren’t flat. The iOS versions are flat. With better app icon customization, you could use whatever other app icons you wanted. But I for one like the pneumorphic app icons from macOS.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Looking at the pre-fact hype concerning Apple's AI effort, its appears to be a like a snowball rolling down the hill that will continue to grow in size that will obliterate most of the current Vision Pro discussions. AI is not something that is uniquely limited to one device such as VR/AR but effect how we do things with multiple Apple devices next Sept.

The OpenAI Sora demos caused a lot of wows 9 day ago, its kinda show how Apple could update a lot of their creative content applications to give content tools to people less skilled that need content based on some text.

While Sora was publicly announced today, OpenAI says it's still in red-teaming phase. That means Sora is being adversarially tested to make sure it doesn't produce harmful or inappropriate content. OpenAI is also granting access to a select group of "visual artists, designers, and filmmakers to gain feedback on how to advance the model to be most helpful for creative professionals." This is ostensibly to ensure creative professionals can benefit from the technology, rather than be replaced by it, but we won't really know until Sora becomes publicly available and leveraged by businesses.

Obviously we had MaxTech YouTube video from last week that ran with this as OMG what is AI capable of for Apple usage?

As with all speculation, watch this video mainly for its entertainment aspects as Apple's AI usage with IOS 18 could be amazing, but limited at the beginning of the era of AI enhanced applications.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I doubt it. The iPhone 6S received 7 versions of iOS. The XS is only at 6 and the 12 at 4. The last iPhone to only receive 4 versions is the iPhone 4 way back on iOS 7.

There’s support for the phone and then there’s limited support. A phone may “make the cut” and move to the next major release, but it may not support all of the features in the major release.

I haven’t educated myself enough on the particular hardware involved to have any thoughts on whether the poster’s SE will make the cut out or not. I’d say, however, that if there’s a year in which phones on the cusp of obsolescence may not make the cut, this might be it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
There’s support for the phone and then there’s limited support. A phone may “make the cut” and move to the next major release, but it may not support all of the features in the major release.

I haven’t educated myself enough on the particular hardware involved to have any thoughts on whether the poster’s SE will make the cut out or not. I’d say, however, that if there’s a year in which phones on the cusp of obsolescence may not make the cut, this might be it.
Agreed. With how big of an update rumors are indicating it will be I expect the oldest devices to miss out on some features. Even on iOS 17 there are a few instances of this.

I certainly wouldn't guarantee the A12 iPhones will make the cut but I think there's more than a small chance. There are several devices with similar specs both iPad and iPhone wise.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I certainly wouldn't guarantee the A12 iPhones will make the cut but I think there's more than a small chance. There are several devices with similar specs both iPad and iPhone wise.
It certainly not anything that necessitates iOS18 needing iPhones possessing a neural processor, as the cut from iOS17 A11 SoC based iPhones had that.

Reactions: Paddle1

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
The best solution is to just port the iPad dock to iOS. Always one of my favorite jailbreak tweaks.

To be honest, I think more than 4 icons in the iPhone App Dock would look kind of ugly. Then they wouldn’t line up with the icons on the rest of the Home Screen. I guess they could add an option to add additional apps to the dock in Settings, but I don’t know how far you’d get before the icons would be too small to be practical. Maybe it would be better to add the option to pin the App Library to the App Dock on iOS as one of the 4 icons. And add the ability to swipe up to reveal the App Dock from within apps. But honestly I don’t think that would make much difference to most people and the way they use their iPhone, and that’s probably why it isn’t that way currently.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
No longer own an iPhone, but as an iPad user… I’d hope Apple add the following to iPadOS 18:
  • The ability to stream multiple audio and video sources simultaneously
  • Revamp Notification Center (give it a more iPadOS vibe)
  • External Display stays visible while the iPad sleeps
  • More refinements in Stage Manager (specifically under App Exposé)
I know there are rumors of a iOS 18 redesign and folks here asking for more customization, while I’m over here as an Android user thinking “if they only knew” lol… but to each their own.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
One of my wishes is being realized (RCS Support), so my biggest wish outside of that is multiple users support of iPads.

Other than that I don‘t care about UI refreshes or gimmicky features they usually add to their apps. Give me base functionality expected from a „laptop replacement“ so I can share my iPad Pro with my SO without leaking work related infos.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
No longer own an iPhone, but as an iPad user… I’d hope Apple add the following to iPadOS 18:
  • The ability to stream multiple audio and video sources simultaneously
  • Revamp Notification Center (give it a more iPadOS vibe)
  • External Display stays visible while the iPad sleeps
  • More refinements in Stage Manager (specifically under App Exposé)
I know there are rumors of a iOS 18 redesign and folks here asking for more customization, while I’m over here as an Android user thinking “if they only knew” lol… but to each their own.
I think a lot of people do know haha they just prefer the rest of what comes with iOS and Apple.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Judging by the latest rumors, it seems like iOS and iPadOS 18 will get a visual refresh (though not resembling Vision Pro, which I’m very glad to hear). I’m hoping we get either more theming options for app icon customization, or we get the macOS neumorphic icons! 👍🏻

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think a lot of people do know haha they just prefer the rest of what comes with iOS and Apple.
And that’s why I ended with “to each their own”.. due to our preferences.

Judging by the latest rumors, it seems like iOS and iPadOS 18 will get a visual refresh (though not resembling Vision Pro, which I’m very glad to hear). I’m hoping we get either more theming options for app icon customization, or we get the macOS neumorphic icons! 👍🏻
It’s hard for me to wrap my head around Apple allowing icon customization… they have locked down changing system icons in macOS (previously we were able to do it).

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
To be honest, I think more than 4 icons in the iPhone App Dock would look kind of ugly. Then they wouldn’t line up with the icons on the rest of the Home Screen. I guess they could add an option to add additional apps to the dock in Settings, but I don’t know how far you’d get before the icons would be too small to be practical. Maybe it would be better to add the option to pin the App Library to the App Dock on iOS as one of the 4 icons. And add the ability to swipe up to reveal the App Dock from within apps. But honestly I don’t think that would make much difference to most people and the way they use their iPhone, and that’s probably why it isn’t that way currently.
Way back when you had to jailbreak in order to unlock and use the iPhone (in the US) on carriers other than AT&T, "Five Icon Dock" was my favorite tweak. I haven't jailbroken in years but I still miss it. You're right, though - the way we use phones has evolved somewhat and I don't think it would be as useful today with easier search/swipe/etc.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
My sister is getting married later this year and my dad asked if it's possible to do a family group iMessage conversation that's just about the wedding, separate from our regular family chat. It isn't possible, but that would be a very good idea. To do subject specific iMessage chats.

Reactions: gwhizkids
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.