Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 18's rumored AI features could revive faltering iPhone sales in China, according to DigiTimes.

iOS-18-Mock-Siri-Feature-Baubles.jpg

In a paywalled report, DigiTimes explains that despite the Chinese market pivoting toward high-end devices, iPhone sales have reportedly struggled since the start of 2024 in the region against rival brands offering generative AI features and foldable displays.

In December 2023, Apple reportedly saw a 13% decline in revenue in China, following months as the top smartphone brand in the country by shipments, and there have been further reports of even more severe declines of up to 40% in recent weeks. Chinese consumers apparently see Apple's diminutive selection of AI features as contradictory to its image as a pioneering brand.

DigiTimes reiterated previous rumors suggesting that iOS 18 will contain a number of new AI features, but cautioned that Apple needs to make significant progress in the AI space to meet consumer expectations and revive the company's popularity in China amid fierce competition from brands like Huawei, which are heavily investing in AI research and development.

On an earnings call earlier this year, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company was working on generative AI and would share details "later this year." Apple is expected to preview iOS 18 at its annual developers conference WWDC in June, and the update should be released in September. Some new AI features could be exclusive to the iPhone 16 models later in the year, with the lineup rumored to get a "significantly" upgraded Neural Engine.

Article Link: iOS 18's AI Features Could Revive iPhone Sales in China

• Haha
Reactions: dszakal

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
People in China know that iphones are boring slabs with poor OS and thus voting with their wallets.
I believe you're correct. The only reason I stick with Apple (iPhone) is their integration with Apple devices and other Apple users. However, they're extremely expensive for a bland product that needs updating. Their OS is preferred, however their hardware is lackluster, to say the least. A few years ago I would never consider going back to Android---now it crosses my mind from time to time. Android manufacturers are competing against each other and coming out with some really nice advances. However, Apple seems content in churning out the same bland looking devices year after year---but I do have to admit, they simply work and, as of now, that's my main priority.

kk200

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021
I believe you're correct. The only reason I stick with Apple (iPhone) is their integration with Apple devices and other Apple users. However, they're extremely expensive for a bland product that needs updating. Their OS is preferred, however their hardware is lackluster, to say the least. A few years ago I would never consider going back to Android---now it crosses my mind from time to time. Android manufacturers are competing against each other and coming out with some really nice advances. However, Apple seems content in churning out the same bland looking devices year after year---but I do have to admit, they simply work and, as of now, that's my main priority.
iOS might be considered keep private info. But it really lacks local features.
Until now, it's alarm cannot handle yearly adjusted Chinese working days correctly.

• Love
Reactions: Steve-Jobz

simidene

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
I agree. It simply works and does a good job at what it needs to do. I tried the new Samsung S24 Ultra, and the device is a beauty! The display is amazing, and have to admit it's better than the 15pro. What I found myself doing was looking for third party apps to complete daily work that IOS did natively, such as notes, the calendar app and others. Samsungs OS is the jack of all trades, but master of none. I would rather have a phone that's masters its functionality, even if its in a few areas, then have phone that is good in many but is not refined at what it does. Example, the finger print sensor though better than the P8P still is not very consistent, and the face unlock works good, though as soon as it gets dark well....doesn't work and you have to revert to your fingerprint. Also, you can't use the face unlock for banking apps etc, you have to use your fingerprint and you get my point...? But Apple does need to step it up in AI. I am not talking about with pictures, or what I believe is gimmicky stuff like circle something and it will find it for you on the web. I am referring to call screening, call translate etc..

Last edited:

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
I very much like Apple products and have never considered switching to Android for even a second, but... even I have to admit the iPhone is kind of... boring.

The OS works well, but it's bland and not nearly as delightful as it could or should be (I feel Apple started toward "the land of bland" with iOS 7 and it's flat design).

Consumers want to be excited by new things, and hopefully Apple's recent struggles in China highlight this fact to the management.

Give us depth to the interface, make things more fun, and throw in some new features... and stop playing it so goddamn safe.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
To run WeChat you probably don't have to go all iPhone Pro Max Extra Plus.
WeChat runs so much better on Android. On an S24+. With Google translate integration I can type in English and it converts to Chinese as I'm typing. On iPhone also with Google translate integration I need to type my entire message and press "translate" and then send.

Competitors are working on foldables, AI, smart rings, ridiculous cameras. Apple can't even get Siri right and is focused on emojis.

I used Google Gemini and circle to search extensively yesterday while shopping for plants. Normally I'd need to look at the tag on the plant and manually search the name on my phone. With Android now I can take a quick photo and circle the plant, instantly throwing out several images and links of what the plant is. Alternatively, I can open Gemini and take a photo of the plant, and it'll tell me what it is if I ask "what is this plant?" All running native on the phone without using a shortcut or other step(s).

Last edited:

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
drop in sales has more to do with big brother's displeasure with Apple moving some of its manufacturing out of China than anything else.
I can't believe I didn't think of that and you're absolutely correct. Their government used to use the iPhone exclusively---not so much now:

• More Chinese government officials have been told to stop using iPhones, according to Bloomberg.
  • The country's iPhone crackdown has now reportedly expanded to at least eight Chinese provinces.
  • Apple is facing a headache in China amid government pressure and competition from Huawei.

SmartyDuplex

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2023
I don't think this will work, and I even doubt whether the AI function of iOS 18 can be used in China.
It will be very difficult for an American company to provide AI services to Chinese users at present. The United States seems very unfriendly to the export of AI technology or products to China at present, and China is also very unfriendly to take local user data away from the local area for analysis.
So……

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I very much like Apple products and have never considered switching to Android for even a second, but... even I have to admit the iPhone is kind of... boring.

The OS works well, but it's bland and not nearly as delightful as it could or should be (I feel Apple started toward "the land of bland" with iOS 7 and it's flat design).

Consumers want to be excited by new things, and hopefully Apple's recent struggles in China highlight this fact to the management.

Give us depth to the interface, make things more fun, and throw in some new features... and stop playing it so goddamn safe.
I know what you're saying.. but it's just a phone. It's become a washing machine... everyone has a phone, and they have mostly been doing the same things for the past 10 + years now.

You use your washing machine to wash things... and you just want it to work well, so you can do other things. You use your phone to call, message, read, watch and listen. It doesnt have to be exciting.. it just has to work, and work well, and last long.

You get to a point where the excitement is not what your phone is about, but what you use it to do. To connect with people, explore a place, to read something exciting. Sure new features are nice to have, but they don't have to be exciting.

And in this century there really has to be a shift away from consumerism as it was in the last. Its environmentally and economically unsustainable... otherwise we are going to be wading through iPhones in the sea, buried in the land...

The true cost of an iPhone is more than what you pay at retail... there is the cost of dealing with it after it's been used for x years.

At least Apple take them back for "free" or trade in.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
WeChat runs so much better on Android. On an S24+. With Google translate integration I can type in English and it converts to Chinese as I'm typing. On iPhone also with Google translate integration I need to type my entire message and press "translate" and then send.

Competitors are working on foldables, AI, smart rings, ridiculous cameras. Apple can't even get Siri right and is focused on emojis.

I used Google Gemini and circle to search extensively yesterday while shopping for plants. Normally I'd need to look at the tag on the plant and manually search the name on my phone. With Android now I can take a quick photo and circle the plant, instantly throwing out several images and links of what the plant is. Alternatively, I can open Gemini and take a photo of the plant, and it'll tell me what it is if I ask "what is this plant?" All running native on the phone without using a shortcut or other step(s).

It does seem to me that Apple could do well making a dedicated iOS camera device that isn’t iPhone. Demand for dedicated point and shoots is increasing and there’s an argument that integrating high end camera hardware with phones is a case of swiftly diminishing returns at this point.

Additionally, given how advanced many dedicated music players are these days Apple could do well bringing the iPod back as a genuine high end audiophile device.

Of course neither of these will ever happen but it’s fun to dream.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I know what you're saying.. but it's just a phone. It's become a washing machine... everyone has a phone, and they have mostly been doing the same things for the past 10 + years now.

You use your washing machine to wash things... and you just want it to work well, so you can do other things. You use your phone to call, message, read, watch and listen. It doesnt have to be exciting.. it just has to work, and work well, and last long.

You get to a point where the excitement is not what your phone is about, but what you use it to do. To connect with people, explore a place, to read something exciting. Sure new features are nice to have, but they don't have to be exciting.

And in this century there really has to be a shift away from consumerism as it was in the last. Its environmentally and economically unsustainable... otherwise we are going to be wading through iPhones in the sea, buried in the land...

The true cost of an iPhone is more than what you pay at retail... there is the cost of dealing with it after it's been used for x years.

At least Apple take them back for "free" or trade in.

The United States sold its manufacturing infrastructure for parts back in the ‘80s and ‘90s. Prior to that time this nation was capable of making all sorts of products that could last a lifetime. The planned obsolescence inherent in the constant upgrade cycle is a relatively recent trend driven primarily by corporate boards and investors who demand ever increasing profit margins.

There’s a glimmer of hope though. For example, the textile industry is slowly rebuilding its domestic supply chain and clothing manufacturing capacity. Other industries are doing the same. Perhaps one day we’ll get back to buying something once and not needing to upgrade it ever again.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Shouldn't the export of cutting-edge AI technology to China be banned?
But they will just develop their own... and in general, tech in Asia is super advanced. Countries can try to control/protect IP and ban exports... but they can't ban other countries from developing their own.

Every country on the planet is reliant on manufacturing in another part of the world. It happened over decades but I don't think much thought was given to what would happen in the event of wars.. or trade wars.

I mean just look at the problems happening off the coast of Yemen. Anyone with any basic knowledge of the region could tell you that trade route was precarious and unreliable.

But we got to have those cheap products.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
AI won’t be enough. What users in China want is a redesign of some sort. Many of them want an iPhone 16 Pro that can’t be confused with the 13 Pro, 14 Pro or 15 Pro. If it basically looks the same, sales will continue to slide. Maybe that’s why there’s an indication that Apple may be trying to change the look of the camera cluster.

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Once iOS 17.4 releases (with new iMessage encryption) - I am going to guess that there will be even more bans of Apple device use in China.

All the comments about "Apple devices are boring" are kind of hilarious to me, considering what the alternatives require (unless you are running something like GrapheneOS on your Android device).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.